Gained 9lbs in a few hours

Options

Replies

• jasondjulian
    jasondjulian Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't weigh yourself at night. Food and liquid have weight. Wait until the morning

Agree, I consistently weigh 2-2.5lbs more in the evening, a few hours after dinner, before bed, than I do in the morning, post first-pee.
  • maryjane159
    maryjane159 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    @Tiny_Dancer_in_Pink sorry for not responding sooner. The meal that I eat was chicken. I’ve always noticed that whenever I eat chicken I bloat a lot and tend to get stomach ache after it but I’ve always just coped with it because it’s my favourite food. Maybe I gained the the 9lbs because chicken is a heavier food Im not too sure.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Are you still 9 pounds heavier?
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    @Tiny_Dancer_in_Pink sorry for not responding sooner. The meal that I eat was chicken. I’ve always noticed that whenever I eat chicken I bloat a lot and tend to get stomach ache after it but I’ve always just coped with it because it’s my favourite food. Maybe I gained the the 9lbs because chicken is a heavier food Im not too sure.

Chicken is not a "heavier" food. 200g of chicken weighs the same as 200g of anything else: 200g.

I think you already got good answers above.
  • maryjane159
    Options
    @Tiny_Dancer_in_Pink no I’ve gained more than that now every day since I came off my diet I have been gaining weight like 2lbs and sometimes more a day
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    @Tiny_Dancer_in_Pink no I’ve gained more than that now every day since I came off my diet I have been gaining weight like 2lbs and sometimes more a day

That would be something like 25 lbs in a week (including the initial 9)... are you sure about that? :(

How many calories are you currently eating?
  • maryjane159
    Options
    @try2again I’m not sure exactly but it’s deffo not to much for me to be gaining weight all the time. I gain weight and my stomach goes huge I literally look months pregnant from bloat whenever I eat
  • try2again
    Options
    @try2again I’m not sure exactly but it’s deffo not to much for me to be gaining weight all the time. I gain weight and my stomach goes huge I literally look months pregnant from bloat whenever I eat

Have you scheduled an appointment with your doctor?
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Yes, see your doctor - might be some kind of food intolerance causing issues, or something more serious, but only a doctor can answer that.

It might just be water retention, but that's a lot of water.

Also, I guess the obvious question at this point needs to be, are you sure you're NOT pregnant?

• L1zardQueen
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    Yes, see your doctor - might be some kind of food intolerance causing issues, or something more serious, but only a doctor can answer that.

Also, I guess the obvious question at this point needs to be, are you sure you're NOT pregnant?

Hello! Yes, this! Good call
  • L1zardQueen
    Options

I still remember the young lady who was told by her Naturopath that she had a parasite - turned out to be the kind of "parasite" that lives with you for about 18 years or so...

Yep, remember her.
  • try2again
    Options

Good question to ask, but I don't think even pregnancy could explain 23 lbs in a week!

Curious that she seems disinterested in the suggestions to see her doctor. If it were me, I'd be banging down the door.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I still remember the young lady who was told by her Naturopath that she had a parasite - turned out to be the kind of "parasite" that lives with you for about 18 years or so...

Yep, remember her.

Classic MFP :bigsmile:
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

How can you not be sure if you're weighing yourself? Does the scale show you're gaining weight, or not? This whole thing is starting to sound rather strange.

If you're gaining 2 pounds every day on a continuous basis, you have serious medical issues going on - far beyond what any anonymous person on an internet forum can help you with.
  • try2again
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

How can you not be sure if you're weighing yourself?

I think she meant she's not sure how many calories she's eating. :)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »

How can you not be sure if you're weighing yourself?

I think she meant she's not sure how many calories she's eating. :)

I wasn't really clear on which part of your post she was responding to.

Either way, to be gaining 2 pounds a day, her intake would have to be around 7500-8000 calories per day - which I guess would explain both the weight gain and why she gets so bloated after every meal. Otherwise, none of it makes any sense.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options

If you're not sure how many calories you're actually consuming, then you also can't be sure that it's not enough to gain weight. People in general are notoriously bad at estimating their intake.

That said, if you really are gaining that much weight that fast, and it's not just an error on your scale or inconsistent weighing (have you also taken measurements?), then you really should see your doctor as soon as possible to rule out anything serious. You'd have to be overeating by a considerable amount to be gaining so much.