Is 30lbs too much weight for triceps? (Toning)

Options

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    In addition to what everyone else's input, which I agree with, 30lbs for what exercise? If I were doing kickbacks for tris, yes, way too much. If I'm doing DB rows, not enough. Depends on the exercise and your level of strength and fitness whether it is too much.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Yes. Toning is not really a thing. Soreness from lifting means you did some minor damage to the muscle fibers. They will repair themselves and you will achieve great strength if you keep stressing them over time. The chances of getting Hulk arms is minimal unless you spend hours at the gym each day. Some muscle in your arms is a good thing--and sexy!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    "Bulking" as a female is not something that will just happen one day by accident. Putting on muscle is extremely hard for anyone and doubly so for women and it takes years. You really don't have to worry about it.

Also the only difference between "toning" and "bulking" is how far you take it, both have the same start which is putting on some muscle.

To me toning is more dropping bodyfat down to show (some) muscle, but you do need a decent muscle base in the first place. Some people already have it without having to put on muscle or bulk.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    mulecanter wrote: »
    Yes. Toning is not really a thing. Soreness from lifting means you did some minor damage to the muscle fibers. They will repair themselves and you will achieve great strength if you keep stressing them over time. The chances of getting Hulk arms is minimal unless you spend hours at the gym each day. Some muscle in your arms is a good thing--and sexy!

** warning: pet peeve **

Why do people say that? If bulking or cutting is a thing, then toning is a thing. They are all concepts. I get that you don't tone muscle, but you don't bulk or cut muscle, either. Are you just trying to be argumentative (or condescending), or am I missing something?

There is no such thing as “toning.” Technically, muscle tone refers to the ability of muscles to reflexively contract. The baby has low muscle tone because it is unable to reflexively hold it’s head up.

Colloquially, however…

The word tone has taken on a life of it’s own. It’s used to refer to someone who has muscles and maintains low body fat so you can see the “muscle definition”.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    "Bulking" as a female is not something that will just happen one day by accident. Putting on muscle is extremely hard for anyone and doubly so for women and it takes years. You really don't have to worry about it.

Also the only difference between "toning" and "bulking" is how far you take it, both have the same start which is putting on some muscle.

To me toning is more dropping bodyfat down to show (some) muscle, but you do need a decent muscle base in the first place. Some people already have it without having to put on muscle or bulk.

Fair enough but the common term for that is "cutting" isn't it? I'm more reacting to the idea that one can accidentally put on too much muscle. I don't think this has ever been an actual problem for anyone ever. I mean has anyone ever woken up one day, looked in the mirror and thought "oh dang, I have too much muscle now."
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options

Why do people say that? If bulking or cutting is a thing, then toning is a thing. They are all concepts. I get that you don't tone muscle, but you don't bulk or cut muscle, either. Are you just trying to be argumentative (or condescending), or am I missing something?

The reason is people never say "Hi I want to cut but I don't want to lose any fat" or "Hi I want to bulk but I don't want to gain muscle" however people all the time say "I want to tone my body but I don't want to gain muscle". There is a clear confusion amongst those "tone-rs" that isn't there for the bulkers and cutters...that means a lot of regular forum posters carry a lot of baggage when it comes to seeing the word "tone".

It is a reaction to a misconception that people have where they believe a "toned" person is just very thin in addition to being fit rather than more muscular. The concept that adding muscle can actually make you look thinner because of the way it contours your body escapes a lot of people.

I dunno... bulking to me suggests adding muscle mass. How much is too much is up to the individual. Cutting means reducing body fat. How lean is too lean is up to the individual. Toning is increasing muscle definition, which could involve bulking, cutting, or both depending on the individual.

But I just don't see how "toning isn't a thing" is even remotely helpful.
  • jjpptt2
    Options

There is no such thing as “toning.” Technically, muscle tone refers to the ability of muscles to reflexively contract. The baby has low muscle tone because it is unable to reflexively hold it’s head up.

Colloquially, however…

The word tone has taken on a life of it’s own. It’s used to refer to someone who has muscles and maintains low body fat so you can see the “muscle definition”.

So saying "there's no such thing as toning" is simply being very literal?
  • Aaron_K123
    edited February 2018
    Options

The reason is people never say "Hi I want to cut but I don't want to lose any fat" or "Hi I want to bulk but I don't want to gain muscle" however people all the time say "I want to tone my body but I don't want to gain muscle". There is a clear confusion amongst those "tone-rs" that isn't there for the bulkers and cutters...that means a lot of regular forum posters carry a lot of baggage when it comes to seeing the word "tone".

It is a reaction to a misconception that people have where they believe a "toned" person is just very thin in addition to being fit rather than more muscular. The concept that adding muscle can actually make you look thinner because of the way it contours your body escapes a lot of people.

