Halo Top now in Canada

Options

Replies

• SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Superstore is only carrying 4 flavours. Peanut butter swirl, salted caramel, pancakes & waffles, and oatmeal cookie, so I will for sure be trying the salted caramel! If they go on sale sometime soon I’ll pick up at least one of each. Unless another store starts carrying them (I know articles stated that Co-op would carry it, but so far they aren’t), we are pretty limited as far as flavours go.

Look what I sort-of-found today! An empty shelf at my local small town Save On Foods...

tot343ddfof6.jpg

Different flavours to those noted on the Halo Top website too - and Superstore was the only store noted as carrying it, on the site, so I guess it's worth checking everywhere just in case!

Apparently I'll (eventually) be able to try Mint Chip, Candy Bar, Birthday Cake and Peanut Butter Swirl. Except not that last one, because I'm not a big enough fan of PB to want it in my ice cream! (Shocking, I know.)

Which of those would the Halo Top Veterans suggest as the best one to try first? I'm tempted by the mint, but worried it'll be either too artificial or too minty!
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    No Metro. I’ve actually never even heard of Metro stores until this Halo Top discussion!

I had never either.
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    Superstore is only carrying 4 flavours. Peanut butter swirl, salted caramel, pancakes & waffles, and oatmeal cookie, so I will for sure be trying the salted caramel! If they go on sale sometime soon I’ll pick up at least one of each. Unless another store starts carrying them (I know articles stated that Co-op would carry it, but so far they aren’t), we are pretty limited as far as flavours go.

Look what I sort-of-found today! An empty shelf at my local small town Save On Foods...

tot343ddfof6.jpg

Different flavours to those noted on the Halo Top website too - and Superstore was the only store noted as carrying it, on the site, so I guess it's worth checking everywhere just in case!

Apparently I'll (eventually) be able to try Mint Chip, Candy Bar, Birthday Cake and Peanut Butter Swirl. Except not that last one, because I'm not a big enough fan of PB to want it in my ice cream! (Shocking, I know.)

Which of those would the Halo Top Veterans suggest as the best one to try first? I'm tempted by the mint, but worried it'll be either too artificial or too minty!

Ooh, I completely forgot Save On would be carrying these. That’s good news!
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options

I was at the Save On Foods (in Calgary) and they don't even carry it...I'm going to suggest that they start though. They (Save On) seems to carry interesting -different brands than the 'usual' stuff....

• vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

tot343ddfof6.jpg

So...this pic has me thinking...has anyone tried Breyers Delights? Sure looks like they are trying really hard to duplicate the Halo 'thing'. It's around $5.00/pint too?

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

*kitten*. Now I have to go out and try cave-on since my trip to stupidstore was a failure.

Kinda like looking for steak rub the other day and realizing I had to go to Princess Auto to get the one I like. Gets a bit confusing after a while.
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    vegmebuff wrote: »

tot343ddfof6.jpg

So...this pic has me thinking...has anyone tried Breyers Delights? Sure looks like they are trying really hard to duplicate the Halo 'thing'. It's around $5.00/pint too?

I want to try them, but the flavours don’t seem as interesting as the Halo ones, so I’m trying those first. I’d like to compare the vanilla Breyers to the vanilla Halo Top, if we ever get it out west.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

tot343ddfof6.jpg

I recommend the mint! I've only tried a few flavors, but it was one of my top two favs (chocolate chip cookie dough is the other)!
  • Birder165
    Birder165 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Ok. I'm all about shopping at whole foods but come on... This is just stupid. And the sad thing is that most of them were gone.

4v4ysnnn3ciw.jpg

I thought paying $5.99 was nuts. The regular price here in Windsor, ON is $6.99. (At Metro. I haven't found it at Superstore yet)
  • Birder165
    Options

tot343ddfof6.jpg

I'm intrigued by the Breyer's in this photo. Have you tried those? I've never seen them here in my part of Ontario.
    Are you in the U.S. or Canada?

• Muscleflex79
    Options
    Birder165 wrote: »

tot343ddfof6.jpg

I'm intrigued by the Breyer's in this photo. Have you tried those? I've never seen them here in my part of Ontario.

I saw the Breyer's in Ontario (Brampton/Mississauga area) but they were 7.99 per pint! thought it was crazy that they were even MORE than the halo top (and much more limited flavors).

