How did I get to this?

Options

Replies

• becaholic
    becaholic Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Girl when you get on the scale and the number didn't move it's really discouraging .. but when you look in the mirror and your arms look a little smaller and you aren't as out of breath walking up the stairs and you have A little more energy, at the end of the day you think "all these little victories add up." I've gained 10lbs back this past month, so I am back to 270. It takes a toll on your mental health lol, but I still think damn I've come a long way, I can keep going. I'm sorry about what's happening in your life. Just remember you still have to do what's best for you because you still have a whole lifetime ahead of you. Good luck! <3
  • amberkins
    amberkins Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you, I worked really hard and got down to 235, then started a new job and life got in the way. It seemed i woke up one day and was 290lbs. I'm down to about 273 now and feeling much better, after just 10lbs I could breath better, roll over in bed easier. Take it one day at a time and we'll get to where we need to be!
  • JessieCanDoThis
    JessieCanDoThis Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    becaholic wrote: »
    Girl when you get on the scale and the number didn't move it's really discouraging .. but when you look in the mirror and your arms look a little smaller and you aren't as out of breath walking up the stairs and you have A little more energy, at the end of the day you think "all these little victories add up." I've gained 10lbs back this past month, so I am back to 270. It takes a toll on your mental health lol, but I still think damn I've come a long way, I can keep going. I'm sorry about what's happening in your life. Just remember you still have to do what's best for you because you still have a whole lifetime ahead of you. Good luck! <3

I can’t wait to see some results. A part of me is scared to go on the scale though. I feel I’ve made progress, I just don’t want to be disappointed again
  • JessieCanDoThis
    Options
    amberkins wrote: »
    I'm right there with you, I worked really hard and got down to 235, then started a new job and life got in the way. It seemed i woke up one day and was 290lbs. I'm down to about 273 now and feeling much better, after just 10lbs I could breath better, roll over in bed easier. Take it one day at a time and we'll get to where we need to be!

Congrats on the weight loss. I can’t wait to see the pounds shed off!
  • DTwoMama
    DTwoMama Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have tried and quit at losing weight so many times in my life! I’ll be 61 this month and I want my 61st year to be the one that I lose the weight for good! I want to run and play with my grandchildren! I don’t want to face diabetes and heart disease like my family members have had to. I’m right there with you!!
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I understand. I gained about 60 lbs. In 6 years from a stress ful job. I was overweight by about 30 lbs before that but it was not crisis. In July 2017 I started on mfp at 237. I've lost 40 lbs. Since then and have 60 to go. When I reach 175 I will be overweight (not obese) and I'm looking forward to that. Only 20 lbs. A way. I expect to reach my goal in 2019. I am losing slow and steady and don't feel like hungry. I think I will be able to maintain it.

You can do it! There are many success stories on here.
  • JessieCanDoThis
    Options
    lucerorojo wrote: »
    I understand. I gained about 60 lbs. In 6 years from a stress ful job. I was overweight by about 30 lbs before that but it was not crisis. In July 2017 I started on mfp at 237. I've lost 40 lbs. Since then and have 60 to go. When I reach 175 I will be overweight (not obese) and I'm looking forward to that. Only 20 lbs. A way. I expect to reach my goal in 2019. I am losing slow and steady and don't feel like hungry. I think I will be able to maintain it.

You can do it! There are many success stories on here.

Congrats on losing the weight! I don’t even know what my “normal weight” should be, but I know I want to wear a. M or L and back to a size 12/14. Right now I’m at a 2XL and size 20...slowly I know which is a challenge because of course I want to see results right away. But I’m going to pace myself. I know there will be hiccups along the way especially the holidays. I’m trying to keep it all in perspective.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    There are lots of sites and BMI calculators. This one has a chart of healthy weight ranges. https://www.rush.edu/health-wellness/quick-guides/what-is-a-healthy-weight
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I think weight gain just creeps up on us, we don't step on the scales and if we wear stretchy clothes it would be easy to ignore that more weight was creeping on :/

When I started regularly weighing myself that was the first thing that made me think about my eating habits. I couldn't ignore that I was slowly gaining weight. It was finding MFP and logging my food that gave me the tools to lose weight and keep it off.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    DTwoMama wrote: »
    I have tried and quit at losing weight so many times in my life! I’ll be 61 this month and I want my 61st year to be the one that I lose the weight for good! I want to run and play with my grandchildren! I don’t want to face diabetes and heart disease like my family members have had to. I’m right there with you!!

I am the same age as you and it can be done just be impeccable with your tracking and move a bit. I have about 40 more lbs to go to get to a reasonable weight. I am doing it....so can you!!!
  • squating_for_pasta
    squating_for_pasta Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’m at 12 days ago i stepped on a scale at my moms house and realised I gained 20 pounds since New Years. All my life iv been big I’m now the biggest I have ever been at 225 and I’m ready to drop this weight. It’s hard at times trying to picture myself skinny I feel like it will never happen but then I get so motivated and excitedly to hit the gym and eat healthy and think about all the cute clothes I’ll be able to wear!
    So anyway, I feel everything you said and I too could use a health/fitness buddy
  • JessieCanDoThis
    Options
    lucerorojo wrote: »
    There are lots of sites and BMI calculators. This one has a chart of healthy weight ranges. https://www.rush.edu/health-wellness/quick-guides/what-is-a-healthy-weight

Thank you for the link!

