How much exercise is too much?

Options
I work 3 days a week at an extremely physical job. I walk approximately 10 miles a day and end up lifting thousands of pounds by the end of the day. I will burn 1800 calories before 7am on days I work.(Warehouse work order filling/order picker). 4 days a week I do Insanity but nothing else except chores. I am thinking about getting a bike and riding for 30 minutes to an hour a day as well as insanity. Is that too much?

Replies

• jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    What is your goal? It sounds more like you’re spinning your wheels.

Lose weight and get fit. How am I spinning my wheels? Just asking if riding a bike with insanity is too much with my job too.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

So much this!!

Where are you, health/fitness/weight. Where do you want to be?

Insanity is a good program for some people, but with everything else you're doing, it may be doing nothing more than wearing you out.

And you might be better of picking a program designed to supplement your lifestyle and move you towards your goals.
  • jefamer2017
    Options

So much this!!

Insanity is a good program for some people, but with everything else you're doing, it may be doing nothing more than wearing you out.

And you might be better of picking a program designed to supplement your lifestyle and move you towards your goals.

I am 35 female 5' 4" SW 204 GW135. Current weight 193. I literally sit on the couch all day long on my 4 days off after I work out and do what little chores I have.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options

So much this!!

I am 35 female 5' 4" SW 204 GW135. Current weight 193. I literally sit on the couch all day long on my 4 days off after I work out and do what little chores I have.

I would be exhausted too after all you do. Sitting on the couch is the problem.
  • jefamer2017
    Options

So much this!!

I don't feel tired though. I am so bored. I am off during the week why everyone else is working. That's why I just sit around. I am exhausted after work and generally pass out right after. During the week I have energy to spare but nothing to do.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

So much this!!

I don't feel tired though. I am so bored. I am off during the week why everyone else is working. That's why I just sit around. I am exhausted after work and generally pass out right after. During the week I have energy to spare but nothing to do.

Then Biking/walking/running might be a good solution if you don't need/want another part time light duty job.

Ingress/Pokémon Go/another AR game might give you something to do and a sense of purpose with your "spare time" activities.

If your finances permit, you could also do school part time, or volunteer with an organization in line with your personal interests.
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    In that case, get a bike because they are fun!

Question. How long have you been at this exercise thing?
  • jefamer2017
    Options
    In that case, get a bike because they are fun!

Question. How long have you been at this exercise thing?

This time just about 4 weeks. This is my 3rd time in 5 years. I hope I can keep it up this time.
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    What happened the last two times?
  • jefamer2017
    Options

So much this!!

Then Biking/walking/running might be a good solution if you don't need/want another part time light duty job.

Ingress/Pokémon Go/another AR game might give you something to do and a sense of purpose with your "spare time" activities.

If your finances permit, you could also do school part time, or volunteer with an organization in line with your personal interests.

Graduated college already. I do volunteer once a week but it's only about an hour.
  • jefamer2017
    Options
    What happened the last two times?

A few things happened. I was satisfied with my weight loss and quit paying attention to nutrition. I went on vacation and never got back to my healthy ways. Then I switched jobs. My job took us out to lunch everyday and I traveled a lot. I lived in hotels for nearly a year. So I went back to my old job which is my current job. When I started back at my job I weighed 218. I went down to 204 without changing my diet or exercising, just going to work. Well I saw my friend a few weeks ago she lost 50lbs or so and I realized I can too. I can't and won't give up this time.
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    Good to know. Some people go crazy at the beginning with a ton of exercise and then burnout because it is no longer fun. As long as you enjoy it, keep going.

Tracking your calories is more important though. Keep that in mind. Sometimes injuries occur and you are still eating like before. Weight loss stops or goes up.
  • jefamer2017
    Options
    Good to know. Some people go crazy at the beginning with a ton of exercise and then burnout because it is no longer fun. As long as you enjoy it, keep going.

Tracking your calories is more important though. Keep that in mind. Sometimes injuries occur and you are still eating like before. Weight loss stops or goes up.

I track now and pay attention to nutrients and macros. Things I never paid attention to before. I just did CICO before and not overall nutrition. I am trying to have a well balanced diet. Some days are better than others of course but it has been averaging out each week. I even bought a food scale and weight all my meat and most of my vegetables. I don't bother weighing lettuce and a few other green vegetables. I log everything into MFP.
  • jefamer2017
    Options
    The only thing I really need to work on is water intake. I like water but for some reason I just don't remember to drink. A good day I'll get 60oz but some days less than 40.
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    We all have bad days but it evens out. Week by week, if you are in a deficit, you’ll be golden.

I don’t weigh most foods anymore, I have a good idea of calorie content.

Do you weigh grains, pasta and fruits? Account for cooking fats?
  • jefamer2017
    Options
    We all have bad days but it evens out. Week by week, if you are in a deficit, you’ll be golden.

I don’t weigh most foods anymore, I have a good idea of calorie content.

Do you weigh grains, pasta and fruits? Account for cooking fats?

I haven't been eating grains or pasta. I typically don't weigh fruit unless it's something like grapes. I usually just log one large orange or kiwi fruit. I don't use any fats when cooking. I usually use a non stick pan or I bake, broil, or grill.
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    Okie dokie
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    My concern is more of a long-term one: very physical labor/work can eventually wear down your body. You're young, so you have a lot of resiliency. But that will fade, and physical issues like back pain, joint issues, and injuries can take a toll. It can become crippling.

For this reason, I'd suggest not so much aerobic and strength workouts (of which you have plenty) but include some flexibility, such as yoga, dance, and the like. It helps prevent injury and keep your muscles supple so you can continue doing a lot of physical activity.