Help cutting down on added sugar?

Options
2»

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I didn't come here for drama, I only wanted to offer experience and advice to the OP. I obviously do not have the time to devote to dealing with the backlash from posting since this seems to have no end.

Good luck to everyone on their journey.

No drama, I think. People just look at things differently. No back lash either, just people sharing ideas. I personally try not to be too dogmatic anymore. I have learned a few things, but still have much to learn. One thing I have learned recently, is never try to argue with dietary zealots, now that always turns into a fight. Lol
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If you aren't looking to cut back on calories, I thought @Francl27 provided a great list. You will be replacing the sugary snacks with savoury, focusing on protein and fats.

I also think you will have a better time cutting back slowly.

If you take out the brown sugar on your oatmeal, add a few raisins, or an egg.

If you head for the cookies for a mid-day snack, have cheese and crackers, or cheese and an apple to replace it.

As an aside, I found other food choices helped my complexion a lot. There's drinking plenty of water to start. And having enough fat and protein in the diet.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Agree with everyone Lemur just said. Nature's sweetness is fantastic if not overdone. I love an apple with Peanut Butter (I buy the kind with no added sugar) or Prunes or those Date things with Coconut (can make those homemade). One of my all time favorite snacks (when I was doing super low carb) was popsicles made with Coconut Milk, peanut butter (no sugar added) and cocoa powder -- that's it. Like a frozen Reese's Cup. Frozen Grapes are amazing for an after lunch snack. I loved (when I did dairy) those Triple Zeros - Greek Yogurt with only stevia and even real fruit for coloring. Just sweet enough and high in protein, no aspartame and very tasty.

My lunch today was last night's dinner - Columbian Vegan Curry. I love me some good curry with Sweet Potatoes and Coconut Milk! Something about tomatoes, sweet potatoes and coconut milk together is amazing. Add in some spicy seasonings and peppers and it's a great way to get sweetness but not overkill.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    NadNight wrote: »
    I eat a lot of sugar. I didn't realise quite how much until I started looking to decrease the amount of added sugar in my diet and found that I don't even know what to eat that isn't high in added sugar! From adding honey to my porridge to a lunch filled with chocolate biscuit snacks and cake bars, yoghurts with those yummy (but sugary) fruit compotes and daily chocolate bars plus whatever sweet treat I may have picked up (doesn't sound too bad but I had 7 mini egg crispie cakes! On top of what I would normally eat!). I also spend all day thinking about my next sugar fix and my skin is paying the price for the ridiculous amounts I eat.

So something needs to change. I'm not looking to lose weight so I need to keep my calories as they are. Some things are simple- like don't add honey to my porridge or honey glaze my salmon or veggies (sad but I'll live) and trade my chocolate dessert for a fruit based one. But when it comes to snacks...what do you snack on?! My go to snacks are biscuits and cakes or fruit if I'm feeling healthy but even that is high in sugar.

What are some low sugar snacks? I'm also struggling for low sugar packed lunch ideas

If you are talking added sugar, than thinks like honey, fruits and some yogurts would be fine. And while biscuits and cake bars are largely fat, you can always replace them with fruits, chocolate (which probably won't have added sugar in it), or even savory things.

Ultimately, you are going to have to play around with the foods you crave and change them with other foods.
  • ellefox70
    ellefox70 Posts: 58 Member
    Options

If you take out the brown sugar on your oatmeal, add a few raisins, or an egg.

How does egg in oatmeal work? Do u literally just crack an egg into it whilst it’s cooking or is something else necessary? Thanx!

[/quote]

• Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    I keep a bag of frozen strawberries in the freezer and when I just have to have something, I'll pop a few those...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    ellefox70 wrote: »
    How does egg in oatmeal work? Do u literally just crack an egg into it whilst it’s cooking or is something else necessary? Thanx!

People do different things. When I do savory oats with an egg I'll cook the egg sunnyside up and then mix it in to the cooked oats. (I add chopped and cooked veg too.) Mix of savory and sweet that's pretty tasty is the egg, oats, and blueberries.
  • SanguineAllure
    SanguineAllure Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    When I was cutting down pretty much everything unhealthy, I started with sugar. I was addicted to soda and chocolate and sweet things. So what I did was a switch to diet soda for about two weeks, then I switched to those carbonated fruit waters. Then when I was fine with just plain water, I started switching to eating some sort of fruit whenever I wanted something sweet. Sometimes, in the beginning, I drizzled the berries with chocolate sauce and then eventually cut that down. Now all I eat is fruits and occasionally peanut butter when I want something sweet. It took about a month, but now I am fully vegan, and no longer crave any of those things~
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I made a pact with myself to only have intentional sugar. I make snacks fruit, veggies or nuts on most days. Sometimes cheese. I do not eat sugar in salad dressing and stuff like that. For me it is essential in oatmeal - but not in coffee or tea. Plain yogurt is tge best choice for me. And I get unsweetened nut milks. But if the cake looks really good, I’ll just have it. Try not to do it daily.

Many days I do not have more than 1-2 teaspoons of added sugar.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Interesting discussion