Weight Watchers

Options
My friend wants me to join weight watchers with her...
I like the idea of having an accountability partner but I don’t understand how people can lose weight eating anything in any amount because it’s on the “free points list”

Does anyone do WW? Any success stories?

Replies

• yvonne_beavis
    yvonne_beavis Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 lbs with WW, with the 'pro points' system which did not allow as many 'free' foods as the new programme. I couldn't get on with the new system so swapped to calorie counting instead. Either approach probably works, though with WW now there is the greater difficulty that you simply can't eat all the foods on the free list in any quantity you want, so you have to do some sort of calorie counting in addition. Personally I find it easier just to count the calories full stop, but I wouldn't underestimate the support that a lot of people get from the WW meetings or their online offer. Good luck whatever you choose.
  • ent3rsandman
    ent3rsandman Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I had a friend do WW and cross-check their methods with me. Apparently WW believes that if you don't eat up to your personal point limit, you won't lose weight. When I looked at her point limit, it appeared to be maintenance for her but I guess that entirely depends on her food choices since there's not a direct relation between the calories in something and the corresponding WW point value.

It was a valuable resource in the 90s. Now? Not so much. The conversion of food values to points is just needlessly complicated when all the information is written out for us on MFP/cronometer/whatever CICO tracker you use. The community aspect is nice, but you can get that at any gym or fitness-oriented class.
  • amanda9981
    amanda9981 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
    I lost 50lbs a few years ago, just from tracking on mfp and exercising.
    I will definitely continue “calorie count” (because I know it works) but I think I’ll also try the meetings with my friend just to have that support as well.
    I’m just so baffled by the zero points foods... lol
  • wuttadeal
    wuttadeal Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was having moderate success on WW until Freestyle. Due to dietary restrictions/allergies I couldn't eat some of the new "free" foods such as shellfish, Greek yogurt and beans. I am having success again tracking with MFP. That said, while I think WW overly complicates eating, the plan does a good job of helping you work special occasions and treats into your eating plan. I like that aspect. I still attend meetings for the weekly weigh-in, but don't count points anymore.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I had a friend that did it in the 80’s. In high school. Seemed odd to me then. But at least it had a point back then. Now, with the internet and so much information available, meh. Seems like a waste of money. Unless you like the in person community....assuming they still have that. That would be the only plus I see for someone that likes that.
  • Bchlvr64
    Bchlvr64 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I used weight watchers years ago with great success. The new freestyle I wouldn't do. Since Jean Nidetch is gone and a new CEO Mindy Grossman is in they are completely rebranding WW. Lifetime will be phased out along with meetings. They say "healthy is the new skinny". Check out the article. https://www.fastcompany.com/40500280/how-weight-watchers-transformed-itself-into-a-lifestyle-brand