Restarting my Journey

Options

Replies

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Today is a new day for me. I'm trying to being nice and taking a friend to the doctor. He doesn't like to drive. When I'm older I hope somebody will do this for me.
    I haven't even eaten breakfast and it's almost 11:00. Am I doing intermittent fasting since I'm not eating? Maybe that's what I should do. Do they only eat one meal a day? How many calories do I you consume in that meal?
    Any answers would be appreciated.

Intermittent fasting is just limiting the daily window in which you eat. So commonly, people will "fast" 16 hours (basically skip breakfast) and eat all of their calories for the day in the other 8 hours. You can just eat one meal, if that's the way you like to eat, but I think most probably divide up their calories for the day throughout the 8 hour window. It's helpful for people who don't much care for breakfast or that like to have more calories to use later in the day.
  • SuzyCabSF
    SuzyCabSF Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I'm starting back up too (lost 65 lbs with MFP and then gained it after 1.5 years) and one of the contributors to my success last time was a supportive team. Feel free to add me, looking for supportive friends.
  • Pagirl570
    Pagirl570 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I went through a weight loss program at my chiropractors office and cut carbs,drank alkaline water. I reached my goal after 10 months,then I tried to maintain it by myself which didn't go so well.
    I returned to the program today, 2 shakes, one meal. I'm taking metobolic drops, cleanse and the alkaline water.
    The shakes keep me Full and the drops keep me from the cravings.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,730 Member
    Options
    Yesterday started out with me doing great sticking to my meal plan.
    Then life happens my Millennium child has a meltdown calls and I start to spiral down the rabbit hole.
    I needed carbs warm, tasty, buttery cinnamon rolls filled that spot.
    I'm an emotional eater. How do I change that? I tried exercising, that doesn't work. I tried hobbies and it doesn't work.
    Does anybody have any ideas that would work?
    I'm willing to try anything....

I understand the emotional eating, I have regained the 40 pounds plus another 20 I had lost previously due to depression, life events a whole bunch of crap. In September I was fired for the first time in my life and I couldn't afford my anti-depressants anymore. I decided I needed to change my outlook, I started trying to find the positive in something everyday. I read a book called the Gratitude Diaries, it has helped me quit emotionally eating. I started back on MFP on February 1st and joined a gym last week. I am so happy to say that I'm not eating emotionally anymore, have lost a whopping 2 pounds and am no longer on anti-depressants. Good Luck!
  • JoenDeb1958
    JoenDeb1958 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Yesterday started out with me doing great sticking to my meal plan.
    Then life happens my Millennium child has a meltdown calls and I start to spiral down the rabbit hole.
    I needed carbs warm, tasty, buttery cinnamon rolls filled that spot.
    I'm an emotional eater. How do I change that? I tried exercising, that doesn't work. I tried hobbies and it doesn't work.
    Does anybody have any ideas that would work?
    I'm willing to try anything....

I understand the emotional eating, I have regained the 40 pounds plus another 20 I had lost previously due to depression, life events a whole bunch of crap. In September I was fired for the first time in my life and I couldn't afford my anti-depressants anymore. I decided I needed to change my outlook, I started trying to find the positive in something everyday. I read a book called the Gratitude Diaries, it has helped me quit emotionally eating. I started back on MFP on February 1st and joined a gym last week. I am so happy to say that I'm not eating emotionally anymore, have lost a whopping 2 pounds and am no longer on anti-depressants. Good Luck!

Awesome sauce!
    I see so many people who have slipped up and yet they have regained their focus, and they like you are losing weight and working out.
    I have the most positive out in look, volunteer, play it forward and all that.
    I think it's that after all these years I am trully an empty nester.
    Here in my house (7 norms, 3 ba) just me and my chihuahua.
    I need to mourn it I think and let go. My baby done grown. It's time for me to bloom....
    Thank you for your words of wisdom.
  • JoenDeb1958
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    Today is a new day for me. I'm trying to being nice and taking a friend to the doctor. He doesn't like to drive. When I'm older I hope somebody will do this for me.
    I haven't even eaten breakfast and it's almost 11:00. Am I doing intermittent fasting since I'm not eating? Maybe that's what I should do. Do they only eat one meal a day? How many calories do I you consume in that meal?

Intermittent fasting is just limiting the daily window in which you eat. So commonly, people will "fast" 16 hours (basically skip breakfast) and eat all of their calories for the day in the other 8 hours. You can just eat one meal, if that's the way you like to eat, but I think most probably divide up their calories for the day throughout the 8 hour window. It's helpful for people who don't much care for breakfast or that like to have more calories to use later in the day.

Have u tried It? Is it good to do?
  • JoenDeb1958
    Options
    Pagirl570 wrote: »
    I went through a weight loss program at my chiropractors office and cut carbs,drank alkaline water. I reached my goal after 10 months,then I tried to maintain it by myself which didn't go so well.
    I returned to the program today, 2 shakes, one meal. I'm taking metobolic drops, cleanse and the alkaline water.

