Walking (shoppinng)

Options
Hi,

How many calories do you think are burned by shopping? (i.e. "shopwalking") This has got to count for something!

Just regular walking. Walking, standing, looking...for hours.

Replies

• laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I am a stay at home mom. I am also a single parent. I am the sole caretaker of a disabled child. I set my activity level to lightly active, to cover things like housework and errands, since I do everything. That way I don't have to wonder how many calories these activities burn.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I would say walking 2.0 covers this.
  • kellesee
    kellesee Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    This "exercise tracker" is asking me about my exercise for the day. Today is my first day and so far, all I've done is shop, so I wanted to record something. My activity level in my profile is "sedentary" ...
  • kellesee
    kellesee Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thank you...I'll use 2.0
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I don't wander about when I shop. I walk quickly and I'm lightly steamed by the time I'm done. Totally depends on your shopping style.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Did you not go shopping before you decide to lose weight? If you did its part of your normal daily activity
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    You might want to get a pedometer such as a FitBit Zip. DH and I are always pleasantly surprised by how much a trip to the local Farmer's Market and the grocery store adds to our step count. Then you might be able to find out how many calories an x-mile walk burns for someone with your build. I should mention, though, that you need to consider what your body burns just by existing.. I once wore my heart rate monitor while driving a car and burned 30 calories in 20 minutes- in other words, I burn 90 calories an hour doing nothing, so if I walk 2 miles in 30 minutes and burn 200 calories the exercise generated only 155 calories. I would have burned the other 45 calories in half an hour anyway.
  • lcyama
    lcyama Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    if your activity level is sedentary, then walking does count as exercise.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Exercise has to raise your heart level for a sustained period. Walking around shopping is not exercise.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Unless you are power walking around the mall like those mall walkers, I wouldn't count it
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on if it's just a 20 minute shop or you are walking around a mall for 6 hours.

I never log my shopping even if it's extra shops I do when I'm racing around the place with the kids in the stroller even though I do work up a sweat some days (probably due to the climate in the mall being 10 degrees higher than it needs to be).
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Unless you are power walking around the mall like those mall walkers, I wouldn't count it..lol.

My favorite mall is a mile all the way around, and I make at least 3 trips around it and I'm usually in a HUGE hurry to make a movie or something too... My Fitbit puts it all as active minutes and it's usually an extra 10,000 steps by itself. So it shows up... and my power shopping IS exercise! :) I don't add it in extra though, as I usually always hit a workout that morning too. I'm doing this next weekend to gather some stuff and go see Elysium.
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    if your activity level is sedentary, then walking does count as exercise.

I have mine set to sedentary. But I do not count shopping as exercise. But if someone wanted to, then why not. I see some power walkers at the mall :).

I am a fast walker anyway, but like someone said...I shopped when I was heavier. So I just think it is a bonus and never count walking..unless it is exercising and I am walking at 3.8 mph on my treadmill.
  • metalvegan
    metalvegan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    if you try to count stuff like shopping as exercise so that you can get extra calories, you're never going to lose weight. I'd take it as a bonus (if any calories were actually burned) and not log anything. When you actually work out by running or lifting weights or doing yoga then you should count extra calories burned and those you can eat back. You don't have to exercise everyday to lose weight - don't cheat yourself by thinking shopping is fitness.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Exercise has to raise your heart level for a sustained period. Walking around shopping is not exercise.

Says who? For heart health, sure. But that doesn't mean that I can't burn calories without raising my heart rate.

OP: You probably need to raise your activity level to account for shopping, etc. Unless you actually lay in bed all day, you are at least lightly active. :)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I like how people are assuming she wants to track her walking in order to eat more. Some people record exercise to keep track .
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Sorry. I've worn my heart rate monitor for it, and it doesn't burn much above baseline. I've worn my UP band, and I can be running all day long through the stores and not hit over 6,000 total steps for the day. It isn't really exercise. Wish it was. My *kitten* would be smaller.
  • Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I would raise your exercise to light activity then you wouldn't have to worry about things like this. Unless you lay in your bed all day then there is no reason why it shouldn't be on light activity. I would find it annoying to have to log every single thing I do because I have it set at sedentary. :laugh:
  • angelac1296
    angelac1296 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm at a 1200 calorie deficit, so I log shopping and eat back about half the calories. Mfp seems to way over-estimate what is burned. Since 1200 calories is less than a person in a coma gets, I figure I should track things like 2 hours of walking around with my mom and sister every week. So what if we happen to be at a store instead of on a treadmill? The last thing my body needs is to kick into starvation mode and hold onto this fat!
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Hi,

How many calories do you think are burned by shopping? (i.e. "shopwalking") This has got to count for something!

Just regular walking. Walking, standing, looking...for hours.

I use the slow walking for things like that. (18.5 min/ km)
This discussion has been closed.