Cutting body percent fat on Plant-based diet?

Options
2»

Replies

• LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    ltomanek wrote: »
    eminater wrote: »
    I am also having a lot of trouble getting in my protein on a plant-based. I am adding in yogurt for one week as my calcium is also low at the moment.

I'm not so much worried about getting protein on a day to day basis. My macros fluctuate and I can usually tell when I'm not getting the right nutrients.
    But to stay mostly the same weight, gain muscle and lose fat, I'll definitely have to be more mindful.

I've tried whey based protein powder in the past when I was a swimmer. However, as plant-based, and not eating chocolate, I'm left to start at square one scouring online
    Really, just looking for a plant based option that won't gross me out that I can slowly add to supplement increased training.

So, if you are looking to do a re-comp, which seems to be your focus based on the bolded, then I would suggest the following:

1. eating at maintenance
    2. weight training with progressive overload
    3. keeping protein up

However, I am confused as it seems like you talk about cutting as well. Am I just being dense?
  • ltomanek
    ltomanek Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I am also having a lot of trouble getting in my protein on a plant-based. I am adding in yogurt for one week as my calcium is also low at the moment.

I'm not so much worried about getting protein on a day to day basis. My macros fluctuate and I can usually tell when I'm not getting the right nutrients.
    But to stay mostly the same weight, gain muscle and lose fat, I'll definitely have to be more mindful.

I've tried whey based protein powder in the past when I was a swimmer. However, as plant-based, and not eating chocolate, I'm left to start at square one scouring online
    Really, just looking for a plant based option that won't gross me out that I can slowly add to supplement increased training.

So, if you are looking to do a re-comp, which seems to be your focus based on the bolded, then I would suggest the following:

1. eating at maintenance
    3. keeping protein up

However, I am confused as it seems like you talk about cutting as well. Am I just being dense?

Not at all. I want to do a cut of my overall body percent fat, and also gain muscle, but not one or the other alone.
    1 and 2 I've been doing pretty good. It's 3, the protein uptake, that I've been slacking on. I just need to buckle down and try a few vegan protein powders and see what I like.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

1. eating at maintenance
    3. keeping protein up

Not at all. I want to do a cut of my overall body percent fat, and also gain muscle, but not one or the other alone.
    1 and 2 I've been doing pretty good. It's 3, the protein uptake, that I've been slacking on. I just need to buckle down and try a few vegan protein powders and see what I like.

its very hard to do both unless doing a recomp,which takes time. if you want to do a cut you need a deficit,which makes it hard to gain muscle but you will lose fat. any appreciable muscle gains will come from a bulk and with that come fat gain. how much depends on your surplus.
  • ltomanek
    Options

1. eating at maintenance
    3. keeping protein up

its very hard to do both unless doing a recomp,which takes time. if you want to do a cut you need a deficit,which makes it hard to gain muscle but you will lose fat. any appreciable muscle gains will come from a bulk and with that come fat gain. how much depends on your surplus.

Lucky for me, time is everything I've got right now. I put myself on a "just get healthy" 3-year plan, and I'm just now only about to start year 3. So I have an entire year to reach my personal goals that I'm aiming for right now; the very basic goals I set for myself 2 years ago. But that can always change.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

1. eating at maintenance
    3. keeping protein up

Lucky for me, time is everything I've got right now. I put myself on a "just get healthy" 3-year plan, and I'm just now only about to start year 3. So I have an entire year to reach my personal goals that I'm aiming for right now; the very basic goals I set for myself 2 years ago. But that can always change.

well with a recomp it may take a year or longer,depends on the person and genetics play a part too. but will wish you good luck into your journey
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

1. eating at maintenance
    3. keeping protein up

Depending on your stats, they lifting program you are eating and your protein levels, it can take 2 years to fully achieve your goals. But that also assumes consistency.

So what is your lifting program currently? I know you say you struggled with protein, so that will have to be a bigger focus.
  • minechart1
    minechart1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Hi, for the plant-based protein try vega protein, I have been using it for the past year and it is pretty good and you can get it in many different flavours
  • Dofflin
    Dofflin Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm vegan, add me and check my foods. I try to get carbs at breakfast and around workouts, otherwise focus on veggies and protein. I get my seitan from the asian store, it's called "fresh gluten" and its in the fridge. Vega protein is overpriced. You can get the same full amino profile from other brands, they usually say stuff like "organic, combination of pea, rice and.. other stuff". Soy isolate is the most disgusting thing ever! You can also buy in bulk online once you know what you like, that'll make it cheaper.
    My favourite seitan: slice into rounds, fry both sides (non-stick), mix a batter of peanut butter, soy sauce & de-fatted coconut flour, mix together and fry again. its like nuggets!
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    While I am not a vegan (or even vegetarian) I eat many days with plant based diets and still hit my macros (though a bit low fat!).

I am big on curries (made from home) with lentils
    I make my own protein bars with vegan protein powder (this is actually a huge helper)
    Quinoa salads/soups
    work in small amounts of cheese and almonds
    I ensure snacks have protein. PB, nuts, protein bars with a good balance of protein per carb, etc.

I shopped around for a protein powder (which you can add to protein bowl) for one that is higher protein and lower cal (or rather a better mix of the two). the smoothie mix powders tend to not have the best trade off.
  • ltomanek
    Options
    minechart1 wrote: »

Hi, for the plant-based protein try vega protein, I have been using it for the past year and it is pretty good and you can get it in many different flavours

Actually just finished trying Vega, just the plain one. Didn't hate it nor love it. Now I'm trying Plant Fusion, the vanilla flavor. We'll see if it is smoother.
  • ltomanek
    Options
    Update:
    Food - I have been using the vanilla Plant Fusion protein powder for a few months now and I really enjoy it. It doesn't upset my stomach at all and it digests really easily. I don't have it every day. Maybe just 2-3x a week max in a smoothie or smoothie bowl.

Fitness - Oh boy, I finally made the move to try to start lifting with a barbell. So difficult for me.
    Really having to focus on not letting my weak left knee cave in. Keeping my back in line, and just allowing my shoulders to be comfortable holding the bar and any additional weight, whether it be deadlift, zercher squats, front bar squats, or regular squats with the bar on my shoulders. I had to give myself a few weeks just to feel okay working with the bar. Just now starting to put weight on it!
  • MarvinsFitLife
    MarvinsFitLife Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Deficit!