Halo Top now in Canada

Options

Replies

• SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Birder165 wrote: »
    Thanks for this! I've been a big fan of coolwhey and excited to try the new flavors (with much better macros). Is the chocolate chocolate chip similar to the old ones that were 600 calories per pint? I'm afraid to get the numbers down it won't be nearly as tasty?

I can't help you with a comparison. I've never had the CoolWhey.
    I can tell you that in my opinion, the chocolate chocolate chip from CoolWay was richer tasting to me than the plain chocolate from Halo Top. I'm also not getting a sweetener aftertaste like I do from the Halo.
    To me the closest comparison would be a frozen yogurt feel.

Interesting - I have a hard time finding chocolate ice cream that I really like, as most of them seem too "light". The only one I've been willing to buy more than one carton of was Haagen Dazs... that was a nice rich-tasting one!

I'll have to check out Walmart again and see if they have anything new - we shop there every week and they had nothing on Saturday. :)
  • Birder165
    Birder165 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    I'm in Alberta. :) And no, I haven't tried the Breyers - honestly, I didn't even notice those until I was looking closely at the photos after I got home! I was just looking for signs of Halo Top and completely forgot about that. I'm not sure how the price compares to the HT, so I'll have to check next time I'm in the store. Maybe I'll get some of that to try until the HT comes back in!

I'm not sure it's out your way yet, but I just heard about (and found) CoolWay. It's Canadian made and is pretty good. To me, they taste more like dairy and are less sweet or intense flavour wise than HT. I also don't get a sweetener aftertaste like with some of the HT I've tried.
    I found the CoolWay at Walmart and it was $4.97 per pint. pzso8woy1qmo.jpg

• crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    g70paxdmfk1z.jpeg

For anyone in the Calgary area, I found more at the Crowfoot Co-op. They have a few more flavours than Superstore has (cookies & cream, birthday cake, chocolate, and caramel macchiato), they’re slightly cheaper, and they’re in stock.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    g70paxdmfk1z.jpeg

For anyone in the Calgary area, I found more at the Crowfoot Co-op. They have a few more flavours than Superstore has (cookies & cream, birthday cake, chocolate, and caramel macchiato), they’re slightly cheaper, and they’re in stock.

That's great...I think I'll try the caramel macchiato one!
    Thanks for letting us know :)
  • Dhellia
    Dhellia Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I am surprised. Winnipeg Superstores have them. Brandon no, but Winnipeg yes.

Still not enough reason to go to Winnipeg this time of year. But if I could get to see a Jets game, then maybe....

(was born there)

So much shade! I'm definitely going to Superstore this weekend to pick some up. This better not be a LaCroix experience though.
  • tmaths
    tmaths Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    They still have some at metro, I was at Freshco in morning to pick up some bottled water, stopped by Metro and it's there too
  • vegmebuff
    Options
    vegmebuff wrote: »
    g70paxdmfk1z.jpeg

I tried the downtown Co-op thinking they would carry them (since the Crowfoot one does...)Nope...none that I could see.
  • crabbybrianna
    Options
    g70paxdmfk1z.jpeg

I tried the downtown Co-op thinking they would carry them (since the Crowfoot one does...)Nope...none that I could see.

That’s strange. Is the downtown Co-op a big one? I know that the smaller Co-ops don’t carry nearly as much as the larger ones (the Brentwood one is the worst) but you’d think downtown would have some.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Look what I sort-of-found today! An empty shelf at my local small town Save On Foods...

*kitten*. Now I have to go out and try cave-on since my trip to stupidstore was a failure.

Kinda like looking for steak rub the other day and realizing I had to go to Princess Auto to get the one I like. Gets a bit confusing after a while.

Well. I guess I have to stop my whining.

Found it at Save-On today. Bought one of each and will do a sampling after rib-eye and potatoes. And will compare to the Maple Walnut I've got in the freezer. So yeah, 5 servings of ice-cream tonight. Good thing I have an 11k run tomorrow.
  • vegmebuff
    Options
    g70paxdmfk1z.jpeg

That’s strange. Is the downtown Co-op a big one? I know that the smaller Co-ops don’t carry nearly as much as the larger ones (the Brentwood one is the worst) but you’d think downtown would have some.

that's most likely the reason...it's not that big compared to others out there. oh well, just great to know that Cowtown carries them...somewhere :D
  • Tacklewasher
    Options
    Here's my opinion.

arj72g5sunph.png
    2yj5yest21hs.jpg
    3vi8xf5t2mti.jpg

I used Breyers Maple Nutty Twist as comparison as it is what I had been eating. Kinda too bad as it isn't my favourite and probably won't buy it again. I had (what I think) is a half serving of it and each of the 4 Halo Top flavours.

