2»

Replies

• fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    1/4 of a pound whilst doing "High Intensity Bodypump"?

I'd say this is a great achievment.
    The "lacking" loss can most likely be blamed on muscle-growth.

Carry on, you are on a great way.

And muscle just magically appears from thin air, does it?

???
    Probably I got something horribly wrong ...
    Reading the OP I found that she was doing Bodypump classes (Please note the use of plural!) and "Exercises at High Intensity" (Yet another plural). I assumed that this would pass as "Muscle stimulation" for just about anyone, obviously I was wrong.
    The intention was to express respect for losing weight whilst doing sports. Not more, not less.

22 "Woos" speak a clear language. Obviously my post was widely understood to express the opposite of my original intention.
    I'm sorry for this.

You don't build muscles while in a calorie deficit. And especially not as a woman. Lifting very heavy weights (not doing a cardio class such as body pump) and eating at a surplus builds muscles.

So, what exactly is the benefit of Body Pump class 2-3 times a week while eating at a deficit? Does fat not turn to muscle?
    -confused

Nope, on a caloric deficit, the best scenario is maintaining your muscles....at worse you lose muscles that's why bulking and cutting is common in the lifting world. You bulk (eating at a surplus) to build muscles and you cut (aka fat loss phase) to reveal the work you did on your bulk. The other way is to do a recomp (basically eating near maintenance), but the process is much slower than the bulk and cutting method. You also need resistance training, when your on a cut, you want to hit weights heavy, I doubt Body Pump does that and if it's like anything at my gym, it's more for cardio than lifting heavy, I could be wrong, because I never went to that class, I am only basing it on what I saw the people do in the class.
  • CaliMomTeach
    CaliMomTeach Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Thanks for responses on Body Pump everyone!
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

It's exercise...exercise is good for your overall health and well being. Fat doesn't turn into muscle...that doesn't even make sense.

If you are in a calorie deficit, you are catabolic...building muscles is anabolic...you can't be both anabolic and catabolic at the same time. You can build a very small amount of muscle in a deficit if you're new to lifting...but this is generally limited to very overweight/obese individuals and also a good lifting program. Body pump is great exercise, but it is largely cardio with some resistance...it will help maintain muscle mass, but it's not a mass building program.

If you lost 4 Lbs since Christmas, you were losing slowly then as well as now...you're already in a healthy weight range, so it's going to be slow. Only actual fat people lose weight quickly...and even then, it's only in the initial stages.

Well said cwolfman. I think there ought to be sticky about this (maybe there is), because it's such a common misconception. If I had taken my initial misconceptions and never learned form them, it would be driving me crazy trying to do this with unrealistic expectations. Expectations that are only made more unrealistic by the diet industry making promises that are wildly misleading, like "lose 7-10 pounds your first week". They of course, omit the fact that no way no how do you lose 10 pounds of fat in the first week.

Lift heavy in a deficit - muscle preservation, fat loss.

Lift heavy at maintenance - very slow muscle build or maintenance, very slow fat loss or maintenance.

Lift heavy in a surplus - muscle gain, body fat gain

There are some exceptions - particularly for those who are untrained.

Cardio in a deficit (without lifting) - fat loss, muscle loss, aerobic fitness and endurance increase

Cardio at maintenance (without lifting) - aerobic fitness and endurance increase

Cardio in a surplus (without lifting) - aerobic fitness and endurance increase, weight and fat gain.

• Amyislosingweight
    Options
    Hi everyone, really appreciate the insight here - need it as after 2 weeks I too have only lost just a bit more than a 1/4 pound in TWO weeks. I have 22 pounds to lose to get to the middle ideal weight range or 13 to get into a healthy weight range. I am 169cm. I've been going to the gym each day, calorie class has burnt upwards of 350, strength classes (which I've done more of due to scheduling issues) burn around 150. I haven't been tracking my calories, but I have cut out all processed foods, and don't binge eat after dinner. Is my case normal? Should I step it up? Would really appreciate any help/insights you have on this. Thank you x
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Any loss is a good thing. Remember, this is for the rest of your life. There's no need to be in a rush.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, really appreciate the insight here - need it as after 2 weeks I too have only lost just a bit more than a 1/4 pound in TWO weeks. I have 22 pounds to lose to get to the middle ideal weight range or 13 to get into a healthy weight range. I am 169cm. I've been going to the gym each day, calorie class has burnt upwards of 350, strength classes (which I've done more of due to scheduling issues) burn around 150. I haven't been tracking my calories, but I have cut out all processed foods, and don't binge eat after dinner. Is my case normal? Should I step it up? Would really appreciate any help/insights you have on this. Thank you x

Did you just start going to the gym? My scale went up seven pounds when I started lifting weights again, and it did take a few weeks for that water weight to come back off.

To step it up, get a food scale and start weighing and logging every morsel. There is some initial setup time, but then all your usual foods will be in Frequent or Recent and logging is much easier.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,863 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

It's exercise...exercise is good for your overall health and well being. Fat doesn't turn into muscle...that doesn't even make sense.

If you are in a calorie deficit, you are catabolic...building muscles is anabolic...you can't be both anabolic and catabolic at the same time. You can build a very small amount of muscle in a deficit if you're new to lifting...but this is generally limited to very overweight/obese individuals and also a good lifting program. Body pump is great exercise, but it is largely cardio with some resistance...it will help maintain muscle mass, but it's not a mass building program.

If you lost 4 Lbs since Christmas, you were losing slowly then as well as now...you're already in a healthy weight range, so it's going to be slow. Only actual fat people lose weight quickly...and even then, it's only in the initial stages.

Well said cwolfman. I think there ought to be sticky about this (maybe there is), because it's such a common misconception. If I had taken my initial misconceptions and never learned form them, it would be driving me crazy trying to do this with unrealistic expectations. Expectations that are only made more unrealistic by the diet industry making promises that are wildly misleading, like "lose 7-10 pounds your first week". They of course, omit the fact that no way no how do you lose 10 pounds of fat in the first week.

Lift heavy in a deficit - muscle preservation, fat loss.

Lift heavy at maintenance - very slow muscle build or maintenance, very slow fat loss or maintenance.

Lift heavy in a surplus - muscle gain, body fat gain

There are some exceptions - particularly for those who are untrained.

Cardio in a deficit (without lifting) - fat loss, muscle loss, aerobic fitness and endurance increase

Cardio at maintenance (without lifting) - aerobic fitness and endurance increase

Cardio in a surplus (without lifting) - aerobic fitness and endurance increase, weight and fat gain.

Welllll . . . I'd quibble a little on the cardio side, but mostly because I hate how we use that umbrella term "cardio".

There are lots of things people consider "cardio", and some provide more muscle challenge than others. For example, people are calling Bodypump "cardio". I think there may be enough muscle challenge in most such classes for many people to maintain muscle in a sensible deficit without true progressive weight training, especially if they weren't doing much exercise beforehand. I have recomped a bit (verrrrrrry slowly) at maintenance calories while obese, from rowing, which most people would say is on the cardio side. (Lost a couple of sizes over a period of somewhere between 5 & 10 years - wasn't tracking enough to know the exact timing. Very slow!)

I'm not arguing against the idea that the best and most efficient method to retain muscle, recomp, or build muscle is true strength training, especially weight lifting with a solid, well-designed, aggressive, progressive program supported by sensible nutrition. That's clearly the most efficient.

But I think we need to be a little more nuanced than lumping everything that isn't lifting into "cardio", and saying it all has no benefit WRT muscle.

Edited: Really ugly double negative, maybe triple or quadruple, previously in paragraph before last above.