It's that intermittent fasting?
    Where are you located that the chiropractor offers a weight loss program?
  • JoenDeb1958
    Options
    SuzyCabSF wrote: »
    Hello everyone! I'm starting back up too (lost 65 lbs with MFP and then gained it after 1.5 years) and one of the contributors to my success last time was a supportive team. Feel free to add me, looking for supportive friends.

Of course I will add you and I hope everyone else will too.
    I thank you for wanting to join me in my journey.
  • try2again
    Options

Have u tried It? Is it good to do?

I've played with it a little, but most days I need something in the morning. It's good to do if it works with your natural eating habits and helps you stay within your calorie allowance. There's nothing magical about it that results in weight loss... it's just another tool to help a person meet their calorie goals.

Have you set up your profile and MFP and gotten your calorie allowance? Then just stay within that number and eat however you like, being mindful of what keeps you satisfied the longest. No shakes, drops, or cleanses required! Particularly for those of us who struggle with depression, it helps to keep the weight loss process as easy and pleasant as possible.
  • Mominajourney
    Mominajourney Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Add me!! I could use friends for accountability. I am restarting but forget soo often by the end of the day to track dinner etc. I have a 1st goal of losing 33 lbs
  • JoenDeb1958
    Options
    Add me!! I could use friends for accountability. I am restarting but forget soo often by the end of the day to track dinner etc. I have a 1st goal of losing 33 lbs

Will add you....
  • Pagirl570
    Pagirl570 Posts: 4 Member
    Options

The shakes are from a company called pure vitality and I buy them at the chiros office along with the drops.
    I'm in Pa.
  • JoenDeb1958
    Options

The shakes are from a company called pure vitality and I buy them at the chiros office along with the drops.
    I'm in Pa.

I will look on internet to see if I can find they.
    Thanks for info. I live in Alabama and my chiropractor doesn't offer that.
  • try2again
    Options

I'm in Pa.

I will look on internet to see if I can find they.
    Thanks for info. I live in Alabama and my chiropractor doesn't offer that.

And they shouldn't. Really... don't do that. At best, weight loss shakes may provide some extra nutrition, but you are better off saving your money & having actual food. Don't do anything in the weight loss phase that you don't want to be doing for the rest of your life. :)

How did you lose weight before, @JoenDeb1958 ?
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I only have 10 lbs to deal with but I am having serious trouble getting myself under control and restarting. I lost the 10-12 lbs over the fall. The holiday came, the bad weather came, my eating went into overdrive. It seems the more I eat the hungrier I am. Tried to start it today. Had 2 eggs with some turkey sausage at 8:30AM. By 11:15 my stomach was actually growling and I felt "starving." That's not right. That's how I know I'm deep in my carb addiction. I don't think I was that hungry when I was doing 1500 calories a day.

Uuugghh...but I can't get off this binge I'm on.

Sorry, no help!! Just know you're not alone.
  • JoenDeb1958
    Options
    I talk to my bestie in California and we've decided to.
    I have high blood, type 2 diabetes, and osteoarthritis.
    We are set for next Thursday to start our life plan.
    Because we both have knee problems we are going to get the sitting exercises off YouTube. We will call each other and workout twice daily. I am going to buy Our meal plan will be what ever works for ourselves.
    We will note no, sugars, and weight daily. I am offer this to all of you. I want to lose 50lbs in 7 months.
    I know I can do it, and I know my bff can to.....
  • try2again
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Please know I'm not trying to be a pain! I originally bookmarked this thread because I could relate to the struggles of depression & regain, but have since seen some comments that lead me to think you & others have some mistaken ideas that could hinder your weight loss/maintenance journey. I'll make a couple more points and then leave you alone! :)

First off, in regards to you last comment, is there a reason you plan on eliminating sugar (if I read that correctly)? Losing weight is the single biggest thing a person can do to improve the conditions you mention, but that doesn't require cutting out sugar. There are many on MFP who have eliminated type 2 diabetes by eating a balanced diet that includes occasional treats. And that can make a person's diet more sustainable in the long run (and thus lead to greater weight loss success), because you aren't depriving yourself of the things you love, becoming discouraged, and wanting to quit. Now, a person may find that many of their excess calories come from sugary treats (that would be me ;) ), in which case it would be an obvious place to look for calorie savings, but a person will lose weight when they stick to their calorie allowance, period, sugar or not. If sugary foods are particularly tempting to a person, it's perfectly reasonable not to keep them in the house, but telling yourself you *can't* have something can create a psychological burden.

You also may want to consider your goal. 50 lbs in 7 months is basically 2 lbs/week. A 2 lb/week goal is really only recommended for those who are 75+ lbs overweight, and even then it can present a challenge because it requires a 1000 calorie/day deficit. Again, going back to sustainability, comfort is important, especially for those of us who struggle with depression. It may be better to lose 1 lb/week over a longer period in comfort than 2 lbs/week in misery. A slower rate of loss also helps preserve a person's lean muscle mass. However, if you choose to be more aggressive, be aware that as you lose, your deficit shrinks, so weight loss slows as you get closer to goal.

