50 and over Crowd- Rest Days?

for_ever_young66
for_ever_young66 Posts: 2,877 Member
edited March 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Of course, anyone of any age is welcome to chime in. How often do you guys who are 50 plus take rest days? I am 51 years old. Seems like ever since I started lifting, the gym has almost become an addiction. I guess it's better than being addicted to drugs/alcohol/gambling but as the saying goes, too much of anything is bad for you. Do you work out every other day? Do you plan one or 2 days per week. Some weeks, I'll forget to rest and will go the whole week without taking a rest day. It drives my wife crazy because she thinks I'm going to hurt myself. But for the most part, I'll remember to rest once, maybe twice per week. Is that enough?

Thanks for stopping by.

Jason

Replies

• Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    I'm 55. I lift 2-3x per week...usually 2. The bang for the buck is in the recovery and adaptation....not the work frequency. If you are lifting heavy, older guys like us need recovery. If you are an intermediate lifter and isolate groups, you could go 4x per week and probably be okay, provided you give each muscle group adequate recovery time. Are you working a specific program?
  • for_ever_young66
    edited March 2018
    I'm 55. I lift 2-3x per week...usually 2. The bang for the buck is in the recovery and adaptation....not the work frequency. If you are lifting heavy, older guys like us need recovery. If you are an intermediate lifter and isolate groups, you could go 4x per week and probably be okay, provided you give each muscle group adequate recovery time. Are you working a specific program?

I don't really do a program. I do like to isolate muscle groups and rarely work the same muscle group on back to back days. I do lift 3-4 times a week and run 3-4 times a week. On some days, I strictly run and do no lifting but by the end of the week, I usually look at my workout log. On my running days, if I feel that if there was a muscle that was neglected or not given enough attention, I'll hit it before (or after my run). But a program is probably what I need to get more structure into my routine. I used to rest the entire weekend but I always felt pretty lethargic on my Monday workouts for missing 2 straight days. But I agree with you, I do need to rest more.
  • Thehardmakesitworthit
    Thehardmakesitworthit Posts: 838 Member
    Hi Jason, I have settled on just listening to my body...because I discovered, like you, that two days of rest in a row really set me up to feel some kind of way....and it was not energized. Presently I am doing every other day: lift then cardio etc. Working at this time. Great work you do! I was going to ask you about the BB shrug you noted in your post this morning....did you mean dumbells....
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    The bang for the buck is in the recovery and adaptation....not the work frequency............... provided you give each muscle group adequate recovery time.

^^^ I couldn't agree more with these points.

I am 60yrs old. My situation is slightly different, because I"m focused on endurance training. While I generally train 7 days/week, I do no more than 1 (or sometimes 2) high intensity days/week and never do them back to back. One week, maybe a high intensity bike, the next week, a speed workout on the track, etc. The rest of my workouts are low intensity.

Whether lifting or endurance training, the key is giving muscle groups time to recover and absorb the training gains, otherwise progress will slow and injuries are much more likely.

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    edited March 2018
    When I was doing things that were more conditioning rather than lifting I found I could do a 60 min class and a 30-35 min walk or row 5 days a week and then yoga on the weekends.
    Now I lift, was doing 3 day , now 4, I find walking, rowing or aqua fit, at a low intensity, on my off days is enough, and sometimes too much.
    The yoga at the weekends is still there, one day, it keeps me flexible.

So one full rest day, but 2-3 low intensity days, more rest if I need it.

I started exercising when I was 54, lifting around 60, and am 64 now.
    That decade may make a bit of a difference, who knows.

I am in maintenance and do find I have to keep the occasional eye on my energy levels. If they start to drop, you can lay odds my calories need upping a bit and I am losing weight, slowly.

Cheers, h.

ETA: if you would like to get into a programme, here is a good list.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    I'm 52 (soon to be 53). I'm having a tough time with rest days as well.

I'm doing training for 1/2 marathon, so am running 4 days a week with varying distances. Tues/Thurs I'm doing Strong lifts in the morning and swimming ~1K after work. Come Friday and I want to do something, but know I shouldn't.