I like the peanut butter swirl. I had tried that one before on vacation. The birthday cake was good, 3rd favourite. Minty chip was second and I wasn't fond of the candy bar.

The Breyers is $6 for a 1.66L package, Halo Top is $7 on sale (normal $8) for a 473 ml package. So roughly 1/3rd the size.

And the calories difference is not that much. 110 for 125 ml for the Breyers vs 80-100 for 125ml of the Halo Top.

So, in short, not sure I'm going to splurge on them again.

• SueSueDio
    Options
    @Tacklewasher What was the texture like compared to regular ice cream? Was it creamy at all, or more sorbet-like?
  • Tacklewasher
    Options
    @Tacklewasher What was the texture like compared to regular ice cream? Was it creamy at all, or more sorbet-like?

More or less like ice cream. It's not sorbet for sure. I've had creamier but it's worth trying just to see what all the hype is.
  • vegmebuff
    Options
    g70paxdmfk1z.jpeg

that's most likely the reason...it's not that big compared to others out there. oh well, just great to know that Cowtown carries them...somewhere :D

Signal Hill Co-op carries 10 flavors: oatmeal, pancake, candy bar, caramel macchiato, vanilla, chocolate, mint chip, b-day, cookie cream, sea salt. Sold out of most of them - the ones I wanted to try

found them (although mostly sold out) at the StupidStore (Signhill) in the Regular place that sells ice cream - not in the organic/natural freezer area. They also sell (although sold out) chocolate or vanilla Breyers Delights...
  • Birder165
    edited March 2018
    Options

I know I'm not Tacklewasher but ... I would say the Halo Top and the CoolWay are more like frozen yogurt in texture. I found the CoolWay slightly more dairy like in flavour than the HT. I would describe the CoolWay flavours as less intense in flavour except for the Mint Chip and the Chocolate Chocolate Chip. Those are my two favourites.

• Birder165
    Options

Interesting - I have a hard time finding chocolate ice cream that I really like, as most of them seem too "light". The only one I've been willing to buy more than one carton of was Haagen Dazs... that was a nice rich-tasting one!

I'll have to check out Walmart again and see if they have anything new - we shop there every week and they had nothing on Saturday. :)

I had to check a few freezers at Walmart to find it. It wasn't with all the other ice creams but with the ice cream sandwiches and cones so make sure you check all of them.

• Birder165
    Options
    The Breyers is $6 for a 1.66L package, Halo Top is $7 on sale (normal $8) for a 473 ml package. So roughly 1/3rd the size.

And the calories difference is not that much. 110 for 125 ml for the Breyers vs 80-100 for 125ml of the Halo Top.

I agree that the prices are ridiculous for the amount you get.

Are you able to eat a serving or two of the regular stuff and move on? Did you ever have a problem moderating the amount you ate of ice cream?

I still haven't gotten to the point of taking a serving and leaving the rest in the freezer. I should work on that.

• crabbybrianna
    Options
    g70paxdmfk1z.jpeg

Signal Hill Co-op carries 10 flavors: oatmeal, pancake, candy bar, caramel macchiato, vanilla, chocolate, mint chip, b-day, cookie cream, sea salt. Sold out of most of them - the ones I wanted to try.

Thanks! Might check some of the other Co-ops around here, there are like 5 of them within a 10 minute drive from here, one of them must have more flavours than the Crowfoot one. Will probably wait for a sale, though…

I think Canada was only supposed to get 10 flavours, so that’s probably all of them at that store.
  • SueSueDio
    Options

Are you able to eat a serving or two of the regular stuff and move on? Did you ever have a problem moderating the amount you ate of ice cream?

I still haven't gotten to the point of taking a serving and leaving the rest in the freezer. I should work on that.

It IS expensive, which is why I'm a bit hesitant to buy it! I want to see what all the fuss is about for myself, but I don't have much disposable income to play with right now and I'm reluctant to waste it on something I might not like. I might see if I can treat myself to a new flavour every couple of weeks, or something. :)

Fortunately, I personally don't have too hard a time moderating ice cream, although we tend to buy the cheaper brands and it might be harder to resist a really good one! I've actually never tried frozen yogurt, so I'm not sure how I'd do with that sort of thing.

I guess the main point of these low-calorie brands is to cater to the people who want the ability to eat an entire pint without guilt!
  • Tacklewasher
    Options

I can take 2 servings (one isnt enough) and put the rest back. Been working on the Breyers for a couple of weeks now.