Anyone go from a class junkie to heavy lifting?

Options

Replies

• Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    Okiludy wrote: »
    You mean like the death rate for marathon runners, football, equestrian, or martial arts?

Don’t get me wrong I prefer powerlifting but think the angst against CrossFit is not rational when you compare statistics. It’s just not as bad as you may believe when compared to most things people do.
    My sister in law is a physical therapist.
    She credits CrossFit as being the #1 she is so busy in the last few years.

I love this made up line that everyone who "knows a physical therapist" uses. It's like the urban legend of anecdotes.
    Really? You are now claiming I made my sister in law up?
    Pretty bold and defensive statement from someone hiding behind a keyboard.

Way to change the subject.

I didn't say you made her up. I'm sure she exists. I'm just saying that this anecdote is played out.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Okiludy wrote: »
    You mean like the death rate for marathon runners, football, equestrian, or martial arts?

Don’t get me wrong I prefer powerlifting but think the angst against CrossFit is not rational when you compare statistics. It’s just not as bad as you may believe when compared to most things people do.
    My sister in law is a physical therapist.
    She credits CrossFit as being the #1 she is so busy in the last few years.

I love this made up line that everyone who "knows a physical therapist" uses. It's like the urban legend of anecdotes.
    Really? You are now claiming I made my sister in law up?
    Pretty bold and defensive statement from someone hiding behind a keyboard.

Way to change the subject.

I think she was referring to 2nd hand accounts of an off the cuff remark. Curious as to the stats of her practise now that you mention it. Did she happen to mention the client rate for CF injury treatments? Also, what's the most common injury? These are things I'd be interested in hearing about from someone who actually treats people.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Another thing that I love is how people are so quick to dismiss the CF L1 certification claiming how easy it is, yet say nothing about the myriads of other trainer certifications that can be obtained on line(CrossFit is not online) and do next to nothing to prepare someone for coaching/teaching people. No one ever calls out the other weekend certs that "anyone" can pass and be a trainer, yet they will jump at the chance to say that about the L1.
  • Jambalady
    Jambalady Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Don't make it an either or. Lift x 3 a week and take a class on alternate days.
    (Or find a x2 full body programme)

I wouldn't say I was a class junkie, but most of my workouts were classes, quite a revolving mixture.
    When I decided to lift, I, at first, did it along side the classes, Monday, Wednesday, Friday. Lifting light and working on form.

Once I had my routine ready to go, I dropped the classes on those 3 days, but carried on with the 2 days and added in a yoga class on Sundays.

At the moment I am just lifting and yoga, walking and rowing being my cardio, no classes they are too taxing.

I think I am lacking the need for others to push me, that may be why I could move into the gym on my own.

Cheers, h.

I've tried exactly this (lifting M,W,F) and found myself burnt out. The classes I take all incorporate some weights aspect, whether it is kettlebells, dumbells, or barbells (40 lbs) and it was too much on my body. I may have to play around with the schedule a bit. Is starting with just 1 day of lifting non-productive? How long would I be able to get away with that before increasing days?
  • Jambalady
    Options
    Crossfit?

I thought this would be optimal too, but turns out I can't afford it. I live in NYC and they are all $175/month and up.
  • Jambalady
    Options
    You can lift as well as go to classes. Maybe finding a lifting buddy will help keep you interested and motivated.

That's so funny. I've actually been stalking another girl in my class who I've heard mention deadlifting. I'm trying to find the nerve to ask her to work out with me. . .I may do it next class I see her in.
  • Jambalady
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Crossfit?

No.

Compete with yourself. That's what its about. Or sign up for a powerlifting meet if you're struggling that much it'll give you something to work for

Wow, just "No?" Whatever.

When it has an 18% injury rate. The highest out of all lifting sports. I'm sorry but yes I have to say no.

Too many cross fit "coaches" are some joe blow from down the street ego took an online course. Followed by having people try to forcibly jerk heavy weights into the air with very little knowledge or understanding of the mechanics involved in the lift.

Thats my reasoning. I hope it's a bit more informative.

I think the idea was to be more motivated in a social atmosphere, which CF certainly does. In such cases a good alternative is to find a good hardcore lifting gym for powerlifting or Oly lifting because those tend to be more of a community where lifters encourage and support each other.

