Anyone go from a class junkie to heavy lifting?

Options

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    if you wanna lift heavy , and you like to compete, check out Power Lifting. You can set a goal for a local meet, and then have a reason to push yourself every day. Thats what i do, I used to do classes all the time and had a great time with everyone, but i so much prefer heaving lifting. and maybe you can find or put together a team in your area so you can all train together.
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I do both, I do a class most days, and will typically lift 4 - 5 days a week, planning it before or after a class.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    if you wanna lift heavy , and you like to compete, check out Power Lifting. You can set a goal for a local meet, and then have a reason to push yourself every day. Thats what i do, I used to do classes all the time and had a great time with everyone, but i so much prefer heaving lifting. and maybe you can find or put together a team in your area so you can all train together.

That team idea is wicked!
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    What about bodypump? It's a weight lifting class. Give it a try and go from there. Not super heavy though
  • dfp333
    dfp333 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    But i get what you mean. Theres definitely a stigma surrounding it

They are like a religious cult is really my thing... One that encourages injury and not taking enough recovery time... The science not only doesn't back it up but it proves it wrong in a lot of instances. However it is still better than being a lousy couch potato...
  • Andy__Dane
    Andy__Dane Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Crossfit?

No.

Compete with yourself. That's what its about. Or sign up for a powerlifting meet if you're struggling that much it'll give you something to work for

Wow, just "No?" Whatever.

When it has an 18% injury rate. The highest out of all lifting sports. I'm sorry but yes I have to say no.

Too many cross fit "coaches" are some joe blow from down the street ego took an online course. Followed by having people try to forcibly jerk heavy weights into the air with very little knowledge or understanding of the mechanics involved in the lift.

Thats my reasoning. I hope it's a bit more informative.

Surely that's a problem of specific coaches and boxes and not Crossfit in general?

I hate gyms, struggle to stay motivated. Joined a Crossfit box last May, and our coaches are great. Really hot on making sure you're lifting correctly.

Can certainly see how you could injure yourself if badly coached, but that's true of most sports and training regimes anyway.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Andy__Dane wrote: »
    Crossfit?

No.

Compete with yourself. That's what its about. Or sign up for a powerlifting meet if you're struggling that much it'll give you something to work for

When it has an 18% injury rate. The highest out of all lifting sports. I'm sorry but yes I have to say no.

Too many cross fit "coaches" are some joe blow from down the street ego took an online course. Followed by having people try to forcibly jerk heavy weights into the air with very little knowledge or understanding of the mechanics involved in the lift.

Surely that's a problem of specific coaches and boxes and not Crossfit in general?

I hate gyms, struggle to stay motivated. Joined a Crossfit box last May, and our coaches are great. Really hot on making sure you're lifting correctly.

Can certainly see how you could injure yourself if badly coached, but that's true of most sports and training regimes anyway.

The problem is it's not the exception, it's the norm.

Sure there are good boxes out there, but it's not worth playing the lottery. It's great if you've got no specific goals and want to play workout lottery 5 or 7 days a week, but I'd rather chase goals than flail about hoping to get somewhere.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Crossfit?

No.

And you have facts to back this? Running has far and away the highest injury rate of any exercise activity. Drives me nuts that so many people knock CrossFit who have never done, but it's "cool" to knock it so they do.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Crossfit?

No.

And you have facts to back this? Running has far and away the highest injury rate of any exercise activity. Drives me nuts that so many people knock CrossFit who have never done, but it's "cool" to knock it so they do.

I don't remember mentioning running amongst "lifting" sports. But alright. And yeah polls have been done in regards to LIFTING sports. Among them cross fit ranked the highest.

I never bashed it if you read my post. I did however state that most coaches are some random who got his cross fit coaching certificate online. Along with that, many other posters have backed my claims. If you want to get good at throwing random things around as others have said. Choose cross fit. If you want to achieve goals for strength. Go with powerlifting or Oly lifting. With a proven coach.
  • flowerhouse
    flowerhouse Posts: 140 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Me
    I worked with a trainer who taught me how to use weights safely and that I have as much right as the big guys to use the weights section. Previously I would only use the ladies only gym!! Which had limited amount of equipment but then the gym did away with it.. best thing they ever did
    Good luck
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Crossfit?

No.

I don't remember mentioning running amongst "lifting" sports. But alright. And yeah polls have been done in regards to LIFTING sports. Among them cross fit ranked the highest.

I never bashed it if you read my post. I did however state that most coaches are some random who got his cross fit coaching certificate online. Along with that, many other posters have backed my claims. If you want to get good at throwing random things around as others have said. Choose cross fit. If you want to achieve goals for strength. Go with powerlifting or Oly lifting. With a proven coach.

You can't get crossfit coahing certificate online.

