Frozen entrees: yes or no?

Options
In a busy world of kids, work, socializing...we could all use a little convenience; especially for those who are working extra hard to remain fit.

What are your views on microwavable meals?

I use them as a good base for my weight loss strategy since they are pre-packaged, single-serving, and provide all nutritional information right on the package. However, they are high in sodium and preservatives!

Fresh food is ideal. It's all of your basic needs that can be cooked, seasoned, and constructed to your specific taste. It tastes better, too; but, cooking all your own food can be time consuming. Also, it's hard to track every serving of every ingredient of said meal.

Thoughts?

Replies

• dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I see nothing wrong with using them but dependency on them regularly...not so much. I always keep a few of my faves on hand for when I feel the need to. Do be aware of salt content of frozen entrees!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I seldom buy whole convenience meals. But tossing some Gardein or sliced up veggie dogs into a stir-fry or burrito? I do that a few times a week. It's a help.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Frozen meals are totally fine as long as they fill you up. Sometimes I’ll buy frozen meat from Trader Joe’s and pair it with a big serving of veggies for an easy meal. Totally microwaveable meals don’t work as well for us because often times they are more expensive and my kids are still hungry afterwards. We are big fans of tacos and other things you can throw together last minute.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    To me they aren't very filling for the number of calories, and they tend to be high in carbs and low in protein. I'd rather do a quick stir fry and save some leftovers.

I do like steamer bags of veg though.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a medical condition requiring you to limit or avoid certain things then these things are not a problem. It is preference.
    My preference is less but not zero convenience foods.
    I don't think frozen meals or convenience foods generally taste as good but some are fine. I like to cook and prepare meals from home every day.. I don't find logging homemade foods difficult. I can eat dinner leftovers for lunches instead of frozen foods. I don't own a microwave so have to heat things on the stove or in the oven anyway.
    I use some convenience foods like jarred spaghetti sauce, dry pasta, canned soups, frozen burritos, frozen pizza, granola bars.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I eat them if I'm not cutting carbs low. I need to basically put any frozen meal over a bag of spinach or veg. Not enough food otherwise.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    The main thing is that you don't know how many calories you're really eating, as they're allowed by law to be 20% calories off per serving (on top of weight discrepancies in the package itself). So you could be eating 30-35% extra calories without knowing it... which can get a big deal if you're eating packaged food a lot.

Otherwise, as long as you don't have medical conditions that can be affected by high sodium, they're fine. I have one once in a while but I haven't found any that I loved enough to spend my calories on in months. I'd rather cook and make extra and have leftovers than a frozen meal.