Anyone know any quick low calorie snack recipes?

Options
maddyyfaye
maddyyfaye Posts: 8 Member
I'm struggling with a limit of 1200 calories a day and wondered if anyone has any recipes or snack ideas they can share that are quick and low in calories? It's so easy to grab a bag of crisps if I'm hungry but I can't afford to now!

Replies

• rachaelh94
    rachaelh94 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I get Nick's Sticks, which are turkey jerky sticks. The macros are pretty good, they are high in protein and low in fat. Would echo the person above, boiled eggs are great. Fruit is good but it's higher in carbs/sugar. If I just want a drink I will drink iced green tea :)
  • maddyyfaye
    maddyyfaye Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    @ashirley695 I have PCOS which means I'm not supposed to have much dairy, white flour or red meats and i also get hungry really quickly in between meals. It's really tricky to find snacks that keep to my dietry restrictions as well as keeping below my calorie limit. Since cutting out chocolate my favourite snack when im craving something sweet is carrot sticks dipped in natural peanut butter. I also like making mini pizzas out of courgette slices. It's frustrating though!
  • jim_speirs
    jim_speirs Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you tried dehydrating fruits and vegetables? It's a bit involved to cut stuff up and store it properly, but done properly removes all/most water and what is left over has an intense taste. Strawberries are really strawberry-y and a small amount usually does me good. Celery, zucchini (courgette), radishes, cucumber are pretty acceptable veggie snacks. Banana, apple, mango and cantaloupe (muskmelon) are my favourite fruit snacks. Just don't eat a lot at any given time. Pretty useful to keep in your bag. Commercial dried fruit usually has a lot of 'stuff' added to it.
  • whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
    whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Here are my faves. They’re all about plant based. Inalso find warm snacks more Satisfying!
    Stewed apple with cinnamon and stevia.
    Mung bean noodles in miso.
    Hot chocolate made from almond milk, and either cocoa plus stevia or sweet freedom choc pot.
    Microwave veggies (onion pepper mushroom courgette etc) for 4 mins and stir in pasta sauce = cheating ratatouille.
    Mashed frozen banana + vanilla essence / cocoa/ berries = healthy ice cream substitute.
    Tofu scrambled with onion, mushroom and seasoning.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Puffed wheat, dry Cheerios. Sometimes mixed with a tablespoon of roasted sunflower seeds.
  • jenniferrusso7393
    jenniferrusso7393 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Carrot chips or an apple, dried cranberries or raisins. Plus side is they are shelf stable(except for the carrots).
  • jenniferrusso7393
    jenniferrusso7393 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Nuts are good as well-- just don't eat too many at once.
  • Keto60man
    Keto60man Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    New to community. Not sure where this message will go. Help
  • julieh1973
    julieh1973 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Cut apple in small pieces and add peanuts. Sweet, salty and takes a while to eat.
  • lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    rice cake minis, fiber one bars, cheese, beef jerky, smart food pop corn individual bags,
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Nuts, granola bars, cereal with milk
  • invitedchaos
    invitedchaos Posts: 45 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    maddyyfaye wrote: »
    I'm struggling with a limit of 1200 calories a day and wondered if anyone has any recipes or snack ideas they can share that are quick and low in calories? It's so easy to grab a bag of crisps if I'm hungry but I can't afford to now!

I love mixed nuts, and hummus, but they really surprised me with how the calories really stack up before I'm satisfied with the snack (~150 cal per 1/4 cup of either... and I still want more); same goes for dried fruit (especially if you're trying to limit sugar intake).

Popcorn is a good one (~100cal/3cups), just make sure you go butter-free (though the Newman's Own isn't bad)!

I usually go for:

- Pickle spears (5cal ea., or wrap them in deli turkey, ~35cal ea. total depending on how thick the slices are)
    - Bananas (90cal, excellent source of potassium)
    - Canned sliced beets with balsamic vinegar (superfood! ~100cal for 1c. beets and 1tbsp vinegar)
    - Roma tomato wedges, either sprinkled with basil, salt and pepper (~30cal per tomato) or dipped in plain LF Greek yogurt (I like Cabot, 90cal for 1/4 cup, much lower cal than sour cream but just as good, IMHO)

You can also do really simple mini-salads (~100-120cal):
    - 2 c. baby spinach, 10cal
    - 1/2 c. cucumber, 4 cal
    - 1/c. canned beets, chopped, 40 cal (I love beets)
    - 2 tbsp. low-fat feta cheese, 26 cal (seems like a teasingly small amount, but a little goes a long way!)
    - 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar, 28 cal, or red wine vinegar, 10 cal (I like to mix in dried basil, oregano, and pepper, or Wishbone makes an awesome vinaigrette with 60cal/2 tbsp )
    - Optional: 1 tbsp. sunflower seeds or 1/2 c. of chickpeas for some extra protein and healthy fats (each adds 100 cal, still only ~200 total)

Might not seem "quick", but you can mass-prep a bunch of them for the week ahead of time (minus the dressings, of course) and just grab one when you need it! Staying away from grains and sugars will also help keep your energy more level stable so you don't just crash an hour later. Drinking water with whatever snack you choose will also help you feel full longer.

Did I mention beets?!?