Chiropractic care

Options

Replies

• YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised by all the people who will go to see a chiro on a recommendation, but won't take the time to find a trained D.O to do manipulations.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Grimmerick wrote: »
    Lean59man wrote: »
    Chiropractic is non-science hokum.

Do some research on the origins of chiropractic. It's total nonsense.

Show us some research, I'm willing to read it.

Google is your friend.
  • sportychic87
    sportychic87 Posts: 214 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I have to agree with this ^. Logically, a chiropractor should only claim to help relieve back to neck pain or joint pain IMO. But to state that they can diagnose adrenal issues or cure breathing problems (such as asthma) seems too much. That’s what internal medicine is for, and diagnostic tests, breathing tests for asthma (lung function) etc. I also find a chiropractor claiming that they can fix a rotated spine dubious, it’s a very strong bone structure.
    Does anyone know of any good recent medical articles that have been peer reviewed? I’ve looked everywhere and can’t find any...
    Also, still in pain 29 hours later :(
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    jenready wrote: »
    I see a chiropractor on a monthly basis and have for a little over a year. Years ago I never would have imagined seeing one but once I did, I noticed a significant difference in my migraines. The chiropractor who I see does not do much of the traditional 'cracking' or 'popping' that I think most people think of but he focuses on the muscles that are tight and are pulling areas out of alignment. I may lay on a massage table to being the visit with rollers that wave up and down my back to help loosen me up. He then uses more holds and stretches than anything to help loosen my back, neck and head up.

Does he give you any exercises to do on your own? If not, you are just an annunity.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »
    I work in healthcare and so VERY skeptical about chiros. Then I did something to my back. Muscle relaxers weren't helping, I was in too much pain to do the exercises the doc gave me, I was sleeping in a chair because it was too painful to get in and out of bed. My best friend kept telling me to go to her chiro, and I was desperate enough to do it. I kept telling myself that if tries to do x rays, or sell me vitamins, or touch my neck, I'm out of there.

He did an exam very similar to the ortho's, then had me lay on my stomach with a heating pad for about 15 minutes. He came in, put me in some weird position, and did this horrible wrenching movement to my spine. And there was an immediate improvement in my back. I didn't get up and do cartwheels, but I could do things I couldn't do before. He showed me some exercises to do (some were the same as the ortho's) and put me on an icing schedule. Said if I hadn't seen improvement in a week to come back, otherwise I was done. As it turns out, I was done.

So there are some that are "legit," but the practice is full of scam artists and woo.

This is what I hear all the time: Chiropractors making their patients lay on a heating pad for an extended period of time. WTH for??? Why do they need a heating pad to loosen the patient up? If they were any good, they would be able to treat their patient cold.
  • mabelgrex
    mabelgrex Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    would never see one,
    have seen them advertising for parents to take their kids there for persistent ear infections!!!
  • sportychic87
    sportychic87 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I work in healthcare and so VERY skeptical about chiros. Then I did something to my back. Muscle relaxers weren't helping, I was in too much pain to do the exercises the doc gave me, I was sleeping in a chair because it was too painful to get in and out of bed. My best friend kept telling me to go to her chiro, and I was desperate enough to do it. I kept telling myself that if tries to do x rays, or sell me vitamins, or touch my neck, I'm out of there.

He did an exam very similar to the ortho's, then had me lay on my stomach with a heating pad for about 15 minutes. He came in, put me in some weird position, and did this horrible wrenching movement to my spine. And there was an immediate improvement in my back. I didn't get up and do cartwheels, but I could do things I couldn't do before. He showed me some exercises to do (some were the same as the ortho's) and put me on an icing schedule. Said if I hadn't seen improvement in a week to come back, otherwise I was done. As it turns out, I was done.

So there are some that are "legit," but the practice is full of scam artists and woo.

This is what I hear all the time: Chiropractors making their patients lay on a heating pad for an extended period of time. WTH for??? Why do they need a heating pad to loosen the patient up? If they were any good, they would be able to treat their patient cold.

The chiropractor I went to had me chill out on a massage table (like a mechanical one) for two minutes. Then talked to me for 4 minutes about X-rays and then the actual adjustment was literally like 8 minutes. That was it. All for an affordable cost of only $140. So basically for an 8 minute treatment $140.
    I can’t even imagine what they make in an hour....definitely significantly more than a physical therapist or MD or massage therapist.

In terms of efficacy, it probably does help some people (all the more to you if it does) but I’m about go to beg SO for a back rub because I know that will undo what they did. {Shrug}
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options

If the problem is a muscle spasm, I presume they're trying to lessen the possibility of muscle tear if they manipulate you "cold."
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people who swear by them. My parents went frequently when my siblings & I were growing up. About 6 months after my daughter was born, I had terrible lower back pain. So bad I could hardly walk. I went to a chiropractor a few times, with no relief at all. Quit the treatments and my pain went away eventually. That was over 30 years ago. Have not been to one since. They are not for me.
  • Johnd2000
    Johnd2000 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    When I last looked for evidence, the only positive I could find was that it was about as effective as physio (ie not very) for patients with mild lower back pain. For anything else, it’s complete woo and, as others have said, neck manipulation can be extremely dangerous.
  • JoAnna4731
    JoAnna4731 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    My good friend’s mother was a licensed chiropractor for years in the 80s until she left the profession to pursue a career in massage therapy, which, at the time, was a profession in its infancy. I was lucky enough to get regular massages from her (she was amazing - ruined me for life because I haven’t found anyone as good as her in 25 years lol). She always told me to stay away from chiropractors - she stopped the profession because she began to doubt the science and whether it truly was beneficial, and through her own observations, massage actually accomplished the relief she had for intended to provide for her patients.

I have also been friends with chiropractors, and as another poster said, most of what they do is the same techniques that my physical therapist uses. Somehow, I trust my PT more.
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I believe in Chiropractic adjustments, my 1st time was when I threw my back out lifting a very heavy door, 4 visits later, I was pain free. For the past 10 (ish) years, I've gone to get my neck adj. every 3 months, I always knew I was out of adj. when I'd start getting headaches, I'd get an adj, and headaches would be gone.
    I will agree it does depend on the Chiropractor, I'd go see someone else if my regular one was off and I didn't get the same relief.
  • BlissfulBoots
    BlissfulBoots Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others who said that there are good and bad within the profession. I struggled with foot pain for years (Achilles issues, plantar fascitis, flat feet). I brought it up to all of my doctors, I went to an ortho none of them were able to offer me anything to relieve the pain. A friend referred me to a chiropractor who does a combination of chiropractic, physical therapy and massage. Within in 3 visits I was pain free. He wasn't a miracle worker, but in addition to treating me at the office, he actually showed me stretches and exercises to do at home that would be beneficial.
  • ITUSGirl51
    ITUSGirl51 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have gone to a good chiro for years. My husband went originally for numbness in his arm and leg. She fixed him. No messages or foot rubs (I wish). She has also helped with severe seratic pain in the lower back and legs. He is always in pain from back issues and she is able to realign the spine and he feels better for a few weeks. Sitting at a desk all day doesn’t do good things to your spine. It’s not a placebo affect. Our insurance pays for it. She is also a nurse practitioner with medical background and can prescribe medicine if needed. Our chiro has horror stories of the bad ones.