How to Stop Eating Sugar

Options

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Dietary training? Are you Canadian?

Here in America, the doctors lecture you (aside from, "I heard this all before," and they'll be interrupting you, "You haven't heard this before because I haven't said it yet"). Yes, I've had a registered dietician.

I look around at all this failed attempts at dieting. And that's when it hit me....because of sugar. So, I don't go to sweets -- but if do have them, I need to have them.

You need to find a better doctor. There are RDS that specialize in diabetes as well as Diabetic counselors or coaches available through some insurance providers. Have you checked out diabetes.org ?
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 3,075 Member
    Options
    As a diabetic, I actually found this to be a good, helpful article. I almost didn't read it after reading all the comments here first, but I'm glad I did. :)
  • kristingjertsen
    kristingjertsen Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    When I crave something sweet, I eat fruit and no sugar added yogurt with stevia. I try to focus on savory flavors instead of sweet in my cooking. I make my own salad dressings without adding sugar (again, focusing on savory). I use a 1/2 tsp of maple syrup on oatmeal (also 1 tsp earth balance, cinnamon, ginger and a tbsp of walnuts or pecans to pump up the flavor) and stevia in my coffee along with some cinnamon or cocoa powder. If I am really wanting something sweet, I go to a restaurant and eat the tastiest dessert that I can find (self limiting--not like baking a dozen chocolate chip cookies or buying a quart of ice cream and then being tempted to binge at home). Sugar isn't a villain, you just have to find a way to manage its use so you can keep your blood sugar steady.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is the most dangerous meal of the day!

And here I was thinking that as a first world resident with great access to food and a relatively reliable food safety system, I had it made.

The full sentence was: "Breakfast is the most dangerous meal of the day for sugar." Okay so "dangerous" might be overkill for most people, but In terms of a meal, I would have to agree that breakfast often contains the most sugar. Pancakes with syrup, oatmeal with brown sugar, and sweet cereal used to be typical breakfasts for me. I have a savoury breakfast now, usually an egg with veggies of some kind and toast. If you factor in dessert, then perhaps supper competes. Maybe.

Which leads me to the main part of my disagreement with the article. I don't want to spend my time reading every ingredient list and nutrient label searching for hidden sugar. I DO want to avoid desserts and sweet snacks. I'm not necessarily saying it's bad advice, just opposite to the approach that works for me.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't carefully search for hidden sugar, and I would agree that's not all that significant when it comes to total sugar (the culprits are usually the obvious things, like desserts and sugary cereal and drinks and perhaps flavored yogurt), but I do obsessively read the label on anything I buy that I haven't before. Always have, even before I cared about calories, so maybe that's why I find the idea of hidden sugar so absurd.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Do carrots have hidden sugar?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Excuse me, but don't you taste when something is sweet? I find it absurd that one would have to scour labels for "hidden sugar". When something is sweet or too sweet, I just limit it--because calories.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Excuse me, but don't you taste when something is sweet? I find it absurd that one would have to scour labels for "hidden sugar". When something is sweet or too sweet, I just limit it--because calories.

I've seen people be surprised that condiments like BBQ sauce have so much sugar. I don't see how someone could miss it, but I do think some people don't "expect" sugar in a savory item so it's like their taste buds don't even recognize that it is there (or their taste buds recognize it, but it doesn't quite translate intellectually).
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Re breakfast being dangerous, I suspect janejellyroll's point is that that's absurd and overwrought language to use and that "dangerous" is the wrong word. I'd agree that it's more common to have lots of sugar at breakfast vs. lunch or dinner (other than desserts), but "dangerous" is the wrong word, and it's not like people who have a donut for breakfast, or even sugary cereal or pancakes or French toast with powdered sugar and syrup or cinnamon toast don't know they are consuming lots of sugar. People who try to pretend this is somehow a surprise or that we need special instructions on how to reduce sugar mystify me. It's basic common sense.

That was exactly my point, thank you. I think it's ridiculously overwrought to describe breakfast as "dangerous," although if someone does feel that the food they are choosing for breakfast is contributing to an unhealthy weight or other health issues, that is something they should probably address. But to single out sugar in a single meal without mentioning portion size, overall calorie consumption for the day, and intake of sufficient vitamins and fiber seems curiously short-sighted to me.

You can easily be overweight or have an unhealthy diet without ever eating breakfast or while having mostly savory breakfasts. You can maintain a healthy weight or have a healthy diet while eating sweet things as part of breakfast. If someone wants sweet oatmeal, toast with jam, or sugar in their coffee for breakfast and it's part of a diet that is meeting their nutritional needs and providing the right amount of energy, I'm not convinced it is at all dangerous.

(Full disclosure: I had a raspberry scone for breakfast so my enjoyment of the occasional sweet breakfast is a factor here).

yep I became overweight and I dont eat breakfast.never have even as a kid.I ate too much the rest of the day which was the reason i became fat.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

I've seen people be surprised that condiments like BBQ sauce have so much sugar. I don't see how someone could miss it, but I do think some people don't "expect" sugar in a savory item so it's like their taste buds don't even recognize that it is there (or their taste buds recognize it, but it doesn't quite translate intellectually).

But then again it's been discussed so many times that most sauces are high calorie and should be limited. I do check the calorie content--not the sugar content on items.