Barbell Bench Press without spotter

Options
124»

Replies

• Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Z_I_L_L_A wrote: »
    Sometimes you need a spotter. That's all...some people say they don't need one because they stop a rep or 2 early or they never max. I understand that if you're a body builder and you flex while you lift. But as for power lifting you're gonna push the limits or you're just sand bagging your workouts. I wish I were one of those people that never fail, but then again I wouldn't be pushing myself either. Like I said, I max out every 6-8 weeks, but in between I push some sets to the edge and may need a spotter then too. I never said take each set to failure. I don't know why someone would say that. I've never seen someone do that ever. That's just stupid. What I said was if you've never failed how do you know what you can do? Even if you calculate everything out there's still to many variables to be dead on correct. I know most power lifters PR is higher in the gym than their meet PR's.

So bodybuilders don't push their limits, huh
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Sometimes you need a spotter. That's all...some people say they don't need one because they stop a rep or 2 early or they never max. I understand that if you're a body builder and you flex while you lift. But as for power lifting you're gonna push the limits or you're just sand bagging your workouts. I wish I were one of those people that never fail, but then again I wouldn't be pushing myself either. Like I said, I max out every 6-8 weeks, but in between I push some sets to the edge and may need a spotter then too. I never said take each set to failure. I don't know why someone would say that. I've never seen someone do that ever. That's just stupid. What I said was if you've never failed how do you know what you can do? Even if you calculate everything out there's still to many variables to be dead on correct. I know most power lifters PR is higher in the gym than their meet PR's.
    Doing a heavy single in the 3rm range(93% of 1rm) will give you a reliable idea of what you can do.

If the bar moved better than a single at that percentage or RPE, it's a pretty good indication you could lift more than estimated and should adjust programming accordingly.

Not that is your style, but it certainly works well for many strong elite powerlifters down to the people with lesser experience without possibly causing more fatigue that goes with maxing out more often.

It's simple, yet effective with the more data one collects on individual lifts. This goes with saying you can have success your way, just it is possible to gauge what a 1RM should be on any given day without actually failing.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

So bodybuilders don't push their limits, huh

Didn't say that. Body builders don't lift for power, they lift for size. Shawn Ray once said he could gain the same size while using half the weight and just flexing while doing the movement. You didn't read what I said earlier. Size doesn't equal strength, if so power lifters would look more like body builders. All that and that's what you got out of reading my reply. Nothing in that comment said that or meant that.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

Sorry. I'm not going to argue with you anymore. I'm also not going to let you tell me that I'm not pushing myself just because I max out on a schedule. So weird to me.

And I never said that either. The post was about spotter's, I was just trying to prove you need one from time to time. If I read into everyone's reply the way everyone reads into mine what they want to hear out of mine it would say not one lifter ever needed a spot or they have never failed on a lift.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    It's smart to have a spotter if you are working near your limit. Be safe.

Or use safety bars.

"Shyte" happens.
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I think it varies by individual and lifting experience. I'm a relative novice, and I recently came back from a layoff and have been learning to bench on a regular bench without a spotter or safety pins (I previously benched in a smith machine). I thought I had pretty much learned my limits and how to get every possible safe rep out. Yesterday I was benching 5x5 after heavy deadlifts and not doing great -- on my first set the last rep was a surprising grind. A guy benching next to me offered to spot the next sets. I was surprised that with the added security, the next two sets seemed easy and I banged out the 5 reps with much better form and far easier than the first set. The point is that -- for me -- a spotter or safety pins seems to be the key to improvement because I am much more relaxed and focused when I am not worried about having to roll the bar down or drop the weights. I'm sure other folks have a different experience, but a spotter or pins seem to really help me.