Suggestions on what to do with lentils? I want to love them.

Options
13»

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    i sprout them!

That's interesting! Will they still sprout if they are split like the yellow ones or split peas?

The only way to find out is to try it. Soak them for a few hours or overnight, then drain and see what happens. Mist a few times a day.
  • rachaelh94
    rachaelh94 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    lentil bolognese! https://www.ihearteating.com/lentil-bolognese-recipe/
    really good with Parmesan cheese on top!
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Another person who adds lentils to soups and cottage / shephers's pie. I quite often make boiled egg and lentil curry - easy one pot cooking and very tasty.

I also boil orange lentils down with some onion and a bayleaf to a good 'mush' and add strong cheese. And use this as a cauliflower (and potato and carrot) cheese sauce.

• Dame_sans_merci
    Dame_sans_merci Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Red Lentils (small, almost flat, dried) - I add a small cupped handful to all soup that might be blitzed a bit, as a thickener rather than using potato. You must rinse them well first in cold water otherwise they can leave a scum on the top of the soup. They break down to virtually mush so you shouldn’t notice a muddy gritty taste.

Green lentils - okay so we cheat and buy canned green lentils in water. Mainly because I never plan my meals enough to be bothered soaking the dried ones in advance. I use them the same as minced beef....so predominantly a bolognese or chilli. It all about the additions to the sauce though. I add grated carrot for sweetness, canned tomatoes or passata, fresh garlic, dry herbs, onions, mushrooms, a stock cube and some vegetarian Worcestershire sauce. Let it simmer on a really low heat so the sauce gets gorgeously thick and sweet and the lentils get very soft while just about keeping their shape.

Puy Lentils - supposed to retain their ‘bite’ but I (again) buy the pre-cooked ones for convenience but sauté them in either a little smoked bacon or chorizo before topping with poached cod, baked cherry tomatoes and wilted spinach. If you are veggie, then you could just add some smoked paprika to the lentils when sautéing to give a similar(ish) effect to chorizo.
  • jonder1
    jonder1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Lentil Sloppy Joes!
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Lentils soak up basically every flavour you put with them. I like curry powder and ridiculous amounts of salt (I am a salt gorgon).
  • LookingBusy
    LookingBusy Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Saute some garlic and mushrooms. Throw in some cooked lentils (I used canned for this since they are fast and hearty). Top with poached eggs and maybe some Parmesan. I was amazed at how well this came together. Some times I will add a chopped potato to the mix as well.