According to that chart I’m over the obese side but damn. My first goal weight of 170 is overweight. I really don’t think it’s that bad and I will continue to strive for that. If I want to go to 150 maybe I will but I’m not stressing that.
  • JessieCanDoThis
    Options
    I think weight gain just creeps up on us, we don't step on the scales and if we wear stretchy clothes it would be easy to ignore that more weight was creeping on :/

When I started regularly weighing myself that was the first thing that made me think about my eating habits. I couldn't ignore that I was slowly gaining weight. It was finding MFP and logging my food that gave me the tools to lose weight and keep it off.

Yes I have to agree now that I am logging my food I am really aware of what I’m eating. Preparing all of my meals is another benefit because I know what is in it and I don’t eat excess fat. I almost broke last night and over ate but I started drinking a lot of water to compensate. Then I was living in the bathroom lol
  • JessieCanDoThis
    Options
    IndyFitJoe wrote: »
    Like reading my own mind! It's amazing to me how quickly it goes on and how difficult it is to get rid of...

Yes the sad thing about it! But we’ll get through this!
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    mij140 wrote: »
    Take it one day at a time. You CAN do this. I was 227 and I got down to 133. 94 lbs in 9 months. Best of luck to you.

I got up to 218 I lost a few lbs after I quit eating out so much and got down to 204. Now after actively trying to lose weight I am down to 195. My goal is 135. I hope I can do it in 9 months. Good job keep it up.
  • JessieCanDoThis
    Options
    I’m at 12 days ago i stepped on a scale at my moms house and realised I gained 20 pounds since New Years. All my life iv been big I’m now the biggest I have ever been at 225 and I’m ready to drop this weight. It’s hard at times trying to picture myself skinny I feel like it will never happen but then I get so motivated and excitedly to hit the gym and eat healthy and think about all the cute clothes I’ll be able to wear!
    So anyway, I feel everything you said and I too could use a health/fitness buddy

And I remember when I was at 216 I would complain. Now at 273 I wish I was at that weight. I have smaller clothes at home that also motivate me! I sent a request to be friends and we can motivate each other :)
  • jenngitch
    jenngitch Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    When I finally got the courage to weigh I was 240. that is after several months into my life style change so I know I was higher than that. I had developed a heart murmur, high blood pressure, and my blood sugar was starting to sky rocket. I was never "skinny" but was athletic and healthy. How did this happen? Why did this happen? I learned that in this world the ONLY thing I can control is what I put in my mouth. So the only one to blame... was me. It has been a hard road and will continue to be one once I reach my happy place. I take one day at a time. one meal at a time. Don't make a lot of drastic changes all at once. it is too overwhelming. pick one thing to work one... like stop drinking soda... don't just cold turkey, just cut down for a few days, then cut down more for a few days and then stop. take steps not jumps. I weighed this morning at 183.4. trust me if I can do it you can! GOOD LUCK!
  • elizabethgough
    elizabethgough Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I totally understand! I have struggled with losing and gaining the same 65+ lbs over the past 8 years. Twice I have lost the weight and got into really good shape. Currently, I am back to square one and have been trying to get motivated for two years to lose the weight. It is so frustrating.
  • JessieCanDoThis
    Options
    jenngitch wrote: »
    When I finally got the courage to weigh I was 240. that is after several months into my life style change so I know I was higher than that. I had developed a heart murmur, high blood pressure, and my blood sugar was starting to sky rocket. I was never "skinny" but was athletic and healthy. How did this happen? Why did this happen? I learned that in this world the ONLY thing I can control is what I put in my mouth. So the only one to blame... was me. It has been a hard road and will continue to be one once I reach my happy place. I take one day at a time. one meal at a time. Don't make a lot of drastic changes all at once. it is too overwhelming. pick one thing to work one... like stop drinking soda... don't just cold turkey, just cut down for a few days, then cut down more for a few days and then stop. take steps not jumps. I weighed this morning at 183.4. trust me if I can do it you can! GOOD LUCK!

That is awesome! From getting this app I can see what I’m eating. My problem has always been overeating. I would stuff myself until I’m full. But one thing I did cut out was fast food and making my own food at home. Why pay double to eat? It’s been a change, and adding exercising also. But I feel like this is what I have to do now. I can’t get into being lazy. I want to get through this. I’m hoping my the end of the I have shed enough pounds to feel more attractive with myself.
  • JessieCanDoThis
    Options
    I totally understand! I have struggled with losing and gaining the same 65+ lbs over the past 8 years. Twice I have lost the weight and got into really good shape. Currently, I am back to square one and have been trying to get motivated for two years to lose the weight. It is so frustrating.

Frustrating is right. Mine was 30 lbs, then 50, 60 and now I need to lose 100 lbs. it happened so fast. I let stress take over. I’m trying to keep a positive outlook on this though.