Why all of a sudden do I have less energy during my runs?

alexastoutxo
alexastoutxo Posts: 139 Member
edited March 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
So lately I've been feeling run down and fatigue during my runs and I can't pinpoint what it could be exactly . I run intensely 5-6 days a week, 45-55+ miles and I've kept my calories the same (Although I haven't been tracking accurately since I'm usually very busy). The only thing ive changed is how many hours I fast for (14-15 hours) when I would generally fast for much less than that.

I'm not sure whether my calories are just too low or the 14-15 hours is cutting into my energy for my runs. I did some research and it could possibly be my glycogen stores are just too low? Ahh I don't know but it's quite frustrating. What do you guys think it could be?
Low glycogen stores?
Too low of calories?
Too much fasting hours?
Not eniugh rest days?
I only mention the fasting because i came across articles explaining that fasting too much could cause low energy levels and performance in running so I'm curious

Replies

• crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Not enough rest?
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,369 Member
    Over exercising? If you have been busy are you sure you are eating enough?
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 697 Member
    edited March 2018
    Research "overreaching vs overtraining". It's one of the two.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    You say the only thing changed is your fasting window... change it back for a while and see if it makes a difference

Unfortunately I can't either because my fasting period is working with my schedule very well right now(for work, activities etc.) and it's going to complicate things way too much for me to change them.

Run less then
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Impossible to say. You've identified the possible factors, now you have to eliminate one at a time and see how you respond.

I would add not enough sleep to the list of possibilities.

How long/far do you run each day?
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Just been reading up in a runners magazine.
    Are you female? (not clear from your profile/name) Do you eat (red) meat
    It seems that a number of women runner may have lowish iron when they do not eat red meat.
    Just a thought
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    I would look to it just being the mileage catching up to you and not enough recovery first.
    Then total calories not being enough
    then the fasting timing throwing off your energy. I know people react differently to fasting. It doesn't bother me, but some it does.
  • Rincewind_1965
    Rincewind_1965 Posts: 639 Member
    Fasting and running are two things that don't go together very well.
    IF you try to do this fasting and running have to be coordinated precisely otherwise you will literally be "running on empty". This is even more true for runners with your mileage.

It usually is recommended to fill up glycogen about two hours before a run.
    Carbs are important for runners, monitor carb-intake during your runs (about 100 kcal from carbs every 40 minutes).

Your suggestions for possible reasons are quite good.
    Any of them or a combination might be the culprit.

So step on the brake a bit
    -4-5 days of workout are completely okay for a non-professional.
    -Make sure you eat enough. Deficits of 1,000 kcal+ on a day before a run are a No-Go area.
    -Make sure your fasting and running periods get hamonized
    -A rest day every two days and every second "rest day" a sport that has nothing to do with running (e.g. Swimming)

Try these and very soon you will be up and running again.

Enjoy
  • alexastoutxo
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Impossible to say. You've identified the possible factors, now you have to eliminate one at a time and see how you respond.

I would add not enough sleep to the list of possibilities.

How long/far do you run each day?

I actually get about 8-9 hours of sleep so its actually not a problem haha but I run 5-13+ miles each day. I guess it just depends on how much feeling that day
  • alexastoutxo
    rybo wrote: »
    I would look to it just being the mileage catching up to you and not enough recovery first.
    then the fasting timing throwing off your energy. I know people react differently to fasting. It doesn't bother me, but some it does.

Would a 14-15 hour fast be enough to throw off my energy levels? I never run faster though. I always eat before I run
  • Rose18l
    Rose18l Posts: 147 Member
    If you don't want to change the fasting window try to carb load before going for a run. The carbs will provide your body with some quick energy. Also take some high sugar fruits or haribo gummies (those bear gummies have a lot of fast absorbing sugars) to bring the sugar levels up.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    rybo wrote: »

Would a 14-15 hour fast be enough to throw off my energy levels? I never run faster though. I always eat before I run

If you aren't running fasted, then I'd really doubt its the 14-15 hrs without food that is causing the problem. Are you eating enough total calories to sustain that level of mileage? That seems like a bigger issue. I can workout and/or run fasted and not even bat an eye or lose any performance. But I eat enough calories to support that activity.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    My bet is on total cals and/or sufficient recovery. Since the 2 kind of go hand in hand, I'm betting it's a bit of both.

BTW - 5 days @5 miles a day is VERY different from 5 days @13 miles. What volume are we really talking about here?
  • alexastoutxo
    IF you try to do this fasting and running have to be coordinated precisely otherwise you will literally be "running on empty". This is even more true for runners with your mileage.

Carbs are important for runners, monitor carb-intake during your runs (about 100 kcal from carbs every 40 minutes).

-Make sure you eat enough. Deficits of 1,000 kcal+ on a day before a run are a No-Go area.
    -A rest day every two days and every second "rest day" a sport that has nothing to do with running (e.g. Swimming)

Enjoy

Well I never run fasted. I have my first meal, wait an hour and then go for my run. I need the fuel or else I will be hungry and dizzy during my runs. I think I will take your suggestion though It may be just taking an extra rest day and possibly upping my calories. Although I've had my calories the same for weeks with this same training and I've felt fine. The part I find mostly strange is the fact that I suddenly have less energy so maybe the mileage is catching up to me?
  • alexastoutxo
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    My bet is on total cals and/or sufficient recovery. Since the 2 kind of go hand in hand, I'm betting it's a bit of both.

BTW - 5 days @5 miles a day is VERY different from 5 days @13 miles. What volume are we really talking about here?

Mmm I would say most days I run 8-13+miles and the rest may be shorter. I'll lay it out so it's easier
    Sun-10 miles
    Mon- 11 miles
    Tues-9 miles
    Wed-5 or 6 miles
    Thurs-rest
    Fri- 7 miles
    Sat-13+ miles
    There are weeks I go lower but this is just a general layout of it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

Enjoy

Well I never run fasted. I have my first meal, wait an hour and then go for my run. I need the fuel or else I will be hungry and dizzy during my runs. I think I will take your suggestion though It may be just taking an extra rest day and possibly upping my calories. Although I've had my calories the same for weeks with this same training and I've felt fine. The part I find mostly strange is the fact that I suddenly have less energy so maybe the mileage is catching up to me?

I always consider my calories and carbs the day before long runs (9 miles +) as well.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Not fuelling your body properly for your runs.
    Or over exercising.