Do you force yourself to eat healthy stuff you don't like just to hit your macros?

Options

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    No way would I eat anything I didn't like. If you don't like something find an alternative.

What if the alternative is nothing?

There has be lots of alternatives- personally I'm not fussed on fruit so I don't eat much of it, but I LOVE veg.
    I don't love avocado, no biggie, its not a necessity in my diet.

I understand, but what if I am not hungry and I'd rather eat nothing than anything? Just offering a different perspective, because it does happen!

If you're not hungry and its a one off its ok not to eat. But if you consistently feel not hungry and NEED the calories then you need to find calorie dense foods that require only a little amount of them to really nudge up the calorie intake - for me that would be a few spoonfuls of peanut butter or a few handfuls of nuts - a few hundred cals just like that.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I find eggs so disgusting I actually gag if I'm eating a one. My friends and family love to watch me eat eggs because of it. Usually makes them howl with laughter.

I eat around 2-3 eggs daily and I drink about 3-4 glasses of water just to get them down

Then there are banans.... Oh yeah the bloody bananas. I eat 1 everyday before my morning workouts... I just make sure it's when I'm really hungry.. that's the only way I'll eat a banana.. if I'm hungry enough.

You could make a smoothie with pasteurized egg whites and bananas, but it would taste a lot like bananas unless you add enough peanut butter (or powder depending on your calorie allowance) haha
  • sardelsa
    Options
    No way would I eat anything I didn't like. If you don't like something find an alternative.

There has be lots of alternatives- personally I'm not fussed on fruit so I don't eat much of it, but I LOVE veg.

I understand, but what if I am not hungry and I'd rather eat nothing than anything? Just offering a different perspective, because it does happen!

If you're not hungry and its a one off its ok not to eat. But if you consistently feel not hungry and NEED the calories then you need to find calorie dense foods that require only a little amount of them to really nudge up the calorie intake - for me that would be a few spoonfuls of peanut butter - a few hundred cals just like that.

Yea but I have to do that all day long, everyday. I'm not trying to be whiny about it, but it can get hard. There comes a point where the calorie dense stuff feels calorie dense. Even fats, juices, even cupcakes, donuts. Forcing a smoothie down sometimes is really the easiest way, although it has to be before bed so I don't feel like a brick hit me all day.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    edited February 2018
    Options

If you're not hungry and its a one off its ok not to eat. But if you consistently feel not hungry and NEED the calories then you need to find calorie dense foods that require only a little amount of them to really nudge up the calorie intake - for me that would be a few spoonfuls of peanut butter - a few hundred cals just like that.

Yea but I have to do that all day long, everyday. I'm not trying to be whiny about it, but it can get hard. There comes a point where the calorie dense stuff feels calorie dense. Even fats, juices, even cupcakes, donuts. Forcing a smoothie down sometimes is really the easiest way, although it has to be before bed so I don't feel like a brick hit me all day.

So you really don't have natural hunger cues? you don't feel hunger? wow! I would like to feel that just a little bit now and again. Had you an ED at some point? I'm just trying to understand how its possible to not feel hunger. And I can imagine not eating if you didn't want would be hard so I empathize. I trying to think of when I'm full when the thought of eating more would make me feel awful, is that how you feel?
  • sardelsa
    Options

So you really don't have natural hunger cues? you don't feel hunger? wow! I would like to feel that just a little bit now and again. Had you an ED at some point? I'm just trying to understand how its possible to not feel hunger. And I can imagine not eating if you didn't want would be hard so I empathize. I trying to think of when I'm full when the thought of eating more would make me feel awful, is that how you feel?

No I do feel hunger, but only enough hunger to meet my needs. I am bulking... on a ridiculous amount of calories, it is ok for a few weeks but I've gained over 10lbs so my calorie needs keep increasing, and my body is fighting to do it.. all it wants to do is maintain or lose. Again I don't want to complain and be whiny because I have chosen to do this...but just offering a different perspective on how some people may have to force certain foods, especially if they have high calorie needs or certain macros to hit. But yea picture being very full and having to eat more, even drink more. I do it... but it gets uncomfortable (physically and mentally)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    edited February 2018
    Options
    @sardelsa thanks for explaining, that does help. If you are bulking then I guess its hard to get used to eating much more. Have you thought about starting your own thead in the 'gaining weight and body building' section? there are people there who are likely to be able to relate and offer advice.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    @sardelsa thanks for explaining, that does help. If you are bulking then I guess its hard to get used to eating much more. Have you thought about starting your own thead in the 'gaining weight and body building' section? there are people there who are likely to be able to relate and offer advice.

