The post-workout nap

Options
2»

Replies

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    jessicapk wrote: »
    A weekend treat for me! There is nothing better than a post run or post cycling nap :smile: Pure heaven.

Absolutely! Shorter AM workouts during the week don't make me sleepy, but a long weekend sweat session followed by a snack and a nap is an excellent combo.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 4:30, gym by 5, heading home by 7 and in the office showered, dressed, and face on by 8:30. No nap time in there until bedtime.

Weekends are even worse :s

I'll admit I could really enjoy a nap post shower, but alas, no can do.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,406 Member
    Options
    Typically only if sleep the night(s) before has been substandard - quantity or quality.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    On my weekend workouts yes. Weekdays got work so I drink coffee and get nose to the grindstone. One of the reasons I set up my hardest days for Sat and Sun.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    My workouts wake me up too much. It's why I don't work out at night. Gym by 5:30 am, home by 6:30, shower and in the office by 7 (love having a 5 minute commute).

But I do love my naps. Couple hours after a long run or ski and I can nap.
  • mortuseon_
    mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I always feel guilty if I nap after a workout, because then I'm technically eating into my activity levels during the day by turning hours of potentially active time into sedentary time, and partially mitigating the effects of the workout. Usually I work out before bed, if I have the time to do it at all, so luckily it isn't a problem.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    My workouts wake me up too much. It's why I don't work out at night. Gym by 5:30 am, home by 6:30, shower and in the office by 7 (love having a 5 minute commute).

Nothing like a little snooze after a day on the slopes...we usually go to my mom's after skiing and while she's cooking I take over the recliner and snooze for a bit...
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    jessicapk wrote: »
    There is nothing better than a post run or post cycling nap :smile: Pure heaven.

i love doing it after lifting as well. lift the weights, boil self in hot bath, sleep like roadkill for a few hours, wake up, eat.

so luxurious.

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Grow ups take naps??

Agree. Not happening for anyone with a full time job and family . Maybe on a weekend or vacation but still probably not.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Nothing like a little snooze after a day on the slopes...we usually go to my mom's after skiing and while she's cooking I take over the recliner and snooze for a bit...

Flat slopes. I cross country ski. Too scared to go downhill. :)
  • MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I always want the nap on the weekend after my long dog walks. 3+ hours in the fresh air makes me sleepy. I don't take them though, as I have too much to do and my naps must be at least 2 hours long or they make me feel worse.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Yeah, this is a real thing. If the workout stress level is high a nap is definitely in order. When I was a student and had more free time, I'd swim 5:45-7am, run 7:30-8:15, lift for maybe 45-60 minutes, and then fall asleep for two hours.
    Getting 8+ hours of sleep per night helps, though. And fueling properly during and after your workout. If you try to workout for 4 hours with insufficient food, you'll bonk.
  • Janice6543
    Janice6543 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Only after long runs during half-marathon training.