"Funny" Food Marketing

Options

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    I saw a “gluten free” label on rice. Well, duh.

I don't know...it's a grain and that whole gluten free thing takes a while to figure out. I've heard people say they don't eat corn/corn oil/HFCS because of the gluten - I mean :huh:

But to be fair, genpop isn't really that educated about nutrition, and "gluten free" seems a lot like the trendy thing to do for some people who don't even need to do it. Like it's just generally "healthier."

Rule #1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15_-cKwNWDA
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Clif is great to eat while you're working out. So I wouldn't say it isn't healthy.

I would never, ever eat it otherwise, though.
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Quest bars, specifically cookies n cream and cookie dough flavors--advertised as actually edible!! :lol:

I love Quest bars, especially the cookie dough flavor :wink:
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Those 'zero calorie' butter sprays. 2nd and 3rd ingredients are oils :confounded:

cr2e6t1ztu91.jpg

I believe anything where the serving size comes to less than 5 calories can be labeled as zero cal. Which is unfortunate because some people overspray, and 5 hidden calories several times a day can add up over time.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    goatg wrote: »
    Clif is great to eat while you're working out. So I wouldn't say it isn't healthy.

That's the thing - he brought it around as a "treat".
    Um s'cuse me, my whole lunch is 300 calories and this bar is 260?
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Big sign "source of fibre" at the front of a pack of whatever food with only traces of fibre (about 1g or less per 100g)! I get so mad! This should be made illegal - it is deceit made in full conscience.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    "Lower sugar" jelly for my kids. Turns out it was lower sugar because they used Sucrulose instead. Thanks, but I'll take a little more natural sugar, and no chemical junk that tastes like *kitten*!! ETA, as long as I'm asking, just give me jelly that actually has less natural sugar but no artificial ones either!

Peanut products that have an allergy warning that they contain peanuts. My son has a nut allergy, so I really do appreciate the allergy warnings, but these always make me giggle when it's so obviously a peanut product!

I think things like that come down to the 'suing culture' America has. Health warning have to go on anything
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    JMcGee2018 wrote: »
    Those 'zero calorie' butter sprays. 2nd and 3rd ingredients are oils :confounded:

cr2e6t1ztu91.jpg

I believe anything where the serving size comes to less than 5 calories can be labeled as zero cal. Which is unfortunate because some people overspray, and 5 hidden calories several times a day can add up over time.

Same as 'alcohol free' isn't actually alcohol free
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    JMcGee2018 wrote: »

cr2e6t1ztu91.jpg

Yup, same with cooking sprays like Pam. Not that I think everyone who uses spray butter is unintentionally sabotaging their weight loss using 10 sprays instead of 5. I just wish they'd add an alternative serving size that shows there are actually calories in it.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    sarjenki wrote: »
    It annoys me to see small individual packets of foods that most would think of as single serve that are actually multiple servings. I know they do this so that people will read the label and think, that's not as many calories as I thought and buy it, when actually there are 4, 100 calorie servings in the package. If individual sized packages are advertised as xxx calories, that should be the calorie information for that whole package.
    Just goes back to having to read the label.
    Also, although others have mentioned the need for gluten free labeling, I find the label of "gluten free" on dairy products to be annoying. It may be "necessary", but I find it hard to believe that selling the stuff to ignorant people who don't know what gluten free is and think that it is in and of itself helpful for weight loss is not at least part of the reason that put that label on the bag of cheese.

Yes, like a single microwaveable tray of frozen mac-n-cheese being 300 calories/serving, but the label says 2 servings per container. It's a small tray and it's not in 2 compartments.
  • brittdee88
    brittdee88 Posts: 1,874 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Not one that I have fallen for but one that just bugs the shiz out of me - 'gluten free' stickers on packages of steak. Also fat free and gluten free stickers on candies like twizzlers.

One of the first ingredients in Twizzlers/generic licorice twists is flour -- or at least it was 8 years ago when I found out I had a wheat allergy and died a little inside. Where did you see gluten-free Twizzlers?
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    brittdee88 wrote: »
    Not one that I have fallen for but one that just bugs the shiz out of me - 'gluten free' stickers on packages of steak. Also fat free and gluten free stickers on candies like twizzlers.

One of the first ingredients in Twizzlers/generic licorice twists is flour -- or at least it was 8 years ago when I found out I had a wheat allergy and died a little inside. Where did you see gluten-free Twizzlers?

I stand corrected... maybe it was 'fat free', I dunno...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Ditto all the 'fat free' stuff...
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Twizzler's shouldn't labeled gluten free. They most certainly habe wheat flour. That's what makes them bendy.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I saw a “gluten free” label on rice. Well, duh.

Again, a lot of the gluten free labeling is like peanut free labeling. It means there is no possibility of cross-contamination and is of concern to celiacs and those with gluten intolerance.

The gluten-free haircuts signs are just meant to be funny :)

I've seen rice products NOT be gluten free. Like Rice-a-Roni and other seasoned rice products. It's all fun and games until your kid has Celiac.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Some candies may be dusted with confection sugar or cornstarch to prevent sticking. Maybe the gluten free label is assurance the powder is not wheat based?

I have an issue with cholesterol free on tubs of margarine or vegetable based spread. Yes, cholesterol is found in animal derived products, but when I see all that fat my mind says otherwise.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    goatg wrote: »

That's the thing - he brought it around as a "treat".
    Um s'cuse me, my whole lunch is 300 calories and this bar is 260?

Ugh.

I'll take my treat in brownie or cupcake form, tyvm.