Anti-Breakfast brigade?

Replies

• andreascjonsson
    andreascjonsson Posts: 433 Member
    I usually eat my breakfast about 3-4 hours after waking up, so then i eat a very late lunch and usually have something very small or nothing at all for dinner instead
  • freespirit6315
    freespirit6315 Posts: 119 Member
    I'm not very much of a breakfast food person the only breakfast food I eat basically is eggs but I prefer to wait until 10 a.m. to noon before I eat anyting and I eat between that time and 8 p.m. I don't like to eat after 8 p.m. since I've been on this program I have not gone over my required calorie amount of daily intake usually I'm below.
    The doctors I've had say I should eat breakfast because I'm diabetic and I should I eat before bed so my sugar doesn't Spike.
  • freespirit6315
    freespirit6315 Posts: 119 Member
    That's one of the reasons why I'm on here is to figure it all out with my diet and do the best I can to get this weight off I'll figure out what's best for me and in this program and in this community I surely appreciate all the advice and information I'm getting on this site it's wonderful thank you.
  • Leijing
    Leijing Posts: 21 Member
    I work nights, so my eating schedule can be a little erratic. There are days that "breakfast" is at 5 PM, lunch is 1 AM (or later), and dinner is at 7 am. But it's like my digestive system needs extra time to wake up or something. I've been trying to either pack extra calories into my later meals or bring a 10 o'clock snack to make up for a small breakfast.
  • juliamfu161
    juliamfu161 Posts: 41 Member
    I'm pretty much the same, my body very rarely feels hungry in the morning. If it does, it's because I was calorie deficient the day before. Usually, I don't feel hunger until 9-10am. But, I do think breakfast is kind of important so I have something small, like an apple or orange around 8am. If I miss it on a day that I don't workout it's not that bad, but I think the sugar boost helps especially after I work out in the morning to feel awake. I always just bring a packet of plain oatmeal to work because I get antsy around 9:30am when my stomach wakes up. I can cook it in the microwave, and stave off lunch until 12:30 or 1pm. Dinner and snacking after dinner has always been my biggest problem, so if there are any tricks people have, I'd love to hear about it!
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    I can't eat first thing, my stomach doesn't like food that early. At all.

Since I get up and head straight to the gym, I add some BCAA to my water just to help me get through my workouts (from my research about the only thing it's good for, and it does seem to help me get through the two hours I'm there). I then have my protein shake with some berries and a banana when I get home as my "breakfast."

A real "breakfast" is only eaten on rare occasions where it's more like a brunch than a breakfast.
  • J_Fairfax
    J_Fairfax Posts: 57 Member
    I never used to eat breakfast but I have made an absolute routine of having a bowl of oatmeal, usually with a banana and a splash of honey. And coffee, I find my brain and body work a lot better with this approach.

Sometimes I will just feel like having a cheeky quick run or something before breakfast though.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Breakfast = coffee. Maybe a green smoothie if I really go crazy. But I do eat 3 meals, they are at 12, 3 & 7.
  • DragonHasTheSapphire
    DragonHasTheSapphire Posts: 184 Member
    I eat first thing in the morning. I used to believe (no longer) that if you worked out on an empty stomach, you'd lose more weight. Later, I found out that all it did was make my workout sloppy and my appetite increase so much, to where I would overeat.

Generally, I eat most of my calories/carbs in the morning, and then do a workout. I used to not be hungry when I woke up in the morning, but since my exercising has increased and got more intense, I feel like a glutton when it comes to food XD.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,312 Member
    If I eat breakfast, I feel awful the rest of the day, however, the trainer at the gym stressed eating soon after you get up, (& explained why) so...I eat 2-3 Tablespoons of my non fat plain greek yogurt & it really does make me feel better till brunch, I'm not "starving" & don't over eat
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    J_Fairfax wrote: »
    I never used to eat breakfast but I have made an absolute routine of having a bowl of oatmeal, usually with a banana and a splash of honey. And coffee, I find my brain and body work a lot better with this approach.

Sometimes I will just feel like having a cheeky quick run or something before breakfast though.

What’s a cheeky run?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    I'm up at 6am each morning, train around 8am and don't eat till after 12pm each day. For years.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    MichSmish wrote: »
    J_Fairfax wrote: »

What’s a cheeky run?

