Why all of a sudden do I have less energy during my runs?

2»

Replies

• ronocnikral
    ronocnikral Posts: 176 Member
    I'm going to go in a different direction.... Aerobic deficiency syndrome.

You run too intensely and your aerobic muscles aren't developed. You then rely too much on
    glycogen and you're not eating enough... Just guessing from limited information.
  • alexastoutxo
    alexastoutxo Posts: 139 Member
    Fasting and running are two things that don't go together very well.
    IF you try to do this fasting and running have to be coordinated precisely otherwise you will literally be "running on empty". This is even more true for runners with your mileage.

It usually is recommended to fill up glycogen about two hours before a run.
    Carbs are important for runners, monitor carb-intake during your runs (about 100 kcal from carbs every 40 minutes).

Your suggestions for possible reasons are quite good.
    Any of them or a combination might be the culprit.

So step on the brake a bit
    -4-5 days of workout are completely okay for a non-professional.
    -Make sure you eat enough. Deficits of 1,000 kcal+ on a day before a run are a No-Go area.
    -Make sure your fasting and running periods get hamonized
    -A rest day every two days and every second "rest day" a sport that has nothing to do with running (e.g. Swimming)

Try these and very soon you will be up and running again.

Enjoy

Well I never run fasted. I have my first meal, wait an hour and then go for my run. I need the fuel or else I will be hungry and dizzy during my runs. I think I will take your suggestion though It may be just taking an extra rest day and possibly upping my calories. Although I've had my calories the same for weeks with this same training and I've felt fine. The part I find mostly strange is the fact that I suddenly have less energy so maybe the mileage is catching up to me?

I always consider my calories and carbs the day before long runs (9 miles +) as well.

Do you think it would benefit me to take in more calories+carbs in the day before a long run(9+) then?
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Impossible to say. You've identified the possible factors, now you have to eliminate one at a time and see how you respond.

I'll say it again...

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    IF you try to do this fasting and running have to be coordinated precisely otherwise you will literally be "running on empty". This is even more true for runners with your mileage.

Carbs are important for runners, monitor carb-intake during your runs (about 100 kcal from carbs every 40 minutes).

-Make sure you eat enough. Deficits of 1,000 kcal+ on a day before a run are a No-Go area.
    -A rest day every two days and every second "rest day" a sport that has nothing to do with running (e.g. Swimming)

Enjoy

Well I never run fasted. I have my first meal, wait an hour and then go for my run. I need the fuel or else I will be hungry and dizzy during my runs. I think I will take your suggestion though It may be just taking an extra rest day and possibly upping my calories. Although I've had my calories the same for weeks with this same training and I've felt fine. The part I find mostly strange is the fact that I suddenly have less energy so maybe the mileage is catching up to me?

I always consider my calories and carbs the day before long runs (9 miles +) as well.

Do you think it would benefit me to take in more calories+carbs in the day before a long run(9+) then?

if you cant fuel your exercise, then you need to eat more or exercise less.
  • alexastoutxo

Enjoy

if you cant fuel your exercise, then you need to eat more or exercise less.

Yeah, I guess I haven't been on top of my nutrition because I've been so busy lately. I'm just going to take in alot more carbs and see how I feel. Thanks alot!
  • alexastoutxo
    I'm going to go in a different direction.... Aerobic deficiency syndrome.

You run too intensely and your aerobic muscles aren't developed. You then rely too much on
    glycogen and you're not eating enough... Just guessing from limited information.

Never heard of it but I'll definitely look into it more thanks!
  • Rincewind_1965
    Rincewind_1965 Posts: 639 Member
    edited March 2018
    As a coincidence MFP just published this blog:

Don't make these 5 performance fueling mistakes
    Might be a bit on the general side, but possibly is helpful for you.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    So lately I've been feeling run down and fatigue during my runs and I can't pinpoint what it could be exactly . I run intensely 5-6 days a week, 45-55+ miles and I've kept my calories the same (Although I haven't been tracking accurately since I'm usually very busy). The only thing ive changed is how many hours I fast for (14-15 hours) when I would generally fast for much less than that.

