Options
12346»

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    Thank you for this thread, OP, though it hasn't helped me one bit, lol.

Decades ago, I went to a chiro for a pinched nerve, had a pleasant, soothing experience that solved the problem, and went about my life.

The last few years, I've been having increasing pain & problems with my back and I went to a chiro last week that was recommended by a friend and who had been voted "best chiro" in our area several years. It was painful, scary, and unnerving for me. I left in tears, but unsure if the issue was the treatment or just me & my perception. The chiro had warned me it would be rough, supposedly because my nerves would have heightened sensitivity from the chronic pain, but also implied I was being a baby (I've had 2 natural childbirths- I don't really consider myself a baby). I haven't been able to decide if I should give it another chance, or pursue a lengthy, expensive medical diagnosis/treatment. Making the choice even more difficult, I suspect a large part of the problem is the extra weight I'm still carrying, but the pain is making it harder to be active and making me depressed & seeking comfort in food. *sigh*

So I did a search here for other peoples' experiences with chiropractic care & found this thread... and now I really don't have a clue what to think :/

It's true about chronic pain. I've had pain management doctors and nurses tell me that having chronic pain changes our nerves after a while which makes even minor pain feel more painful basically everything hurts more. I can't explain it very well but that has been my experience. I just assumed that my ain tolerance was going down but no everything is more painful

This is almost word for word what he told me. He illustrated it by saying if you walked around for a long time with a tack in your shoe, and every time you took a step it poked you, even when the tack is removed, your brain would likely still interpret the pressure of a step as painful. That makes sense to me, but didn't make the experience more tolerable :(

Of course not. And the fact he called you a baby is inexcusable.
  • iWishMyNameWasRebel
    iWishMyNameWasRebel Posts: 174 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    There are a number of things legitimate chiropractors can definitely help with, but they cannot help with everything by any means. You get into problems when the chiros start making wild claims and start doing more than simple adjustments. Chiropractic makes sense to me, in its true form. Most bones in your body can slip out of place and cause major problems, but somehow the vertebrae in your spine are never going to wedge out of place a little and cause pain and mobility problems? C'mon now, that doesn't seem logical. I'm guessing no one believes in massage therapy either? I think chiro and massage go hand in hand, and have experienced quite a lot of relief from both. Oh, and I've also had a bad chiropractor try to help me, and it was terrible. He seemed off to begin with and my desperation to feel better made me dumb and let him have a go anyway. Stupid of me. Also had a bad masseuse put me in misery, and not the good kind. I didn't know she sucked until the session was well under way. Not sure how it could be the placebo effect when you experience both good results and bad. Just avoid the quacky ones who claim they can cure everything. But that goes for literally any profession, LOL! Also, it's good idea to first talk to your medical doctor if you have something going on that you don't really know what it is causing the pain. Just because you have pain in your back does not mean it's something a chiropractor (or massage therapist) can or should touch.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this thread, OP, though it hasn't helped me one bit, lol.

Decades ago, I went to a chiro for a pinched nerve, had a pleasant, soothing experience that solved the problem, and went about my life.

The last few years, I've been having increasing pain & problems with my back and I went to a chiro last week that was recommended by a friend and who had been voted "best chiro" in our area several years. It was painful, scary, and unnerving for me. I left in tears, but unsure if the issue was the treatment or just me & my perception. The chiro had warned me it would be rough, supposedly because my nerves would have heightened sensitivity from the chronic pain, but also implied I was being a baby (I've had 2 natural childbirths- I don't really consider myself a baby). I haven't been able to decide if I should give it another chance, or pursue a lengthy, expensive medical diagnosis/treatment. Making the choice even more difficult, I suspect a large part of the problem is the extra weight I'm still carrying, but the pain is making it harder to be active and making me depressed & seeking comfort in food. *sigh*

So I did a search here for other peoples' experiences with chiropractic care & found this thread... and now I really don't have a clue what to think :/

It's true about chronic pain. I've had pain management doctors and nurses tell me that having chronic pain changes our nerves after a while which makes even minor pain feel more painful basically everything hurts more. I can't explain it very well but that has been my experience. I just assumed that my ain tolerance was going down but no everything is more painful

This is almost word for word what he told me. He illustrated it by saying if you walked around for a long time with a tack in your shoe, and every time you took a step it poked you, even when the tack is removed, your brain would likely still interpret the pressure of a step as painful. That makes sense to me, but didn't make the experience more tolerable :(

Of course not. And the fact he called you a baby is inexcusable.

*implied* Again, my perception based on his word choice & tone, and I admit I could be wrong- I was more than a little rattled at the time :(