Trouble is I like the calories from my runs and swims so Friday I've got nothing except what I saved all week.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    I'm 57 and I either lift or do cardio every day. When my back, knees and/or shoulders start aching, I take a week off from the weights. The only time I take a real rest day is when I've got plans the whole day or when I'm sick or injured. I feel worse when I don't workout.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    I only generally have a rest day when something gets in the way of getting to the gym or exercising outdoors. I would only plan a rest day the day before a big event like a century ride.
    Mostly my schedule is to alternate day by day strength (mostly big compound lifts, upper body biased) and cardio (vast majority cycling) but recently I've been doubling up fairly frequently. Sometimes to make up for a missed training day but today I doubled up cycling and then strength training purely because I wanted to train with my daughter who is trying hard to make training a habit so I'm supporting and encouraging her.

Although I'm 58 I've been training very consistently for the last six years so I'm accustomed to a volume that wouldn't be suitable for someone else. I've also always seemed to make progress better on a higher volume of exercise compared to most people and that hasn't changed in my 50's.

But I do vary my intensity and keep an eye on fatigue levels.
  • mlsh1969
    mlsh1969 Posts: 138 Member
    Well lm not 50...yet but l think l understand ur plight. I too am "addicted" to workouts. I originally was working out mon-fri but gradually added sundays too. Recently l have scaled back to mon- fri.
  • mlsh1969
    mlsh1969 Posts: 138 Member
    But basically u do what feels right to you
  • sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    I'm 47 so close muscle is built outside the gym not during the exercises so rest days are very important for your body to repair the muscle micro tears etc that actually build muscle. I do actually hate my rest day just doesn't seem right but I do notice I can hit higher reps on the day back so it does actually make sense to do it. I do 3 days on 1 day off then 2 on 1 off.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,997 Member
    edited March 2018
    67 here.

Currently rowing 1 hr everyday, lifting 2-3 days/wk and doing body weight exercise 2-3 days/wk on alternate days.

So, basically, I am not taking any rest days right now BUT I am not exercising more than 1 hr/session or 2 hrs/day and the level of effort/intensity is moderate w/a lot of rest between sets and exercises.

So, it isn't all that stenuous to me.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    66, soon to be 67 (in 2 months). I weight train 4 days per week with high volume and high intensity. I do some form of cardio on the other 3 days to varying degrees of intensity from medium to low.

The weight training session that I am currently doing can be a butt kicker. So, some weeks I am taking a full rest day.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,519 Member
    51 and into long distance cycling plus dabbling in running and a few other things. I don't take rest days. Or rather, I vary what I do quite dramatically, and my "rest days" are days when I might just walk a couple km to stretch things out a bit.
  • justlog
    justlog Posts: 125 Member
    Soon to be 52. Over the years I've scaled back on some of the more intense stuff I used to do and replaced it with what I would consider challenging but lower impact routines.

As a general rule I alternate cardio days with other forms of conditioning (for me that means pilates and weights).

I can generally go several days without a break by doing this but I always listen to my body and take the day off if necessary.

In the past I used to do cardio and weights together almost daily but found the need to take more days off. My current approach accommodates some form of activity daily and never feel burned out.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    Soon to be 53.

I lift hard and heavy. But I alternate lifting, and active recovery days. Active recovery days are my way of saying cardio, and foam rolling and stretching. It really makes a difference. And my doctor is happy that I am doing some “cardio”.

I mentioned earlier in the thread as a lifter the importance of recovery days. What you do on your recovery days is similar to mine. I fit in cardio and some "activity" like brisk walks, doing manual work outside the house that requires effort - that sort of thing. Sometimes I'll do rower sprints, which are high intensity, but only 1-2 times per week. I try to keep things in an anabolic (growth) state instead of a catabolic state (which is what cardio does) since they can compete with each other. A catabolic state can stall your strength progression, which is perfectly fine if strength progression is not your goal. So recovery days to me are mostly non-lifting days to allow the proper stress-recovery-adaptation cycle.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    I'll be 50 in a few months. I do take 1 complete rest a week (Sunday's). I work out in some capacity the other 6 days both cardio and strength training.

I suffered a bout of burn out over winter, I am just now getting back to my normal workouts. I started performing terribly, choked them up as 'just bad days' and finally I got tapped out after ignoring it. :wink: I was still resting on Sundays, but I was losing ample recovery time I needed in between workouts during the week (and I am maintaining weight no cutting at the moment) and it caught up to me. I have to remind my self and my doctor did too to pace my self better.

I work out to feel better and be stronger not the other way around. Between me and my family they suggest I take a week off or lower the intensity and volume every 3-4 months so I can reset mentally and physically so I don't go through this again.