(haven't tried them though)
  • crystallee85
    crystallee85 Posts: 50 Member
    Options

I’m from Windsor too! I bought mine at metro on central. There were very few. But I finally got to try Carmel macchiato.
  • onward1
    onward1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Ben and Jerry's is coming out with a low calorie ice cream to rival Halo Top. It seems Halo Top is the number one selling ice cream in the US at the moment, and they want in on the action. It's not out in pints yet, but I plan on swinging by the factory scoop shop, here in Vermont, to see if they're testing it there. Until then, Halo Top is the best, IMHO.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options

tot343ddfof6.jpg

I'm in Alberta, and the Breyers is at all my local Superstores. I tried the Breyers cookies and cream and vanilla and it's fine. I liked the huge cookie chunks in the cookies and cream, but the vanilla tasted strongly of sweetener to me so I covered it in cinnamon sugar and that improved matters. The texture is quite soft and fluffy, not a dense ice cream.

The only Halo Top I've been able to get my hands on is the Pancakes and Waffles and I really liked it. Tastes like Chapman's maple walnut frozen yogurt to me (especially because of the little waffle chunks that feel like nut pieces), and I've always liked it as a flavour.
  • Birder165
    Options
    I’m from Windsor too! I bought mine at metro on central. There were very few. But I finally got to try Carmel macchiato.

Hey! :)
    The store in Tecumseh (on Tecumseh just east of Banwell) and the store on Wyandotte E. had good selections. I still haven't found the cookie dough flavour yet, though.
  • Birder165
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Walmart finally had CoolWay in stock. $4.97 per pint. It's a Canadian company.

I'm sad that they didn't stock the Blueberry Waffle Crisp. That flavour was the one I really was looking forward to trying. They also didn't have the Cookies & Cream flavour.

I bought one of each flavour they had and tested a spoonful of each.
    I wouldn't bother with the Vanilla bean. It was the iciest and blandest of them all. Halo Top's version is better.

I would buy the others again. I found that they are somewhat less sweet, especially the Salted Caramel.
    The Chocolate Chocolate Chip seems more rich in cocoa flavour to me than Halo Top.

The Mint Chip is about the same as Halo's.

Toasted Coconut is really nice if you like coconut.

I didn't find any of them overpowering and all were a nice texture, except the Vanilla bean.

There is ever so slightly more in the carton - 500 ml as opposed to Halo's 473.
    The price is much better. $1 cheaper per carton than what I paid for the Halo Top on sale.hwju8vxmr24r.jpg
  • crystallee85
    crystallee85 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I’ve tried a lot of the flavours from the states but I’m glad I can get them close by. My faves are red velvet and candy bar. I cannot stress enough that both chocolate banana and rainbow swirl should not be consumed. I had to throw them out. They were AWFUL. Save yourself
  • Muscleflex79
    Options
    Walmart finally had CoolWay in stock. $4.97 per pint. It's a Canadian company.

I'm sad that they didn't stock the Blueberry Waffle Crisp. That flavour was the one I really was looking forward to trying. They also didn't have the Cookies & Cream flavour.

I bought one of each flavour they had and tested a spoonful of each.
    I wouldn't bother with the Vanilla bean. It was the iciest and blandest of them all. Halo Top's version is better.

I would buy the others again. I found that they are somewhat less sweet, especially the Salted Caramel.
    The Chocolate Chocolate Chip seems more rich in cocoa flavour to me than Halo Top.

The Mint Chip is about the same as Halo's.

Toasted Coconut is really nice if you like coconut.

I didn't find any of them overpowering and all were a nice texture, except the Vanilla bean.

There is ever so slightly more in the carton - 500 ml as opposed to Halo's 473.
    The price is much better. $1 cheaper per carton than what I paid for the Halo Top on sale.hwju8vxmr24r.jpg

Thanks for this! I've been a big fan of coolwhey and excited to try the new flavors (with much better macros). Is the chocolate chocolate chip similar to the old ones that were 600 calories per pint? I'm afraid to get the numbers down it won't be nearly as tasty?
  • Birder165
    Options
    Thanks for this! I've been a big fan of coolwhey and excited to try the new flavors (with much better macros). Is the chocolate chocolate chip similar to the old ones that were 600 calories per pint? I'm afraid to get the numbers down it won't be nearly as tasty?

I can't help you with a comparison. I've never had the CoolWhey.
    I can tell you that in my opinion, the chocolate chocolate chip from CoolWay was richer tasting to me than the plain chocolate from Halo Top. I'm also not getting a sweetener aftertaste like I do from the Halo.
    To me the closest comparison would be a frozen yogurt feel.

• SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options

I'm in Alberta. :) And no, I haven't tried the Breyers - honestly, I didn't even notice those until I was looking closely at the photos after I got home! I was just looking for signs of Halo Top and completely forgot about that. I'm not sure how the price compares to the HT, so I'll have to check next time I'm in the store. Maybe I'll get some of that to try until the HT comes back in!