Do you force yourself to eat healthy stuff you don't like just to hit your macros?

Options
Or do you just eat stuff you like, as long as it's within your calorie requirement? I've been making myself eat some stuff I don't like, but now am re-thinking this. It seems like a waste of precious calories.

Replies

• CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I find things that I like that meet my macro needs, but truth be told I could do better abt getting more fruits and vegetables in place of grains.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Yeah, sometimes. I've literally been thinking, while drinking 150 calories of goop, "this is disgusting."

But that's the rare casein pre-sleep. Generally, no. I make things I like. What have you been not enjoying? I'm sure there are other ways to get those cals/macros.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I don't force myself to eat anything I don't like. Fat, protein, and carbohydrates are in all sorts of foods. If I don't like a particular food, I can find something else that meets those needs.

I will sometimes try something prepared a couple different ways to ensure that I really dislike it, but I don't force myself to eat anything.

Life's too short and there are too many wonderful foods out there.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    There are too many tasty things I WANT to eat to eat things that I don't like.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    When I started tracking macros, I aimed for high fat, and I find fat delicious... so I can't remember any forcing. Maybe I just can't remember it :D Anyway, I used to eat "healthy stuff I didn't like" all the time before I found MFP, and before I had even heard about "macros", though. Now... the very idea of eating something I don't like unless that's the only option available and I'm starving... sounds ridiculous, it feels like an attack on my personal space.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I don't eat or drink things I don't like. I only have so many calories available and I refuse to waste them. The beauty of macros is that they are found in various distributions in various foods.

I aim for 80% of my calories from nutrient-dense foods and 20% from treats. That gives me the nutrition I need with complete flexibility in what I eat.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Nope. Life is too short to eat food you don't like.
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I eat what I like! Why would I waste money, time, and calories eating stuff I think is gross? Take a multi-vitamin daily to cover any holes in the diet. (No, it won't makeup for everything - but it's a good start).
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Yea.. more often than I should. In a deficit I typically don't like to waste my calories on bland food, but I will choose certain foods I don't love if they are filling or protein rich etc.

By far the worst is when I am bulking.. I have to cram and force a lot of food in, even when I don't want it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    iowalinda wrote: »
    Or do you just eat stuff you like, as long as it's within your calorie requirement? I've been making myself eat some stuff I don't like, but now am re-thinking this. It seems like a waste of precious calories.

Yep, I strongly believe it is, but I also think it's easy enough to have a balanced nutrient-dense and sufficient diet without eating things you dislike, for the vast majority of people (however, if someone hates all vegetables I'd say learn to like some vegetables).

You don't need to hit macros perfectly every day.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    iowalinda wrote: »

There's usually/always something tasty that will meet macros.
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    goatg wrote: »
    What have you been not enjoying? I'm sure there are other ways to get those cals/macros.
    Well, today it was black beans. I've been trying to get more protein and I'm not much of a meat eater. I made the black beans into Vegan meatloaf. I forced myself to eat it, but did not enjoy it. Then I was mad at myself for wasting my calories on something I didn't like :( I know I could get protein from dairy (which I love), but it doesn't agree with me.

• goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-get-protein-vegetarian-diet-3376935

Random, but did you know that spinach has 9 grams protein/70 calories? Check your green leafy vegetables! :)

Egg whites are great too (unless you're totally vegan).

Also, don't beat yourself up over it! There's a learning curve and this is one part of that process. :)
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I don't eat food I don't like, ever. It's not necessary when there are so many tasty foods that meet my macros. But truthfully, the only macro I really care about is protein. Everything else just falls wherever.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I never eat stuff I don't like, but I very often eat stuff when I'd probably prefer something else. But giving in to every food desire was what made me overweight....
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I eat stuff I like that fits my macros - including a lot of "healthy" stuff. I like a variety of foods. I do also eat "junk," but must of the junk I eat also includes some level of nutrition.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    goatg wrote: »
    https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-get-protein-vegetarian-diet-3376935

Random, but did you know that spinach has 9 grams protein/70 calories? Check your green leafy vegetables! :)

That's a lot of spinach (about 350 grams).

OT: I don't eat foods I don't like.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If I don't like it, I'm not going to eat it