This boils down to individual preference and listening to your body.
  • justlog
    justlog Posts: 125 Member
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    I work out to feel better and be stronger not the other way around.

Love this line...

• Djproulx
    I suffered a bout of burn out over winter, I am just now getting back to my normal workouts. I started performing terribly, choked them up as 'just bad days' and finally I got tapped out after ignoring it. :wink: I was still resting on Sundays, but I was losing ample recovery time I needed in between workouts during the week (and I am maintaining weight no cutting at the moment) and it caught up to me. I have to remind my self and my doctor did too to pace my self better.

I work out to feel better and be stronger not the other way around. Between me and my family they suggest I take a week off or lower the intensity and volume every 3-4 months so I can reset mentally and physically so I don't go through this again.

Finding proper balance is so important (and sometimes so difficult) in training. In order to see progression in the endurance sports, (for example, to build fitness in order to complete a long course triathlon) the concept of periodization is key. Several weeks of building volume are followed by a recovery week of reduced work volume and intensity, before volume is picked up again. This allows for supercompensation over time as muscles and systems adapt to the increasing load during the recovery week. I like to think of building fitness as if I'm walking up a flight of stairs. During weeks 1-3, you take a step up each week, then at week four, you remain on the third step before resuming the climb during weeks 5-7,. recovering again during week 8, etcetera. The advantage we have in endurance training is that there are software tools to help athletes (and coaches) see how the body is adapting or if more recovery is needed to get to race day as a healthy participant. I don't know if similar resources exist for lifters?

Finally, each year I take a 4-8 week training break in late fall to allow ample time for recovery from the strain of training. This allows nagging muscle/joint soreness to subside and also provides a much needed mental break.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    edited March 2018
    Only 43 here...I exercise most days, but it's not particularly strenuous. I lift 2-3x per week with a full body program on non-consecutive days and I cycle 3-5 days per week. I'm not training for anything at the moment, so my rides are typically 10-12 miles and take me 35-40 minutes at a conversational pace, so not really a big deal. Sometimes I take Monday off and just walk my dog and do some stretching and rolling.

When I'm training I usually need a couple of rest days due to mileage to recover and I follow a training program that incorporates rest days as well as lower volume weeks, etc.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited March 2018
    Djproulx wrote: »

Finding proper balance is so important (and sometimes so difficult) in training. In order to see progression in the endurance sports, (for example, to build fitness in order to complete a long course triathlon) the concept of periodization is key. Several weeks of building volume are followed by a recovery week of reduced work volume and intensity, before volume is picked up again. This allows for supercompensation over time as muscles and systems adapt to the increasing load during the recovery week. I like to think of building fitness as if I'm walking up a flight of stairs. During weeks 1-3, you take a step up each week, then at week four, you remain on the third step before resuming the climb during weeks 5-7,. recovering again during week 8, etcetera. The advantage we have in endurance training is that there are software tools to help athletes (and coaches) see how the body is adapting or if more recovery is needed to get to race day as a healthy participant. I don't know if similar resources exist for lifters?

Finally, each year I take a 4-8 week training break in late fall to allow ample time for recovery from the strain of training. This allows nagging muscle/joint soreness to subside and also provides a much needed mental break.

This is great information, thanks for this.

The recovery week is definitely something to be doing as you are so right about endurance/sports related activities. I was training for half marathon and still lifting, my training was extensive and like you said not balanced. True lessons learned and even though I took a back seat in the half training (hardly no training the last three weeks prior) I was able to run the half this past Saturday in its entirety.

Lastly, I am not going feel bad for needing to take training breaks. The mental aspect to what I went through was just as bad as needing physical time off as well. I feel 1000x times better for the break I took, I didn't lose fitness or strength. :smile:
  • kyricus
    kyricus Posts: 69 Member
    edited March 2018
    57 here. I do 3-4 days a week at the gym or home (I have a decent setup at home also, weights, elliptical, bike) and rest the other days. Though, I do still try to walk every day it's not too cold or snowy.

Not only do I seem to need the rest more, but, I've also come to the realization that, for me at least, at this age, it's more about maintaining what I've got, making sure it remains in working order, and that I can fit in my clothes without buying larger sizes; than it is about lifting more and running further.

When I work out I do it hard. Heavy weight as I can, and cardio as intense as I can. But I'm not really interested anymore in pushing my max weight, or running a marathon. With age comes wisdom, temperance, and arthritis!