And quick Google research shows powerlifters at much higher % injury rate.

apmbtcb7elo4.png

I wonder how much of the CF injury rate is due to the fact that it often seems to attract newer lifters.
  • Andy__Dane
    Andy__Dane Posts: 46 Member
    Options

I wonder how much of the CF injury rate is due to the fact that it often seems to attract newer lifters.

I dunno, possibly that. Or those that can be overly competitive. If you go all out on every single workout then you're going to put yourself at risk of injury.

I don't know whether I've just been lucky, but both boxes I've trained at locally have been really good at mixing it up with less intense, less heavy, conditioning sessions throughout the week to break it up a bit.

I'm not very competitive anyway, but I can see how the competitive element of CrossFit combined with a competitive mindset, can lead to people pushing themselves too hard.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Andy__Dane wrote: »

I dunno, possibly that. Or those that can be overly competitive. If you go all out on every single workout then you're going to put yourself at risk of injury.

I don't know whether I've just been lucky, but both boxes I've trained at locally have been really good at mixing it up with less intense, less heavy, conditioning sessions throughout the week to break it up a bit.

I'm not very competitive anyway, but I can see how the competitive element of CrossFit combined with a competitive mindset, can lead to people pushing themselves too hard.

One common theme that seems to run through anecdotes of serious injuries was that the culture at the box encouraged risky behaviour. As a person who does both Olympic lifting and Powerlifting I cringe at the idea of people doing highly technical lifts, with high relative to max weights in fatigued states due to increased risk of injury when form breaks down. People really need to be aware whenever they lift and need to understand how safely dump a lift. I'm actually surprised we don't see more injuries so to me it seems relatively safe overall despite my reservations about some of what I've seen.

I think that as long as the instructors and lifters have a culture that promotes a safe approach to the exercises there isn't a huge risk.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Crossfit?

No.

apmbtcb7elo4.png

Dunno. All the crossfit athletes I know have injured themself wile playing footbhall (or what Americans call soccer) and one athlete injured her back when she didn't warm up properly.

At my box we have the new comers quarters. The bars there are 5 kg - 15 kg (standard Olympic bar for males is 20 kg) and the plates are bumper plates, none heavier than 10 kg.

They have to show up for beginnera class 3x per week for 4 weeks before they are allowed to workout and be a part of our wod's

Our head coach is very strict about this and when you're cleared to join wods you have at least 2 coaches to help you out and assist you.

I don't see a lot of crossfit related injury.

That's a very responsible way to approach the technical lifts so I can see why you don't see a lot of injuries. It sounds like they are borrowing heavily from Oly lifting here because this is pretty similar to the way I started.

I also have noticed a trend for experienced Oly lifting coaches and lifters to move into CF as coaches and that's a good thing in my books.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Crossfit?

No.

Considering the obscenely high rate of injuries at the crossfit games this past year, I don't think that novice status is to blame since the injuries are just as high among the ranked competitors.
  • CircleJerkk
    CircleJerkk Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    lmao opposite problem here. I've always done the heavy lifting by myself and just recently started with classes, and i feel really awkward and insecure being around all the other people. In fact I hate classes passionately because I'm sick of hearing all these middle aged house wives talk about their binge drinking and child rearing. I'm stuck going now though because it's $100/mo and I signed up for a year aaaaaargh. Look, if lifting isn't for you, then it isn't for you. We all like different things.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Crossfit?

No.

Considering the obscenely high rate of injuries at the crossfit games this past year, I don't think that novice status is to blame since the injuries are just as high among the ranked competitors.

I wonder if those would actually included in the study, I'm not sure what they used for reporting measures. If it's hospital records or surveys or a mix. Competitions are always going to have higher injury rates than just training because people are going to push themselves a lot more.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Okiludy wrote: »
    You mean like the death rate for marathon runners, football, equestrian, or martial arts?

Don’t get me wrong I prefer powerlifting but think the angst against CrossFit is not rational when you compare statistics. It’s just not as bad as you may believe when compared to most things people do.
    My sister in law is a physical therapist.
    She credits CrossFit as being the #1 she is so busy in the last few years.

If you want competition, group settings, etc. then get into Oly lifts or Powerlifting.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    Okiludy wrote: »
    You mean like the death rate for marathon runners, football, equestrian, or martial arts?

Don’t get me wrong I prefer powerlifting but think the angst against CrossFit is not rational when you compare statistics. It’s just not as bad as you may believe when compared to most things people do.
    My sister in law is a physical therapist.
    She credits CrossFit as being the #1 she is so busy in the last few years.

I love this made up line that everyone who "knows a physical therapist" uses. It's like the urban legend of anecdotes.
    Really? You are now claiming I made my sister in law up?
    Pretty bold and defensive statement from someone hiding behind a keyboard.

Way to change the subject.