Help cutting down on added sugar?

Options
NadNight
NadNight Posts: 794 Member
I eat a lot of sugar. I didn't realise quite how much until I started looking to decrease the amount of added sugar in my diet and found that I don't even know what to eat that isn't high in added sugar! From adding honey to my porridge to a lunch filled with chocolate biscuit snacks and cake bars, yoghurts with those yummy (but sugary) fruit compotes and daily chocolate bars plus whatever sweet treat I may have picked up (doesn't sound too bad but I had 7 mini egg crispie cakes! On top of what I would normally eat!). I also spend all day thinking about my next sugar fix and my skin is paying the price for the ridiculous amounts I eat.

So something needs to change. I'm not looking to lose weight so I need to keep my calories as they are. Some things are simple- like don't add honey to my porridge or honey glaze my salmon or veggies (sad but I'll live) and trade my chocolate dessert for a fruit based one. But when it comes to snacks...what do you snack on?! My go to snacks are biscuits and cakes or fruit if I'm feeling healthy but even that is high in sugar.

What are some low sugar snacks? I'm also struggling for low sugar packed lunch ideas

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I don't snack, but you can snack on any food you would eat at meals. Typical snack foods are typically high in added sugar, or fat, or both.

If you want to reduce added sugar, it's probably going to be more cooking from scratch.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    There are many "artificial" sweeteners on the market. If you don't want artificial, try Stevia. Best of luck.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't snack, I'd rather have larger meals, but some ideas are nuts, hard boiled eggs, a Quest bar (it's just fake sugar), vegetables + hummus or baba ganoush, plain greek yogurt with added berries, a pickle.
  • mortuseon_
    mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Take it slow. Better to cut down on sugary snacks gradually and get used to it, than cut them all out at once and make an unsustainable change. I like high protein snacks like Skyr or 0% Greek yoghurt (Fage) with cocoa powder and Truvia - the protein keeps me full which stops me needing to snack more. I still like sugary foods (eg protein bars, fibre one bars, Hell I had ice cream today) but those are good intermediaries. Also, meaty snacks and Quest bars.
  • artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    To all the above suggestions I add, to keep calories same, but eat less sugar, eat a bigger sandwich, or two, rather than biscuits and cakes. Try adding spicy ingredients to your sandwich or salad. Love the hummus and baba ganoush suggestion.
  • LadyElectron
    LadyElectron Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I’m trying to cut down on sugar too bc I notice that the more I have the more I want all day long! I just plain avoid foods I can’t enjoy without pouring tons sugar, like hot oatmeal.

This might sound crazy, but often I sprinkle sugar on things instead of adding honey or syrup. Waffles or toast with a bit of butter and teaspoon of sugar sprinkled on top is surprisingly sweet and satisfying, and seems more sweet than the same amount of jam or honey but it isn’t actually that much sugar. I think it just hits your tastebuds faster!

I also try to snack on cheese and deli meat, crunchy fresh veg with vinegar, popcorn instead of sweets. And if I have something sugary I try to pair it with something with protein or fiber so it’s more filling and I eat it slower. Maybe try having just one or two biscuits with a glass of milk or a few almonds and see how you feel.
  • CircleJerkk
    CircleJerkk Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Rose18l wrote: »
    Try to go a week without added sugar. After a while the things you used to love become way to sweet.

Very true, that's how I kicked my habit. I did the whole30 and after about 2 weeks all the sugar cravings were gone. I have noticed some people like to attack others for not eating sugar, but they don't realize that for some of us it makes depression really unbearable. Without (added) sugar I feel like i always hoped i would. Less anxiety and depression, also clear skin.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I'm always amazed about how people can get away with so much added sugar and still maintain a healthy weight. How are you guys not starving all day? I'm so jealous.

For what it's worth, switching any of those things for fruit is not going to make much of a difference sugar-wise.

Anyway, low sugar snacks - cheese, crackers, pretzels, nuts, plain Greek yogurt, beef jerky/sausage sticks.
    Rose18l wrote: »
    Try to go a week without added sugar. After a while the things you used to love become way to sweet.

Yeah that never happened to me LOL. I did get pickier about what I want to spend my calories on though.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    Rather than "cutting out added sugar" I just looked at it like a budget. I have tote calories a day. I can't afford to eat too many high calorie items, so I look where I can cut down. I used to drink my cappucino with sugar, then sweetner, but decided to train myself to drink it without. Then I avoid drinking my calories. I mostly drink water. A piece of cake, or a sweet roll is high calorie, so I have it on exercise days, and sometimes eat half. These are are small changes, but doable for me. Some cannot give up a glass of wine, or doughnut a day. That's perfectly fine, but then you cut somewhere else within your budget. I like sugar just fine, it's just like salt, or olive oil, or another flavor. MFP is a learning and training experience. If you want to change your life around you have to do things you can to last.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    0831227 wrote: »
    Agree with what has been said already, plus sugar is really addictive, the more you will cut down on it the less you will crave it and crave different tastes, a bit like salt for those who want to cut down on salt. I managed to cut down on sugar some years ago by switching to stevia and fruits and cooking from scratch, but I notice a very clear difference when I have a cheat day and eat chocolate, biscuits or candy... the next days I'm craving it like crazy.

Sugar has addictive like qualities IMHO, but addictive? I would dare anyone to eat a 5lb bag of table sugar at a sitting, but add fat, salt, and sugar together? Food crack! It's like chewing coco leaves while I was in the Andes years ago. They have the active alkaloids that are in cocaine, but I would not at all say they were addictive. Never tried cocaine, but according to Rick James, "cocaine, that's a hell of a drug!"