I dunno... bulking to me suggests adding muscle mass. How much is too much is up to the individual. Cutting means reducing body fat. How lean is too lean is up to the individual. Toning is increasing muscle definition, which could involve bulking, cutting, or both depending on the individual.

Oh I agree that just saying "toning isn't a thing" period is condescending and unhelpful. I just understand where it is coming from, it is coming from a regular poster responding to a "I am worried I am going to put on muscle when all I want to do is tone" post for the hundredth time and finally just snapping from aggravation over how a myth that you can accidently put on too much muscle just won't die. That isn't an excuse for that, just saying I get where it comes from.

That said I haven't seen "toning isn't a thing." here, I have seeing "toning isn't a thing....(further explanation)"
  • jjpptt2
    Options

Oh I agree that just saying "toning isn't a thing" period is condescending and unhelpful. I just understand where it is coming from, it is coming from a regular poster responding to a "I am worried I am going to put on muscle when all I want to do is tone" post for the hundredth time and finally just snapping. That isn't an excuse for that, just saying I get where it comes from.

Gotcha. And I'm pretty sure I agree.

Thanks.
  • sardelsa
    edited February 2018
    Options

Fair enough but the common term for that is "cutting" isn't it? I'm more reacting to the idea that one can accidentally put on too much muscle. I don't think this has ever been an actual problem for anyone ever. I mean has anyone ever woken up one day, looked in the mirror and thought "oh dang, I have too much muscle now."

Yea I don't know if the term "cutting" is common, but essentially you want to cut/lean out.. preserve muscle while losing fat.

It's not typical but it can happen. It may not happen overnight, but I feel that way about my quads sometimes, they are a bit larger than I would prefer them to be. But my body is a result of several bulk cycles so not an accident.

Also keep in mind in this particular case, OP has stated she is eating in a surplus, so it will be more of a concern than if she was eating in a deficit.
  • Aaron_K123
    edited February 2018
    Options

Yea I don't know if the term "cutting" is common, but essentially you want to cut/lean out.. preserve muscle while losing fat.

It's not typical but it can happen. It may not happen overnight, but I feel that way about my quads sometimes, they are a bit larger than I would prefer them to be. But my body is a result of several bulk cycles so not an accident.

Yeah well I imagine it is hard to work enough to look as amazing as you without having some amount of perfectionism that makes you constantly self-critique aspects of your body.
  • sardelsa
    Options

Yeah well it is hard to look as amazing as you without having some aspect of perfectionism that makes you constantly self-critique to that level I imagine.

Haha thanks.. but I love the strength that comes with them more so while I don't do quad isolated work, I don't avoid them either!
  • Aaron_K123
    edited February 2018
    Options

Yeah well it is hard to look as amazing as you without having some aspect of perfectionism that makes you constantly self-critique to that level I imagine.

Haha thanks.. but I love the strength that comes with them more so while I don't do quad isolated work, I don't avoid them either!

I think being that fit is attractive on multiple levels...one is the physical appearance of course but along with that comes just and understanding that to achieve that a person needs to be able to focus and apply a certain caliber of determination that not very many people can muster. And that sort of just clear success through applied focus written upon your body has its own appeal. If someone has a lot of money you don't know if that is because they are hard working and dedicated or because they had a big inheritance...if someone is that fit you know it came from them.

I understand different people find different things attractive but it is hard for me to imagine someone (anyone really) deciding to lift weights and find time to do so and end up being worse off than if they hadn't done that. Yeah I am sure there are some extreme examples but I choose to consider the most likely outcome which is that one will become stronger, more fit and look better as a result. That second guessing weight lifting on the fear you will become "too bulky" is not constructive towards that end.
  • sardelsa
    Options

I think being that fit is attractive on multiple levels...one is the physical appearance of course but along with that comes just and understanding that to achieve that a person needs to be able to focus and apply a certain caliber of determination that not very many people can muster. And that sort of just clear success through applied focus written upon your body has its own appeal. If someone has a lot of money you don't know if that is because they are hard working and dedicated or because they had a big inheritance...if someone is that fit you know it came from them.

I understand different people find different things attractive but it is hard for me to imagine someone (anyone really) deciding to lift weights and find time to do so and end up being worse off than if they hadn't done that. Yeah I am sure there are some extreme examples but I choose to consider the most likely outcome which is that one will become stronger, more fit and look better as a result. That second guessing weight lifting on the fear you will become "too bulky" is not constructive towards that end.

That last sentence is right on. I was always scared of getting too bulky and now I regret not working to build my upper body more. I am weaker and don't look as balanced as I'd like. But that's ok.. sometimes people have to live and learn!