How to Stop Eating Sugar

Options
candylilacs
candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
edited March 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
https://nytimes.com/guides/smarterliving/how-to-stop-eating-sugar

I saw "That Sugar Movie" last night!

Previously, it's all I had talked about with my husband, the chance to use less sugar.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    To co-workers?
  • candylilacs
    Options
    I have a major commercially successful cereal everyday, what would be my A1C? I can't have it, and know I can't eat Chobani flips.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Eh, unless someone I trust tells me it's interesting, I'm not bothering.

I currently love smoothies for breakfast, and mine has sugar from zucchini or winter squash, kale or spinach or both, avocado, and strawberries, most commonly. Love it.

I don't usually consume added sugar with meals. If I have sugar I generally am choosing to have some, as with the banana spring roll with vegan ice cream I made the other day.

The exception is some dry rubs and condiments (hot sauces, often) may have a bit of sugar, not enough to bother, and some breads have them (I don't eat much bread since it's usually not worth the calories, but I had some pita today).

The percentage of sugar people consume from savory items is actually quite low, I think it's a made up issue. How you cut back on sugar if you consume too much is look at your diary, see where it's coming from, and eat less of those things.

Most of my sugar is from fruit (some from veg) and I'm perfectly happy with that, and not worried about sugar. The current obsession with sugar is silly.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I eat 400grams of carbs a day, yes lots of fiber, but I test my own a1c. 5.2. That's from some One who had a fasting bs of 339 once and an a1c on an office visit of 6.3. The home test kit I use are actually proven to test higher than lab drawn blood. Average fasting b.s. of 85 at this time. My sugar intake , according mfp, is 130gms a day. Now that shows all of the "sugar" in my quinoa and broccoli. Will this change? Who knows. I do limit my fats to 80gms a day and protein to nearly 200.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Sugar is not that bad. I am not saying you should have a 100% diet with stuff filled with sugar, but like everything else, in moderation.
  • candylilacs
    Options
    I have A1C in December 2017 at 7.0. That's in diabetes range.

Critical reasoning forbids me to take what he's saying at face value (That Sugar Film) but at least the New York Times is taking the reins. Forgive me, but it's at least having a look-see.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Have you had any dietary training yet, @candylilacs ? Do you have a glucometer yet? My diabetes is in remission from significant weight loss but I had it for a decade and took all the training. Testing my blood sugar after various meals were a real eye opener.

You’d be surprised how various carbs (not just sugar) affect your blood sugar.

Then have a meal eating the same carb with a little protein and fat and see the difference.

My diabetic go to cereals all have fiber and no added sugar. They include oatmeal, Cheerios, and shredded wheat. I raged all over Special K because of its abysmal fiber count. After all that menu cruising, I routinely eat my oatmeal with raisins (sugar) and Yogurt.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I read part of the way into it and decided that it was not going to help me much at all. I don't use grain-based breakfasts, don't drink sugary drinks, and indulge in desserts only occasionally. There is a valid point in the NYT using its platform to counter the long and successful campaign of the sugar industry to blame fat. Unfortunately, the proof is in the scholarly studies and there's no popular way to present it that we can't ridicule.