Thought Experiment

Options
WorkerDrone83
WorkerDrone83 Posts: 3,195 Member
It's Friday and I'm bored. Anyone care to throw some input into this old thought experiment?

pr5dxc7xjh7b.gif

Replies

• tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    3. Not my business, walk off into sunset.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    s62v5uthn34e.jpg

ssnft9n09m66.gif

• WorkerDrone83
    Options
    Couldn’t I scream to get their attention and save them all?

It's been a while since I've heard this, but I think it was important to remove as many variables as possible. So you only have those two options and you have no knowledge about the people (gender, age, etc.)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Its too early for moral delimas like this. I need a little more coffee.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

It's been a while since I've heard this, but I think it was important to remove as many variables as possible. So you only have those two options and you have no knowledge about the people (gender, age, etc.)

and what would you do OP?
  • cee134
    Options
    I'd save the most people but I would think about it because if they are all stupid enough to get tied to a track these days....
  • empresssue
    empresssue Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    This is too reminiscent of high school algebra problems: 2 trains are on the same track; one leaves from St. Louis at 4:00 & the other from NY at 1:00; when will they meet.

I didn't like my options in algebra & I don't like them now :anguished:
  • cee134
    edited February 2018
    Options

This is tough. I’d like to think that I would spring into action doing the appropriate tasks to save the majority of the workers but what’s more likely to happen is I will freeze in panic and watch them all get maimed due to my inaction and be consumed by crippling guilt for the rest of my life.

The other variation is,

0c76kodyi1un.jpg

So if you don't take any action you kill more people, but if you do take action and switch it to track B then you still kill someone, but not as many. However, if you don't do anything then it's not your fault all those people died because that was going to happen with or without you. But, you also have the choice to save the people so...
  • WorkerDrone83
    Options

and what would you do OP?

I'd pull the switch and push the guy, for (at least what appears to be) the greater good.
  • cee134
    Options
    And if you want to get really deep on a Friday:

cxvu2s7rfbu9.png
  • empresssue
    empresssue Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    And if you want to get really deep on a Friday:

cxvu2s7rfbu9.png

You gotta do the loop-da-loop.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    kill the one to save the multiples

In life I try to just do the best I can and get over the rest.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options

This is tough. I’d like to think that I would spring into action doing the appropriate tasks to save the majority of the workers but what’s more likely to happen is I will freeze in panic and watch them all get maimed due to my inaction and be consumed by crippling guilt for the rest of my life.

this