Recovery is important, I don't think it should be overlooked. Overtraining can happen at any age, but for us over 50's, the chance of injury due to in increases.
  • for_ever_young66
    I agree with no6016. This is a good thread with some very mature sensible advice (void of any kind of sarcasm or condescending tones). And Kyricus makes a good point. There come a point in time in my life in which I need to just focus on maintaining whatever kind of muscle development I have. as much as I'd love 18 inch biceps, I don't want it to come at the expense of injuring myself and being on the shelf for months. Also, on days that I rest, probably have an active rest day such as walking my dog or doing some stretches, which can be done in the comforts of my own living room.

Great suggestions, everyone!
  • RickSuk
    RickSuk Posts: 8 Member
    I'm 59. I alternate: weights day, rest day, bodyweight exercises day, rest day, weights day, rest day....

Rest days are usually walks at lunch (2.75 mi.) and 5 miles bicycle commute in both the mornings and evenings (if on the weekend, rest = either 5k run or 15 miles on the bike). Stretching (daily) is usually during the day, and workouts in the evening. Usually the workouts (1.5 hrs.) leave me so wasted that I can't think of working out the next day.

The great thing about being older is that my evenings are mine, instead of volunteering for kid's activities!
  • Djproulx
    .....Lastly, I am not going feel bad for needing to take training breaks. The mental aspect to what I went through was just as bad as needing physical time off as well. I feel 1000x times better for the break I took, I didn't lose fitness or strength. :smile:

My coach insisted that I take at least a month off last year before she would agree to even discuss this year's build plan for the Ironman race in August. The reason was, in her words, " To force you to rest." I guess it seemed to her as if I've demonstrated poor judgement in that area in the past. ;)
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    I'm 53 and really hadn't "trained" for anything other than the occasional trail run a few years back (and before that spent most of my 30's obese). Recovering from Runner's knee I found indoor rowing and love it. My first "indoor Regatta" I placed second and haven't looked back since. Been training harder and harder every year to be sub 7:00 on a 2K (which is roughly the equivalent of an 18 minute or so 5K run). I stink at running, I'm decent at rowing and find myself working harder and harder just to shave 5/10 seconds off my times.

I work out 6 days a week and take one off every week. One suggestion that I read on US Rowing I find very handy is knowing your Resting HR. If you feel you're working too hard, your resting HR starts to creep up. Knowing this figure comes in handy because of that. If you don't want to take regular breaks (other than the one day off a week which I think everyone should at our age), this is a handy little trick. If it starts to creep, and your exercise of choice is mostly cardio, then lots of slow steady state is in order (or at least that is what the US rowing coaches recommend) until your RHR gets back to where it was normally, then resume normal training. I would imagine if you lift, you could deload for a while until it gets back to normal. Maybe this is a better rule for cardio than lifting?? I would think there are similar signs with lifting like plateauing, but your body seems to know when you need a break, we just sometimes refuse to listen to it.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    edited March 2018
    I’m 2 months shy of 50 (sob) and have a really hard time taking rest days. I lift 5x/week and do cardio 4-6x/week. I’m under a great deal of stress (LOTS of life changes in a short time). Working out helps a lot especially since I’m an emotional eater.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,948 Member
    At 62, I'm active for fun and health, and not so much training (in a structured way) for competition. I push myself, because that's more fun, but I find I do better overall if I don't (mostly) repeat the very same physical stressors on consecutive days. As I age, recovery is more important to progress, but recovery is a nuanced thing.

I always take one rest day in the week, sometimes active rest (walk 2-4 miles, easy bike for an hour or so, and/or a little stretching/yoga - that sort of thing). In winter, my rowing off season, workouts are a little more random, a few more light days, but I know I feel worse (stiff, stress-y) if I'm inactive too long. Inactivity becomes self-correcting, because it makes life subjectively worse.

After being active for a while (I've been so for around 15 years), I think you find your own happy rhythm. Balance (IMO) is vital - family, faith (if applicable), friends, community, intellectual challenges, creativity, etc.
  • for_ever_young66
    edited March 2018
    You guys are gonna be proud of me. I had my gym clothes packed and was about to stop at gym on way home from work. Instead, I kept driving and went home. First rest day in 9 days. Lol. Now, I'm sitting on my butt watching March Madness