Options
13»

Replies

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    This is another one of those post hoc ergo procter hoc things isn't it.

no. it is actually based on scientific studies.

it worked for the mice because they were more active (looking for food) - you cannot extrapolate that response to humans - i.e. IF DOES NOT automatically make a person become more active.

When I restrict too much, I have the opposite effect. I believe studies done on adaptive thermogenesis touch on this point too. Eating less tends to equate to moving less (in humans)
  • SITO1312
    SITO1312 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've had great success in regards of reaching my caloric goals by eating once a day, usually at around 8 pm. Certainly something one has to figure out oneself, what eating schedule works best.
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I've been eating breakfast around 7.30am, lunch around 12.30pm and dinner by 7pm my whole life, including when I had a BMI of 30 and now maintaining a healthy BMI. I guess I want to say both that 12:12 is a very non-remarkable eating schedule and not a fast, and that it has been entirely unrelated to my weight.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I am a calories in calories out girl. It never fails me. But I do wonder about things like KETO. I am not interested in doing KETO, but I eat lunch with a woman who does, and she eats an enormous amount of food, and and has shrunk from a size 16 to a 4. Yesterday she ate 2 rib eye steaks for lunch! How does that work?
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    Options
    amfmmama wrote: »
    I am a calories in calories out girl. It never fails me. But I do wonder about things like KETO. I am not interested in doing KETO, but I eat lunch with a woman who does, and she eats an enormous amount of food, and and has shrunk from a size 16 to a 4. Yesterday she ate 2 rib eye steaks for lunch! How does that work?

I could eat 2 rib-eye steaks for lunch and still have room to spare on IIFYM. Some days with my exercise burns my goal is around 3000 calories with a 500 calorie deficit.
  • eminater
    eminater Posts: 2,477 Member
    Options
    I think OP has left the conversation and has maybe also left MFP. Either she has been wooed away or was a troll all along. The 12 "fast" thing certainly stirred it up, but it was the "none of this works without exercise comment" that left me SMH and wondering. Or maybe she really was that new?

When I was a kid - fasting meant not eating for days. It was more of a spiritual thing than a weight-loss strategy. I don't get what "12 hour fast" even means. (ok, i get that 12 hour "eating window" aka daytime ... but COME ON!)
  • J_Fairfax
    J_Fairfax Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    wouldn't 12 hours fasting a day be really really easy like 8 hours sleep + don't eat 2 hours before sleep + don't eat for 2 hours after you wake up? like a really normal pattern of eating?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    J_Fairfax wrote: »
    wouldn't 12 hours fasting a day be really really easy like 8 hours sleep + don't eat 2 hours before sleep + don't eat for 2 hours after you wake up? like a really normal pattern of eating?

Seems like it to me.

I don't have an issue with people wanting to eat 1 or 2 big meals a day instead of spreading out their consumption. You can overeat in 1 meal or in 12 hours. Bop on down to your favorite burger shack for lunch a couple of times a week and get the triple bacon cheese mammoth, bucket o fries and slam down a drink the size of a child. Then add on breakfast, snacks, fancy coffee drinks, dinner. Most people only have to eat a couple extra hundred calories over their maintenance level to gain weight though. It is pretty easy if you aren't paying any attention to calories be it it 6 hours, 12 hours or 18 hours "eating windows".
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,019 Member
    Options
    mtoyia wrote: »
    The study didn't logged the calories the mice burned so I'm skeptical of their findings lol
    Me thinks the restricted mice group we're generally hungrier and move about more subconsciously in the cage as the survival/hunting instinct for sustenance kicked in while the ones who had access for food just laze about so they were fatter.

Just like us ... none of this works without exercise!

Yes it does.

When I worked in Aged Care there were people that did. NO exercise, I mean NONE, not even roll over in bed, because they were in a semi coma and tube fed.

They sometimes lost weight.

What happened, of course, is that the tube feeds were insufficient calories and if they lost significant amount of weight over 3 month period, their amount was increased accordingly.

But the idea that you can't lose weight without exercise - wrong.