When you stick your tongue out as you run along?
  • l4dy0nyx
    l4dy0nyx Posts: 45 Member
    Leijing wrote: »
    Before anyone freaks out, I'm NOT saying that I think breakfast is bad for you. I've just never been a fan of breakfast. I'm the one that ate a pack of pop-tarts every morning in high school because I wouldn't want to eat before I left in the morning, but I needed something to tide me over until lunch. My stomach thinks it needs a couple hours to wake up in the morning before it's willing to accept food.

Since I started tracking, I've noticed that I usually don't break 300 cal for my breakfasts, and most of that is juice, coffee, and creamer.

Is breakfast really the "most important meal of the day" like everyone keeps saying, or are there more people out there that think breakfast is just sort of "meh"? Also, what do those of you who aren't breakfast fans do to make sure your calorie intake stays on point?

I mean, I think breakfast is only necessary if you were drinking and sniffing coke all night the night before.... other than that... blah... plus I don't eat breakfast because early in the morning I go straight to the gym when I wake up so I can burn the fat off of my body instead of what I ate. And follow that up,with a fulfilling protein shake.... so... in retrospect... I agree with you... lol.
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Breakfast is typically my largest meal of the day with dinner being the smallest, probably because I'm "winding up" after breakfast & becoming active whereas after dinner I'm "winding down" for the day & don't really need or want to eat as much.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    are there more people out there that think breakfast is just sort of "meh"?

well, i'm one more person, at least.

as for the calorie intake, i dunno. i'm 52, and i don't think i've ever lacked calories for that reason alone ;) depending on what i'm diong exercise-wise, do notice my intake patterns will shift quite a bit, but it all comes out pmuch the same in the end. the only new thing in my life compared with ten/twenty years ago is the 'breakfast' smoothie. which i make in the morning but often take a whole day to get through.

i don't track calories. i got sick of it after a year or so, and now i just keep an eye on my weight and general feeling of whether i'm gaining or losing fat. it's more like i tweak the volume of calories than the timing, when i do feel like i need to adjust.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    I can't eat first thing, my stomach doesn't like food that early. At all.

Since I get up and head straight to the gym, I add some BCAA to my water just to help me get through my workouts (from my research about the only thing it's good for, and it does seem to help me get through the two hours I'm there). I then have my protein shake with some berries and a banana when I get home as my "breakfast."

A real "breakfast" is only eaten on rare occasions where it's more like a brunch than a breakfast.

Same. I've had morning sickness for the last 40 years of my life, lol.

I work out first thing in the morning, fasted, and afterwards I can get a protein shake down. No solid food until I've been up and about for 3 to 4 hours though.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    edited April 2018
    Food, I need it and love it. I don't really get up till about 8.30am on work days and 9.30am on gym days so not as early as some who can't face eating.

5 meals a day, I have IBS so I need a small and regular eating pattern or if I try and get a big meal down I'm no good to anyone.

As a slim build, nervous energy ectomorph I can't miss meals or the blood pressure isn't happy.

Beans on toast in a mo, excited :D
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    l4dy0nyx wrote: »
    Before anyone freaks out, I'm NOT saying that I think breakfast is bad for you. I've just never been a fan of breakfast. I'm the one that ate a pack of pop-tarts every morning in high school because I wouldn't want to eat before I left in the morning, but I needed something to tide me over until lunch. My stomach thinks it needs a couple hours to wake up in the morning before it's willing to accept food.

Since I started tracking, I've noticed that I usually don't break 300 cal for my breakfasts, and most of that is juice, coffee, and creamer.

Is breakfast really the "most important meal of the day" like everyone keeps saying, or are there more people out there that think breakfast is just sort of "meh"? Also, what do those of you who aren't breakfast fans do to make sure your calorie intake stays on point?

I mean, I think breakfast is only necessary if you were drinking and sniffing coke all night the night before.... other than that... blah... plus I don't eat breakfast because early in the morning I go straight to the gym when I wake up so I can burn the fat off of my body instead of what I ate. And follow that up,with a fulfilling protein shake.... so... in retrospect... I agree with you... lol.

Strange bean