Cooking oil. Coconut oil or other healthy alternative?

neely47
neely47 Posts: 30 Member
Hello, I am eating healthier and exercising nowdays and am looking to switching cooking oils. I currently use olive oil (the Fillipo Berio brand) but want to switch to a healthy alternative. I tried using coconut oil (virgin, unrefined) to make eggs today but I found the taste of coconuts so empowering that I couldn't eat the eggs and had to throw them out. So, does anyone know if there is a scent-free version of coconut oil or is there an alternative cooking oil that I can use that is relatively scent/taste-free?

I believe there is a refined version of coconut oil that is deodorized but I don't think it has the same nutritional benefit as unrefined?

Thanks

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I generally use olive oil for sauteeing at a low-to medium temperature and most dressings, grapeseed for anything higher, and canola for baking.If a recipe calls for something specific, I'll use that. (I've got 90% of a bottle of safflower that I haven't used in months, and about 40% of a bottle of toasted sesame that gets used a lot with Asian noodle dishes or tofu marinades.)
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Olive oil is pretty decent for you. Grapeseed is a good neutral one with a high smoke point. And avocado.
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    There's nothing wrong with other vegetable oils either: I personally use just a tiny bit of oil spray for eggs, but for sautéing vegetables or pan frying I use good old sunflower oil.