Finally, I'll leave this here in case you haven't had an opportunity to see it before:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1:

You may also want to check out the other "most helpful posts" at the top of the "diet & weight loss" forum.

I'll be quiet now! Wish you the best :)
  • JoenDeb1958
    Options
    Please know I'm not trying to be a pain! I originally bookmarked this thread because I could relate to the struggles of depression & regain, but have since seen some comments that lead me to think you & others have some mistaken ideas that could hinder your weight loss/maintenance journey. I'll make a couple more points and then leave you alone! :)

First off, in regards to you last comment, is there a reason you plan on eliminating sugar (if I read that correctly)? Losing weight is the single biggest thing a person can do to improve the conditions you mention, but that doesn't require cutting out sugar. There are many on MFP who have eliminated type 2 diabetes by eating a balanced diet that includes occasional treats. And that can make a person's diet more sustainable in the long run (and thus lead to greater weight loss success), because you aren't depriving yourself of the things you love, becoming discouraged, and wanting to quit. Now, a person may find that many of their excess calories come from sugary treats (that would be me ;) ), in which case it would be an obvious place to look for calorie savings, but a person will lose weight when they stick to their calorie allowance, period, sugar or not. If sugary foods are particularly tempting to a person, it's perfectly reasonable not to keep them in the house, but telling yourself you *can't* have something can create a psychological burden.

You also may want to consider your goal. 50 lbs in 7 months is basically 2 lbs/week. A 2 lb/week goal is really only recommended for those who are 75+ lbs overweight, and even then it can present a challenge because it requires a 1000 calorie/day deficit. Again, going back to sustainability, comfort is important, especially for those of us who struggle with depression. It may be better to lose 1 lb/week over a longer period in comfort than 2 lbs/week in misery. A slower rate of loss also helps preserve a person's lean muscle mass. However, if you choose to be more aggressive, be aware that as you lose, your deficit shrinks, so weight loss slows as you get closer to goal.

Finally, I'll leave this here in case you haven't had an opportunity to see it before:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1:

You may also want to check out the other "most helpful posts" at the top of the "diet & weight loss" forum.

I didn't say I was eliminating sugar from my diet I said we were going to monitor our sugars.
    My BFF is a type 1 diabetic and I'm a type 2, we've known each other 28 years.
    We are both overweight, I'm 340 and I haven't asked her current weight.
    I can lose It because I've done it before with an M.D. and NAP overseeing me. It's not a heavy deficit due to the fact I am fat.
    When you are fat it tends to come off quicker and especially if I'm monitoring my sugars and making sure that I'm eating correctly.
    This isn't the first go-around on here for her and I but I feel that we both need to do this! We turn 60 this year and I know we can DO this because like I said we've done it before.
    I'm sorry to hear you are leaving. I wish you the best in your journey.
  • try2again
    edited March 2018
    Options

I didn't say I was eliminating sugar from my diet I said we were going to monitor our sugars.
    My BFF is a type 1 diabetic and I'm a type 2, we've known each other 28 years.
    We are both overweight, I'm 340 and I haven't asked her current weight.
    I can lose It because I've done it before with an M.D. and NAP overseeing me. It's not a heavy deficit due to the fact I am fat.
    When you are fat it tends to come off quicker and especially if I'm monitoring my sugars and making sure that I'm eating correctly.
    This isn't the first go-around on here for her and I but I feel that we both need to do this! We turn 60 this year and I know we can DO this because like I said we've done it before.
    I'm sorry to hear you are leaving. I wish you the best in your journey.

Ah... that clears up a lot! Your comment read "note no, sugars", and though I figured it was a typo, took it to mean "no sugars"... sorry! And you're right- at 340, you can support 2 lbs/week.

It's definitely a lifelong challenge to manage our weight with depression, so we have to hang in there! I hope you and the other posters enjoy lots of success on your journey :)
  • JoenDeb1958
    Options
    CMNVA wrote: »
    I only have 10 lbs to deal with but I am having serious trouble getting myself under control and restarting. I lost the 10-12 lbs over the fall. The holiday came, the bad weather came, my eating went into overdrive. It seems the more I eat the hungrier I am. Tried to start it today. Had 2 eggs with some turkey sausage at 8:30AM. By 11:15 my stomach was actually growling and I felt "starving." That's not right. That's how I know I'm deep in my carb addiction. I don't think I was that hungry when I was doing 1500 calories a day.

Uuugghh...but I can't get off this binge I'm on.

Sorry, no help!! Just know you're not alone.

I understand binges. CARBS are mine in a bad way...
    You have to find the mindset that will push you thru your journey right now. You need to lose 10-12lbs...why...now list the why's and choose the reason that will make you walk away from the doughnut, bagel with cream cheese, cake....the reason that makes you hold fast to your resolve.
    You can do it. It's a meal at a time process.