The bolded item is what's your problem. You can't run anaerobically too many times a week every week.

https://www.runnersworld.com/rt-web-exclusive/train-at-the-right-intensity-ratio

• ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    You could be getting sick. Sometimes I'll have trouble for a few days, and I wonder why, and then the cold comes on, which explains it.
  • aishanow
    aishanow Posts: 5 Member
    Try taking a supplement with b vitamins and also get a blood test to rule out low vit d, iron, prediabeties
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    When's the last time you took a week off? I know a week sounds like a long time, but your body might need it. Every time you run, you are using the same muscles. 1 day might not be adequate time to recover, especially from a 13 mile run. You could have just reached a limit where your body needs the rest. You can still walk, bike, hike, go to the gym and be active, but skip the runs for a week and see if that helps.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    edited March 2018
    You're over thinking and over researching this. Isolate the 2 things that have changed. You're not accurately keeping track of what you're eating and you're fasting. Change one of those two things for 3 days and see what happens to your energy level. If it doesn't change then that's probably not the problem.

Also, calories is too general. Look at what you're eating. Have you been eating more refined carbs? More junk food? Less carbs? Less protein? Less fiber? What you eat can greatly impact your energy level.

If none of that helps, your probably just stressed. If you're too busy to accurately track what you eat sounds like you might just have a lot going on and need to maybe scale back on something whether its running or other responsibilities.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Just one thing to add - if everything else doesn't pan out...it could always be something really simple, like you're sick with something, you know?

There are some low level viruses that don't cause many symptoms except for fatigue, but sometimes they can last for weeks (like some folks get a mild case of mono that feels like a cold, say, and then have the fatigue last for months). Or could be something new that triggered (celiac disease, for example, where you stop being able to absorb nutrients as well and so can start being nutrient deficient. It literally just triggers, and can do so at any age).

Not saying it IS these things, but if nothing else pans out, it's just good to remember that we can sometimes be plain ole sick without a lot of symptoms.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    So lately I've been feeling run down and fatigue during my runs and I can't pinpoint what it could be exactly . I run intensely 5-6 days a week, 45-55+ miles and I've kept my calories the same (Although I haven't been tracking accurately since I'm usually very busy). The only thing ive changed is how many hours I fast for (14-15 hours) when I would generally fast for much less than that.

I'm not sure whether my calories are just too low or the 14-15 hours is cutting into my energy for my runs. I did some research and it could possibly be my glycogen stores are just too low? Ahh I don't know but it's quite frustrating. What do you guys think it could be?
    Low glycogen stores?
    Too low of calories?
    Too much fasting hours?
    Not eniugh rest days?
    I only mention the fasting because i came across articles explaining that fasting too much could cause low energy levels and performance in running so I'm curious

1. See your dr.
    2. Stop the long fasts, your liver needs glucogen stores to fuel your runs. The long fasts make it hard to refuel for your next runs.
    3. Get back to accurate tracking of your food.
    4. Choose a diet with carbs. Mostly complex carbs and some simple carbs like fruit. The MFP default macro split is worth trying, I have found it helps my endurance in the swimming pool.
    5. Be sure you stay hydrated. Especially important is to keep your electrolytes in a healthy balance. Try propel or some other fluid to keep your electrolytes at a healthy level.
    6. More rest. Cut back on your distances until you feel better, than slowly work up to a saner level of distance runs.
    7. Listen to your body always. If you sense a change in energy levels/feeling of fatigue, that is your body telling you something is up.
    8. Consider keeping an open diary and making mfp pals with folks for support. Hugs!
  • 1houndgal

Enjoy

I lean yes. Since you run so much, you need more fuel and the right kind of fuels to fuel your workouts.
  • 1houndgal
    edited March 2018

I'm not sure whether my calories are just too low or the 14-15 hours is cutting into my energy for my runs. I did some research and it could possibly be my glycogen stores are just too low? Ahh I don't know but it's quite frustrating. What do you guys think it could be?
    Low glycogen stores?
    Too low of calories?
    Too much fasting hours?
    Not eniugh rest days?
    I only mention the fasting because i came across articles explaining that fasting too much could cause low energy levels and performance in running so I'm curious

Yes. Fasting so much makes it hard for your body to replenish the glycogen. Your body needs more fuel. And at this point it likely needs more rest. Hugs.
  • 1houndgal
    rybo wrote: »
    I would look to it just being the mileage catching up to you and not enough recovery first.
    Then total calories not being enough
    then the fasting timing throwing off your energy. I know people react differently to fasting. It doesn't bother me, but some it does.

Would a 14-15 hour fast be enough to throw off my energy levels? I never run faster though. I always eat before I run

Yes!