"Common Sense Keto"...cult

Options
2»

Replies

• fsv360
    fsv360 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Only found this randomly. The group has certainly become extremely restrictive and promotes a very strict regime which is a shame as it used to be more open. So yes, it has gotten near cultish and the inclusion of admins who act like political officers enforcing the party line swung it that way. As for the numbers, a lot will be inactive I imagine, that is the way of most groups I find. As stated, the creator is viewing it as a business so I'll now class it like Scientology in that respect.
  • randrewcook
    randrewcook Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've found that the ketogenic diet community is a lot like religion; there are different denominations each with their own heresy; etc. I'm a member of the CSK group, and my experience is they are very up front with the group rules and that the purpose of the group is specifically to support people who want to follow the admin's nutritional recommendations; and enforce that pretty consistently. It's said over and over, "Feel free to do whatever you want, you're an adult; we just ask you don't post recommendations contrary to our program. If that's not OK, then this group is not for you." That seems pretty reasonable to me; and keeps down the confusion. I don't follow everything they recommend (for example, I have a little Splenda in my coffee, but I understand the logic behind the no sweetener rule). It's completely OK for them to admin their group as they wish, just like it's completely OK to say, "You are not for me. Bye!", and they won't condemn you for it.

I'll just say, having actually been a member of an actual cult for 20 years, there is definitely a difference. I think it makes sense to be a member to one keto group and if it's working and supporting what you are doing, that's great! If it stops working, look at another with a different perspective. I tend to float between Dr. Berg and CSK and I've lost almost 70 lbs over the past 12 months and feel great.

Just like in religion, the desire to be "right" can cause conflicts. The interactions I've seen go south with admins usually starts with someone being reminded not to post contrary recommendations, they get mad and then an argument about "who's the most right" ensues. "Who's the most right" doesn't matter, it's their group, and their rules, and anyone can leave at any time without any bad feelings if they want to.
  • alevera45andasaddle
    Options
    I was in this group up until a few minutes ago. I was kicked out completely because i said that fasting had health benefits and both keto and fasting could be used together. first one of the admins pounced in and totally attacked my statement in very very rude ways, then when i responded in a reasonable manner i was simply banned before i could further tarnish their pristine dietary religion. these people i must agree are quite nuts. i would steer clear, i am now following doctor berg who supports both fasting and keto because the science works.