You must train legs.

Options
13»

Replies

• pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I walk on average about 40km a day, do about 300 squats & run. I think my legs are trained. No weights needed.

...lol.

Maybe they are pistol squats?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I walk on average about 40km a day, do about 300 squats & run. I think my legs are trained. No weights needed.

...lol.

Possible but i doubt it. The benefits of training legs 1 day a week with weights will greatly outweigh all of that activity though.
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I did legs this morning! First time going to the gym doing legs (usually I work out at home exclusively), barbell squats are fun!
  • pcastagner
    Options

...lol.

Possible but i doubt it. The benefits of training legs 1 day a week with weights will greatly outweigh all of that activity though.

Why only once a week?
  • mud7urtle
    mud7urtle Posts: 500
    Options
    Why only once a week?

He means in general. Progressive overload and using weights once a week will promote more growth than the alternative activities that were listed.

I agree.

Twice a week is in most cases most beneficial, in my opinion. One day for full strength, the next for hypertrophy rep ranges (8-15)
  • DeeBrownBaker
    Options
    I'm a newbie to weight training... but I walk daily (2.5 miles) and I do stairs 3 times a week... oh and I have an arthritic knee...

any pointers as to how I can strengthen and tone?
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    haven't been able to squat or deadlift for weeks because of phucked up lower back crew checking in

feelsbadman is an extreme understatement

I understand. I have hip bursitis and it screws up my training sometimes. I'm good right now though for squats and DLs :smile: even if I can't lift as heavy as I'd like :wink:
  • pcastagner
    Options
    Why only once a week?

He means in general. Progressive overload and using weights once a week will promote more growth than the alternative activities that were listed.

I agree.

Twice a week is in most cases most beneficial, in my opinion. One day for full strength, the next for hypertrophy rep ranges (8-15)

Oh woot! That's what I am doing! Used to go just for 6rm, but now I try for 3rm once a week and higher rep on the other day. I am on an upper/lower split.

If I can achieve just 30% of what you've achieved I'll be happy about that, so it's good news I'm following a similar approach, at least rep wise.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    haven't been able to squat or deadlift for weeks because of phucked up lower back crew checking in

feelsbadman is an extreme understatement

I has bum shoulder- so I'm doing legs like every 3/4 days- I feel like I'm turning into "that guy" who only does shoulders- or only does chest.

I'm a butt bro?? it's like a curl bro... but not??

feelsyourpainthough
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    Legs get trained 2x per week. No excuses
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options

I agree.

That's how I train legs as well as other muscle groups.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie to weight training... but I walk daily (2.5 miles) and I do stairs 3 times a week... oh and I have an arthritic knee...

any pointers as to how I can strengthen and tone?

Do you have a local swimming pool and/or a bicycle? If you alternated your walking with other cardio, you could protect your knee more. I have an injured knee too, and none of the lower body exercises that I am doing, from Strong Curves, cause me any problems. That said, your knee injury could be different from mine, so take care. I do squats, deadlifts, back extensions, cable side lifts (and the opposite movement for my adductors), glute bridges, and hip thrusts.

If you don't have a gym membership, there are body weight exercise programs, like You Are Your Own Gym. I use it when I'm traveling. The exercises become progressively more difficult, so that you continue to improve.

I can't recommend strength training highly enough! Good luck!
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    Why only once a week?

I agree.

Yes, sorry i didnt not calify. I hit them 2x a week (once on Squat day and one on Deadlift say during my 5/3/1 program).
  • mud7urtle
    Options
    Yes, sorry i didnt not calify. I hit them 2x a week (once on Squat day and one on Deadlift say during my 5/3/1 program).

The work shows.. legs look great
  • LolBroScience
    Options

The work shows.. legs look great

Thanks dude, you too!
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Your shrugs are pretty bad. Don't worry though, its a pretty common mistake.

I'm listening.. serious

my traps are weaker so anything I can do to fix this I am interested in hearing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYV_Tz9qo1k
  • italian_bella_xo
    Options
    i agree!! :)
  • mud7urtle
    Options
    Your shrugs are pretty bad. Don't worry though, its a pretty common mistake.

I'm listening.. serious

my traps are weaker so anything I can do to fix this I am interested in hearing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYV_Tz9qo1k

Thank you.. It makes perfect sense and I see where I went wrong. Will correct this