I guess "Whole" Foods does not mean "healthy"...

Replies

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    crazyravr wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Found out a muffin Iiked from Whole Food bakery - a vegan chocolate chip muffin - has - are we ready? 780 calories. I was stunned. that is more than half my daily calories. That means a quarter of the muffin - which is not much - packs 195 calories. I wont be eating that muffin any more. What I dont get is how they can offer such an item in the bakery - and what the hey is in it that packs that many calories? I think cheesecake is even less caloric than the muffin!

There is plenty of garbage to be bought at Whole Foods.
    Having said that, which part of that muffin is whole food exactly? Because as far as I can tell its all processed.

Yeah, Whole Foods doesn't mean they sell only whole foods (and a muffin obviously is processed).

WF also sells a whole variety of stuff, including B&J's vegan ice cream, which you'd better believe is high cal.

Also, at my store, they sell Jeni's, which is not in my usual grocery.

They sell tons of high cal prepared foods, and some excellent cheese options, and -- again in my store -- a decent variety of wine and beer. Not sure why someone would think that something from WF would be low cal (or a "whole food").

They also have a really good selection of fruits and veg in my local store, and plenty of other things I like, I enjoy shopping there and am not slamming them for having a wide variety of foods like any other decent grocery.

I love my WF for their quality of fruits and veggies (organic or not), seafood and fantastic grass fed / organic meat. This is "whole food".
    Any "junky" stuff can be had MUCH much cheaper elsewhere.

Valid point. If you are going to go to a place like Whole Foods not sure why you'd go there to buy a muffin.

Because their baked goods are delicious. (And sadly, loaded with calories, which is why it's a once every month treat.)

I personally have never had anything from the Whole Foods bakery that wasn't delicious. And my husband says the non-vegan stuff is really good too.

I long for the day I have enough calories leftover to get a piece of cake. They look delicious, but not for 500+ calories.

Right now, my current downfalls are the snickerdoodles, and the peanut butter + jelly shortbreads. The latter are OMG amazing.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Found out a muffin Iiked from Whole Food bakery - a vegan chocolate chip muffin - has - are we ready? 780 calories. I was stunned. that is more than half my daily calories. That means a quarter of the muffin - which is not much - packs 195 calories. I wont be eating that muffin any more. What I dont get is how they can offer such an item in the bakery - and what the hey is in it that packs that many calories? I think cheesecake is even less caloric than the muffin!

Having said that, which part of that muffin is whole food exactly? Because as far as I can tell its all processed.

Yeah, Whole Foods doesn't mean they sell only whole foods (and a muffin obviously is processed).

WF also sells a whole variety of stuff, including B&J's vegan ice cream, which you'd better believe is high cal.

They sell tons of high cal prepared foods, and some excellent cheese options, and -- again in my store -- a decent variety of wine and beer. Not sure why someone would think that something from WF would be low cal (or a "whole food").

They also have a really good selection of fruits and veg in my local store, and plenty of other things I like, I enjoy shopping there and am not slamming them for having a wide variety of foods like any other decent grocery.

I love my WF for their quality of fruits and veggies (organic or not), seafood and fantastic grass fed / organic meat. This is "whole food".

Valid point. If you are going to go to a place like Whole Foods not sure why you'd go there to buy a muffin.

Because their baked goods are delicious. (And sadly, loaded with calories, which is why it's a once every month treat.)

Yeah fair enough, I withdraw my comment :smile:
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member

Yeah fair enough, I withdraw my comment :smile:

S'Okay. I was a WF stockholder until the acquisition, so I am all over "everything awesome comes from Whole Foods". ;)
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    I was a little surprised to find out that a lot of things that get billed as "healthy hacks" and the like are far more calorie dense. Cauliflower crust pizza, while not containing wheat, uses a butt-ton of eggs and cheese to make that cauliflower stick together and form a crust.

Yeah but arguably the nutritive value you would get from cauliflower plus the mix of carbs/protein and fat you would get from the califlower cheese egg mix is healthier than just getting some wheat bread. I think people focus way to much on calories when they should be more concerned with balanced nutrition. Not to say calories aren't important.

I would call pizza already a pretty balanced meal item. Carbs, fat, vegetables, protein, etc. It's all there. No help needed from stinking cauliflower!

J/K, I do enjoy cauliflower crust when I feel like going through the pain of making it, but I'm under no illusions about it's calorie content. It's as calorie-laden as normal crust, if not more.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Muffins are basically cake without frosting. I'm not sure why anyone would think a chocolate chip muffin was low calorie or that certain stores only sell "healthy" or low calorie foods especially when they have a bakery department and cookie aisles.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,871 Member
    Muffins are basically cake without frosting. I'm not sure why anyone would think a chocolate chip muffin was low calorie or that certain stores only sell "healthy" or low calorie foods especially when they have a bakery department and cookie aisles.

Not to mention rows and rows of wines, and alllll the cheeses to go with them! :lol:
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »

Not to mention rows and rows of wines, and alllll the cheeses to go with them! :lol:

But wines are grapes! :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member

Just as an aside, the calorie content of a particular food has nothing to do with the nutritional value. There are numerous whole foods which are nutritionally awesome and also pack a calorie punch.

Also, in regards to "don't get how they can offer such an item in the bakery"...most baked goods are pretty calorie dense as they typically contain quite a bit of fat and sugar...but beyond that, people have varying caloric needs. I need anywhere from 2800-3000 calories to maintain weight...I need some calorie bombs from time to time to meet my calorie needs...and I have a desk job and am moderately active outside of that...a labor worker's needs could be considerably more.

That said...I don't think I'd consider a muffing really to be a "whole food"...nor would I consider a muffin to be a particularly nutritious choice in general...nothing wrong with that, I make less nutritious choices all of the time...I just don't think I'd have ever considered a muffin a health food.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

Their prepared salads are an easy thing to bring to a "bring food" event and pretty varied and tasty. Not sure why the muffin (I don't buy muffins ever, I'm in the "if you want dessert, just have dessert" camp), but I'm not against prepared foods at WF.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Vegan isn't necessarily whole foods either.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited March 2018
    Muffins are basically cake. They're made with flours, sweeteners, fats, flavourings.

Whole Foods =/= calorie free. The caloric value of a food has no relation to its healthiness or its nutrient content.

This.

Food sold in an organic store doesn't mean it's going to be less calories just because it's been prepared using healthier ingredients.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    In many cases, the vegan version of something has way more calories than its non-vegan counterpart. But it’s especially true with baked goods.