Anyone go from a class junkie to heavy lifting?

Options
I'm a class junkie. I like the social environment of a class setting and being around other people makes me more competitive. I have tried getting the Starting Strength books and 5x5 app and I can't seem to get myself motivated when I am by myself. I'll do it for a couple of weeks and then I get bored and distracted. Anyone able to get past the class mentality, the need for others to push them, to start weight training on their own? I have not found any heavy lifting type classes near me or that fit my schedule.

Replies

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Crossfit?

No.

Compete with yourself. That's what its about. Or sign up for a powerlifting meet if you're struggling that much it'll give you something to work for
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,618 Member
    Options
    You can lift as well as go to classes. Maybe finding a lifting buddy will help keep you interested and motivated.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Don't know where you live, but there are weightlifting gyms that coach starting strength, powerlifting, olympic lifting... you'll progress better with coaching as well as enjoy the class aspect! Some Crossfit gyms do also have separate lifting tracks, but quality will vary greatly depending on the coaches.
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I attend a lifting class at a local gym that focuses more on kids’ sports conditioning, but they also have adult classes. Look around for smaller gyms - they might have something that works for you.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I did both. I was front and center in step class 4 times a week and did several heavy lifting programs.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Crossfit?

No.

Compete with yourself. That's what its about. Or sign up for a powerlifting meet if you're struggling that much it'll give you something to work for

Wow, just "No?" Whatever.

When it has an 18% injury rate. The highest out of all lifting sports. I'm sorry but yes I have to say no.

Too many cross fit "coaches" are some joe blow from down the street ego took an online course. Followed by having people try to forcibly jerk heavy weights into the air with very little knowledge or understanding of the mechanics involved in the lift.

Thats my reasoning. I hope it's a bit more informative.

I think the idea was to be more motivated in a social atmosphere, which CF certainly does. In such cases a good alternative is to find a good hardcore lifting gym for powerlifting or Oly lifting because those tend to be more of a community where lifters encourage and support each other.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Crossfit?

No.

When it has an 18% injury rate. The highest out of all lifting sports. I'm sorry but yes I have to say no.

Too many cross fit "coaches" are some joe blow from down the street ego took an online course. Followed by having people try to forcibly jerk heavy weights into the air with very little knowledge or understanding of the mechanics involved in the lift.

Interesting that it also has a lower injury rate than running, swimming, soccer, or any team sport I think.

The injury rate is far overblown much of the time by people who participate in far more dangerous activities.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Okiludy wrote: »
    Crossfit?

No.

Interesting that it also has a lower injury rate than running, swimming, soccer, or any team sport I think.

The injury rate is far overblown much of the time by people who participate in far more dangerous activities.

It's not just the injury rate but severity. Unless you get hit by a car you aren't going to come close to a snatch across the neck for damage!
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Crossfit?

No.

I think the idea was to be more motivated in a social atmosphere, which CF certainly does. In such cases a good alternative is to find a good hardcore lifting gym for powerlifting or Oly lifting because those tend to be more of a community where lifters encourage and support each other.

Yes, this was why I suggested it.
  • jessef593
    Options
    Crossfit?

No.

Very true. That's what I had in mind. I've met a few like minded powerlifters at my gym and its all about drive and encouragement. I only wish there was a dedicated Oly/powerlifting gym in my city
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Most workout classes don't do it for me anymore. At the risk of offending some people, I'll say that most boot camp classes don't have the kind of intensity that I require nowadays. It certainly doesn't help that they're often filled with women who spend more time gabbing with each other than actually working out.

There are some exceptions. There's a CrossFit-style class that has been really helpful. An Insanity class would probably do me good, but there aren't any that are available to me nowadays. Also, while these aren't classes, I do have occasional group workouts with some like-minded people that help me push hard.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Crossfit?

No.

It's not just the injury rate but severity. Unless you get hit by a car you aren't going to come close to a snatch across the neck for damage!

You mean like the death rate for marathon runners, football, equestrian, or martial arts?

Don’t get me wrong I prefer powerlifting but think the angst against CrossFit is not rational when you compare statistics. It’s just not as bad as you may believe when compared to most things people do.
  • jessef593
    Options
    Crossfit?

No.

You mean like the death rate for marathon runners, football, equestrian, or martial arts?

Don’t get me wrong I prefer powerlifting but think the angst against CrossFit is not rational when you compare statistics. It’s just not as bad as you may believe when compared to most things people do.

But at least half of those involve hard impact/contact with other people.
  • jessef593
    Options
    But i get what you mean. Theres definitely a stigma surrounding it
  • Stew501
    Stew501 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I think you should do both; I do