Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Right.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I really don't think adherence can be stressed enough!

The reason so many 'diets' fail is because they are unsustainable, pure and simple. IF one could adhere 100%, most of them would work (by creating a calorie deficit in one way or another, as the infographic posted above so clearly outlines). The problem is, people feel compelled or obligated to find a plan that makes weight loss so much more complicated and harder than it has to be because they've been sold on the belief that simply counting calories doesn't work (or else it never occurred to them that it could be that straightforward, I don't know).
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Whenever I get confused, it's usually because I'm lost in details that don't really matter to the point where I lose sight of the big picture. Once I realize that, I get back to basics...

1) Diet to control my weight: Cals In -vs- Cals Out
    2) Macros for satiety: reasonably balanced carbs, fats and protein
    3) Exercise for endorphins, endurance, strength, and general health benefits.

Beyond those 3 things, nothing else really matters.

I totally agree. This in a nutshell is my program too!

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes down to CI< CO. Those diets are about what makes keeping a caloric deficit easier, or what improves your health.

I eat LCHF or keto because it improves several health issues and because I am MUCH less likely to overeat while doing it. I gain weight while moderate to high carb and my health suffers.

Programs like WW, which was basically calorie counting (so CI<CO) but done in points to make it easier, did not work well for me. I was always hungry and uncomfortable, and I can't live hungry all the time. My dietary choice reduces my hunger so keeping weight off is easier. For me, the details mean the difference between success and failure. YMMV
  • Lynn5707
    Lynn5707 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your thoughts! Like I said before, I think I make it harder than it should be, by starting one thing or another then thinking, wish I could have fruit, or a sandwich or something. Thank you all again!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I think we all probably thought weight loss was trickier but once we have the tools here via MFP its liberating and 1000's of us have had success and what's more we even kept the weight off..oh yeah! :smiley:

Calorie counting works.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Lots of options. Take some time to try out a few and see what fits for you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Lynn5707 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Anyone ever get confused about all the different programs out there? Keto, WW, low fat? Keto/low carb makes most sense to me scientifically- but I am not sure I could stick to it long term? I am lifetime member of WW, but am always so hungry on it. So, in effect I am not really sticking to anything - I just keep going back and forth. I have started IF and like that.

I am 60and have about 30-40pounds to lose.

Thanks!

No...because when you understand the roll calories play in weight management you understand that any and all diets work on the same premise, which is a calorie deficit.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Here's one option I think you might like (don't dismiss it as more of the same whacky madness until you read it ;) ):

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm

It's what I did at age 59-60 to lose 50+ pounds, and stay at a healthy weight for 2+ years since.
  • Lynn5707
    Lynn5707 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Here's one option I think you might like (don't dismiss it as more of the same whacky madness until you read it ;) ):

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm

It's what I did at age 59-60 to lose 50+ pounds, and stay at a healthy weight for 2+ years since.

Thank you!