Options
13»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    nasvic8 wrote: »
    This thread has received a lot of attention. We all know women should weigh less but often weigh more. That's the whole problem hence the controversy because everyone is trying to be politically correct and add variables to unnecsssarily complicate my simple question. It's good to see younger girls nowerdays hitting the gym harder although their use of supplements is of concern. Thanks all.

The ideal weight range for a 5'9" man is 144-176...for a 5'9" woman it's 130-160. So if a guy that is really slim like my uncle and is on the lower end of the range and his wife weighs more but is in a healthy range, that shouldn't happen?

When I was in my late teens/early 20s I was built like a string bean and on the very bottom of my weight range at 5'10", sometimes even teetering into underweight. My girlfriend was tall and only an inch shorter than me...she played soccer and had an athletic build and weighed a good 5 Lbs more than me.

Not PC...these variables exist for realsies.

No if you asked the question in another way...like should a 5'0" woman weigh more than a 5'10" male?...then the answers would be, "that's not healthy"

Your question was very broad...answers to broad questions require looking at variables.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    BMI has its shortcomings.

While BMI can provide an accurate snapshot of weight trends across a population, it can also be inaccurate for certain individuals. Bodybuilders, for example, are often classified as overweight or obese because muscle is denser than fat and they tend to have more muscle than other people. Because gender, age and ethnicity affect a person’s body composition and fat percentage, BMI can seem ambiguous -- at the same BMI, older adults tend to have more fat than younger adults; black people tend to have more fat than white people; and a woman is likely to have more body fat than a man. That doesn’t mean, however, that a tall woman with low body fat couldn’t have the same BMI as a shorter, heavier man.

I'll avoid branching out to the unrelated BMI discussion and ask: what really is the point of your thread. That the average woman is fat? Well, yeah, so is the average man, and many children and pets. So you're saying women should try not to be fat? Well, sure. It's better for people not to be fat if we're talking in generalized ideals.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    This thread has received a lot of attention. We all know women should weigh less but often weigh more. That's the whole problem hence the controversy because everyone is trying to be politically correct and add variables to unnecsssarily complicate my simple question. It's good to see younger girls nowerdays hitting the gym harder although their use of supplements is of concern. Thanks all.

If we all know women should weigh less, why are you asking the question in the first place? You obviously already know the answer.

Variables matter because not every woman (or man) is the same. Body shapes and sizes vary in more ways than just fat and not fat. Height, bone structure, activity/muscle mass all make a difference to how much a healthy weight is for someone.

What supplements are you referring to? There is not any supplement that on it's own is going to cause significant weight gain with the exception of anabolic steroids, which is a rarity amongst younger girls.
  • cxeex
    cxeex Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I was (until recently) heavier than my partner and he’s a foot taller than me. So yes, I should definitely weigh much less than him.
  • ashleyrebekah392
    ashleyrebekah392 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My husband has always been small, when I say small he's 2 inches shorter than me, has a six pack and decent muscles and can eat all he wants and doesn't gain weight. I have broader shoulders and even though I'm fit(ish) I weigh about 30 pounds more than him. I get very insecure about it but I try to remember we are built differently and that doesn't mean I'm fat or whatever.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    What? Partners come in all shapes and sizes! Whether any person chooses a partner larger or smaller than themselves is purely a personal preference.
    A 5 ft person should weigh less than a 6 ft person. If both partners are the same height and healthy weight, a man will usually weigh more than a woman.
    Whatever relative sizes you start at can change. I'm 6 inches shorter than my husband and weighed less than him when we met. Over the years I gained way too much weight and weighed much more than him for many years, unfortunately. I have now changed that because I'm back at a healthy weight after decades of obesity. Now he's working on losing. We've loved and stood by each other the entire way, regardless of changes in size.
    I know some short men with much taller wives who I'm sure weigh more. Personal choice, not a problem!