"Funny" Food Marketing

Options
aeloine
aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
Yesterday, a coworker gave me a Clif Bar. He was trying to be witty and said something along the lines of "be careful, it says 'energy'! It might make you stay up!" I joked back that they call it "energy" because it has a lot of calories.... but that might actually be true! It's actually quite a few calories for a granola bar/for how small it is.

He kind of fell for the gimmick and I know that we all have done it. What foods marketed as "healthy" have you fallen for?

Me: Nutella, back in the day. It's a hazelnut spread!
Wouldn't ya know it, turns out they got sued for false advertising!

Replies

• aeloine
    Options
    I always laugh at our marshmallow packets, boldly claiming them to be FAT FREE!!! Wooohoooooo...

(completely true, but stupid imo)

Wait.... aren't they all pretty much fat free anyway?
  • aeloine
    Options
    I've heard about something called "Apple Cider Vinegar" or "ACV" somewhere. Can't remember where I read about it though, but it rings a bell for me for some reason.

:devil:

Have you seen that they're now selling FLAVORED "drinking" ACV? It's ACV diluted with water and flavored with added syrups like coconut and raspberry.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    I always laugh at our marshmallow packets, boldly claiming them to be FAT FREE!!! Wooohoooooo...

(completely true, but stupid imo)

Wait.... aren't they all pretty much fat free anyway?

Yes.... But the claim on the packet somehow makes them appear "better".
  • aeloine
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    I've heard about something called "Apple Cider Vinegar" or "ACV" somewhere. Can't remember where I read about it though, but it rings a bell for me for some reason.

:devil:

Have you seen that they're now selling FLAVORED "drinking" ACV? It's ACV diluted with water and flavored with added syrups like coconut and raspberry.

Does it help with weight loss???????

If you mean losing the weight of money in your wallet.....
  • aeloine
    edited March 2018
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Not one that I have fallen for but one that just bugs the shiz out of me - 'gluten free' stickers on packages of steak. Also fat free and gluten free stickers on candies like twizzlers.

:hushed:

That's hilarious!
  • emcclure013
    emcclure013 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Nuts! Sure, those little buggers might be packed with protein and other good things for you, but I RARELY can fit them into my calorie goals, and always in smaller portions than I ever believed. In the past I could've easily eaten a cup of peanuts as a "healthy" 800+ calorie snack.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I saw a “gluten free” label on rice. Well, duh.
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Anything labeled "fat free" or "light" that makes people believe it is healthy makes me laugh. Was fat demonized in the 80s or 90s? Either way, to make it taste good they typically end up loading that food up with sugars and other fillers, which makes it no more healthy than the original, full-fat version most of the time.