Very true. That's what I had in mind. I've met a few like minded powerlifters at my gym and its all about drive and encouragement. I only wish there was a dedicated Oly/powerlifting gym in my city

I haven't found any by me. I'm in NYC.
  • Davidsdottir
    Options
    hollyhom wrote: »
    Crossfit?

I thought this would be optimal too, but turns out I can't afford it. I live in NYC and they are all $175/month and up.

Yeah, that's pretty ridiculous. I get that you're paying for small group instruction, but that's still expensive.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Crossfit?

How much is a regular gym membership in the US? Here I pay about 100 for crossfit but would be paying 80 for a gym membership

Crossfit is quite a bit more expensive than a regular gym here, but it's pretty much inline with a powerlifting or Oly lifting gym. Actually, in my city there are 2 Oly lifting gyms and one is attached to a CF box, which makes sense to me.

Essentially, you are paying for the coaching whereas in a regular gym you just use the equipment. It's actually more expensive to have a PT for 3 times a week at a regular gym than to go to a specialized gym.
  • CircleJerkk
    CircleJerkk Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Crossfit?

How much is a regular gym membership in the US? Here I pay about 100 for crossfit but would be paying 80 for a gym membership

$10/mo
  • Davidsdottir
    Options
    Crossfit?

Where I am, Crossfit is $150-$200 a month and a decent gym, not Planet Fitness, is $30-$100 a month.
  • Andy__Dane
    Andy__Dane Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Crossfit?

Where I am, Crossfit is $150-$200 a month and a decent gym, not Planet Fitness, is $30-$100 a month.

Ouch.

I'm paying £45 a month, so approx $65
  • Jambalady
    Options
    Crossfit?

I pay $85 but I get full laundry service, a locker, clothes (socks, shorts, leggings, shirts, etc.), all the bells and whistles in terms of toiletries, etc.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Crossfit?

We pay $80 a month for a family of 4 at the YMCA.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Crossfit?

$10/mo

I'm assuming you are talking Planet Fitness since gyms are much higher.
  • natruallycurious
    natruallycurious Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I pay $115/month for my crossfit gym, and paid $60/month at a large chain gym before this. But I have amazing coaches and it is well worth the money for me, it's the only thing that holds my interest.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I went from lots of classes to heavy lifting. I had specific physique goals and lifting is an easier way to get them. My gym is super friendly so you can get the social element too if you're looking for that, but that obviously varies based on where you go.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I'm a class junkie. I like the social environment of a class setting and being around other people makes me more competitive. I have tried getting the Starting Strength books and 5x5 app and I can't seem to get myself motivated when I am by myself. I'll do it for a couple of weeks and then I get bored and distracted. Anyone able to get past the class mentality, the need for others to push them, to start weight training on their own? I have not found any heavy lifting type classes near me or that fit my schedule.

Notwithstanding that the thread has descended into comedy testiculating about CrossFit, it's not clear from your original question what you're wanting to gain from heavy lifting. There are many routes to success and there may be alternatives, given how you are motivated.

So in the spirit of coaching skills, what are you wanting to achieve?
  • Jambalady
    Options
    I'm a class junkie. I like the social environment of a class setting and being around other people makes me more competitive. I have tried getting the Starting Strength books and 5x5 app and I can't seem to get myself motivated when I am by myself. I'll do it for a couple of weeks and then I get bored and distracted. Anyone able to get past the class mentality, the need for others to push them, to start weight training on their own? I have not found any heavy lifting type classes near me or that fit my schedule.

Notwithstanding that the thread has descended into comedy testiculating about CrossFit, it's not clear from your original question what you're wanting to gain from heavy lifting. There are many routes to success and there may be alternatives, given how you are motivated.

So in the spirit of coaching skills, what are you wanting to achieve?

Umm, to look really good naked? and be able to eats lots and lots of calories?

But to be serious, I got back to the gym maybe 2-3 years ago consistently and since taking these bootcamp classes, managed to really increase my strength and core (compared to where I was). I didn't drop any pounds but went down at least a size in clothes.

Now I'm feeling like I've hit a plateau and want to push myself to exercise more effectively. Like the energy spent in these classes doesn't quite equal what the results should be. I want to lose a bit more fat and get stronger and we never really do anything in the classes but higher reps with the same size weights. I'd like to be able to do a pull-up, lean out my legs a bit, and generally just expend less energy on the cardio aspect which seems to be draining me from increasing on the strength side.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    bump