Haha, yea I am actually one of the frequent ones that help in there. I need to take more of the advice I give, just in a funk lately (I had the flu a few weeks ago so I think it is still affecting my appetite!)

Thanks for listening and understanding, I know it is a weird concept to grasp.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options

Haha, yea I am actually one of the frequent ones that help in there. I need to take more of the advice I give, just in a funk lately (I had the flu a few weeks ago so I think it is still affecting my appetite!)

Thanks for listening and understanding, I know it is a weird concept to grasp.

No worries :smile: I betcha that flu is still affecting your appetite so cut yourself some slack. And you're right, if you give good advice to others, use that advice on yourself.

All the best.
    Ruth
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    No, I won't make myself eat anything I don't like. There's plenty of nice stuff out there that fits in with calories and macros.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I try really hard not to waste calories on food I like. It took a while to get there, but if it's gross, I don't eat it. Calories are precious!
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Yes! Chicken breasts. If it's not drowning in something, I can barely eat it without gagging. But, my oldest seems to only want chicken lately, so I compromise and make it a few times a week. Plus it's just such a fast and easy way to get protein - can you please pass the Grey Poupon? :D
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    mdcoug wrote: »
    Yes! Chicken breasts. If it's not drowning in something, I can barely eat it without gagging. But, my oldest seems to only want chicken lately, so I compromise and make it a few times a week. Plus it's just such a fast and easy way to get protein - can you please pass the Grey Poupon? :D

Nothing wrong with prettying up the chicken and adding sauces :smile: curry/sweet and sour/ chilli/ honey and mustard...whatever it takes to make it taste good. Chicken can be bland in general.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    yes and no. I stick a lot of vegetables in my lunch and dinner meals and if it truly didn't matter, I would probably only eat like 1 serving of veggies per day. I don't DISLIKE any of it though.

I do notice I feel better eating plenty of veggies and drinking plenty of water. If I felt the same either way and calories were truly all that mattered, I'd probably eat like a bean burrito, caramel candy, and some chocolate milk each day and that's it!
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I go for the 80/20 rule. 80% whole, nutrient-dense foods, 20% whatever I want as long as it's in macros/calories. Luckily for me, I enjoy the majority of "healthy" foods, and the ones I'm not keen on I won't put in my meal plan. Focus on whole foods that YOU enjoy first and foremost, and then see if you're getting enough micronutrients in addition to the macros. There are easy ways to get in the micros if need-be. Do what you need to to get going, and adjust as you go along! There's no cookie-cutter right or wrong :)
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Well, I will sometimes eat something that didn't turn out as hoped just to not waste food. But I wouldn't make it again!

Do you eat fish? Nuts? Eggs?
    Yes, I do eat those things. I need to incorporate them into my meals more often. I apparently have a lack of imagination when it comes to food, which causes me to fall into a menu rut.

• DamienAngelica
    DamienAngelica Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    iowalinda wrote: »
    Well, I will sometimes eat something that didn't turn out as hoped just to not waste food. But I wouldn't make it again!

Do you eat fish? Nuts? Eggs?
    Yes, I do eat those things. I need to incorporate them into my meals more often. I apparently have a lack of imagination when it comes to food, which causes me to fall into a menu rut.

This is part of the reason why I eat the same things over and over again. I'm not that creative in the kitchen, other than experimenting with different spices on chicken when I make it. I tend to structure my dinners around potatoes because I love them and they keep me full.

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I'm omnivorous. Reaching for macros is not a problem.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I used to eat some lousy stuff to hit my macros before I figured out how to cook, so yeah. Concoctions of tuna fish and beans and BBQ sauce! Thankfully, that was a long time ago. ;)

• goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    I literally guzzled down 600 calories in my 30 minute post-workout window and didn't enjoy a single sip. It was all I could do not to throw up.

I actually said, "eating has become a chore."

I look forward to my tasteless, chalky casein this evening.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    goatg wrote: »
    https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-get-protein-vegetarian-diet-3376935

Random, but did you know that spinach has 9 grams protein/70 calories? Check your green leafy vegetables! :)

That's a lot of spinach (about 350 grams).

OT: I don't eat foods I don't like.

True. But maybe you go for the spinach in your salad instead of romaine next time : )