Anyone else gluten/dairy free?

Options
2»

Replies

• TerranandKaylynsmommy
    Options
    What do you guys do for butter? It’s the last dairy food I’m holding onto because I just can’t find anything else I like eggs fried in.

My favorite milk replacement is cashew. Cashew milk ice cream tastes a lot better to me than almond or coconut, too.

I use butter favored coconut oil
  • HowUdish
    HowUdish Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've recently made the switch to a dairy free diet. I've found it pretty simple to make the adjustment and rather than try and replace things with substitutes I've found foods I enjoy and tried to avoid certain foods containing things like cheese and cream. One trick that has helped me out as well is when going to a restaurant and seeing an item like a drink has milk is asking them to use other kinds of milk if I really want that item.
  • martintmedina
    martintmedina Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’ve recently made the switch to being dairy free and wheat free as they both irritate my stomach. I’ve had a bit of trouble getting adjusted as I love cheese and love all things wheat and gluten so I would often cheat. I’ve never really been a big fan of milk so I don’t use almond/soy milk. To avoid whey I’ve switched over to pea protein as well. One thing that’s helped me is rather than replacing things with subtitutes trying to find things that fit within my diet.
  • TerranandKaylynsmommy
    Options
    I'm adjusting ok I guess. I just really miss cheese and ice cream lol
  • andyroo29150
    andyroo29150 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I went dairy- and sugar-free 3.5 years ago and have not missed either. I strictly limit fat and sodium intake as well. I am 61 years old. The dietary changes, along with a well-designed lifting program helped me drop 60 pounds and get off all medications for high cholesterol and high blood pressure (had been on them for 30+ years). The arthritis pain I had in one hip also went away. I use olive oil (just a very small amount) when necessary for cooking. I make muffins from oatmeal (not sure how that fits in with gluten, though).
  • TerranandKaylynsmommy
    Options
    I went dairy- and sugar-free 3.5 years ago and have not missed either. I strictly limit fat and sodium intake as well. I am 61 years old. The dietary changes, along with a well-designed lifting program helped me drop 60 pounds and get off all medications for high cholesterol and high blood pressure (had been on them for 30+ years). The arthritis pain I had in one hip also went away. I use olive oil (just a very small amount) when necessary for cooking. I make muffins from oatmeal (not sure how that fits in with gluten, though).

You can use oats or oat flour to cook with as long as it's gluten free :)
  • HowUdish
    HowUdish Posts: 36 Member
    Options

cheese and ice cream are tough to give up! ben & jerry's makes non dairy ice cream I really like, it tastes great!
  • TerranandKaylynsmommy
    Options
    HowUdish wrote: »

cheese and ice cream are tough to give up! ben & jerry's makes non dairy ice cream I really like, it tastes great!

Awesome I'll keep a look out
  • angiecullifer
    angiecullifer Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    What do you guys do for butter? It’s the last dairy food I’m holding onto because I just can’t find anything else I like eggs fried in.

My favorite milk replacement is cashew. Cashew milk ice cream tastes a lot better to me than almond or coconut, too.

I can't believe it's not butter vegan is what I use.
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    Chunky Monkey Ben & Jerry's is gf/dairy free. The non-dairy version, that is.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I scramble eggs in rendered fat saved from meat I previously cooked. Avocado oil is another option that I like

• kimothyschma
    kimothyschma Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions!
  • sylvahiker
    sylvahiker Posts: 588 Member
    Options

I may have missed this in the thread but just in case. Have you tried the lactose pills? I am intolerant to lactose and when I do face dairy (restaurants) I take three of these pills and I am usually set.
  • TerranandKaylynsmommy
    Options
    sylvahiker wrote: »

I may have missed this in the thread but just in case. Have you tried the lactose pills? I am intolerant to lactose and when I do face dairy (restaurants) I take three of these pills and I am usually set.

I've not tried them but I have hashimotos and I just do better without any dairy. But that is a good idea. Thank you
  • sylvahiker
    Options

I've not tried them but I have hashimotos and I just do better without any dairy. But that is a good idea. Thank you

Yeah I wasn’t sure. Have you tried Coconut milk ice cream ? I’ve not come across dairy free cheese - I am actually a bit scared to try it
  • TerranandKaylynsmommy
    Options

Yeah I wasn’t sure. Have you tried Coconut milk ice cream ? I’ve not come across dairy free cheese - I am actually a bit scared to try it

The coconut ice cream is decent but so darn expensive. The cheese scares me also. I think I'm going to experiment with making my own. Lots of promising recipes on Pinterest lol.
  • sylvahiker
    Options

The coconut ice cream is decent but so darn expensive. The cheese scares me also. I think I'm going to experiment with making my own. Lots of promising recipes on Pinterest lol.

Actually cashew milk ice cream is sooooo much better. It’s richer and creamier. I highly recommend. If you have any luck with the cheese
  • TerranandKaylynsmommy
    Options

Actually cashew milk ice cream is sooooo much better. It’s richer and creamier. I highly recommend. If you have any luck with the cheese

I'll try it and thanks :)
  • sylvahiker
    Options

I'll try it and thanks :)

Sure thing fellow North Carolinian