The post-workout nap

Options
Just curious to learn how many of you have a post-workout nap. When I was a dancer, I didnt need one, even after four hours of training. Since I started crossfit, I find myself needing the nap. Anyone else with some insight regarding this?

Replies

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Grow ups take naps??

Why not?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    During the summer, I do this a lot. Twice a week I go swimming. I also do a workout in the morning. So, after my early workout, a swim, and laying in the sun for a few, I go home famished, eat lunch, fall asleep lol. Especially the first time. I don't usually take naps during the school year...just doesn't work with my schedule.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Each person is different. I don't but DH does, and he doesn't exercise.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Only after my long runs on weekends (7+ miles). But they are glorious.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I take a nap nearly every day, it's one of the perks of retirement!
    I work out early in the morning, keep busy at home, in the garden or doing my volunteer work until about 2 or 3, lay down for an hour, usually getting 15-20 minutes of sleep, then get up and either go to an exercise class or get started on dinner.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,139 Member
    Options
    Only when I am sick, never after my workout because I need to start cooking dinner. I don't like naps and if I take one, I get up very drowsy and not too refreshed at all.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Only after a really truly exhausting workout will I sometimes feel like I need a nap. Super long trail runs/hikes, or longer intensive workouts (Murph).
  • santje00
    santje00 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I workout from 4:30 to 6:00 a.m. then go to work. My boss would probably be pissed if I took a nap... :p

Fortunately I have my own business, so naps are more tempting lol.
  • santje00
    Options
    Surprising to see so many different reactions to it. Mind you, I have been out of shape for a while and take a lot of extra weight with me. Still, if I don't exercise (like on my rest day), I don't need the naps at all. My naps are quite refreshing though, and it does help with some of the muscle pain afterwards and reduces my recovery. I'm just not so sure they are as good for long-term results, hence the interest in other people who might take naps after serious exercise.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Naps are my favorite things. I love to take them after a long run. Doesn't always happen, but I do enjoy them. I love to eat, sleep, and run really. In any particular order.
  • santje00
    Options
    Grow ups take naps??

I don't see myself as a grown up :p lol I'm a child at heart ;)
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    santje00 wrote: »
    Grow ups take naps??

I don't see myself as a grown up :p lol I'm a child at heart ;)

Lol. My child and work keeps me so busy I wish I had time for a nap.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    I workout from 4:30 to 6:00 a.m. then go to work. My boss would probably be pissed if I took a nap... :p

Lol this is me exactly
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Generally speaking, no...the only time I've done it is after an event for which I've ridden at least 50 miles or long training rides leading up to said event...and even then, it's more like I sit around most of the afternoon in a daze and then just go to bed early.

One of my general takes on fitness, at least from a calorie standpoint, is that if you're putting in so much work with exercise that your NEAT actually decreases because of it, it's probably going to leave you spinning your wheels...at least if it's done on a regular basis. Strictly from a calorie standpoint, a reduced NEAT due to exercise could reasonably offset the calories you burned exercising rather than increasing your total energy expenditure for the day...so the net effect is roughly the same as if you didn't exercise in the first place.

That said, I know when I've trained for half centuries and the like that I'm often bushed after a long training ride and sit around like a bump on a log most of the rest of the day...but in that case I'm training towards an objective and not really looking at calories so much.

ETA: a Sunday nap used to be a tradition for me...but with kids 5&7, that isn't happening around here anymore...

• aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    I literally cannot work out in the morning for this reason. Regardless of what I do, I fall asleep after. I HAVE to work out at night.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    A weekend treat for me! There is nothing better than a post run or post cycling nap :smile: Pure heaven.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Workout? Check. Pre-dinner nap? Check, yes!