Anti-Breakfast brigade?

Options
Leijing
Leijing Posts: 21 Member
Before anyone freaks out, I'm NOT saying that I think breakfast is bad for you. I've just never been a fan of breakfast. I'm the one that ate a pack of pop-tarts every morning in high school because I wouldn't want to eat before I left in the morning, but I needed something to tide me over until lunch. My stomach thinks it needs a couple hours to wake up in the morning before it's willing to accept food.

Since I started tracking, I've noticed that I usually don't break 300 cal for my breakfasts, and most of that is juice, coffee, and creamer.

Is breakfast really the "most important meal of the day" like everyone keeps saying, or are there more people out there that think breakfast is just sort of "meh"? Also, what do those of you who aren't breakfast fans do to make sure your calorie intake stays on point?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    You don't need to eat first thing in the morning of you don't want to. However, if you are trying to gain weight and having issues, expanding your eating window can help get the calories in.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My high energy time is the morning and my favourite meal of the day is breakfast. I’ve had to get used to the idea that I might be enjoying my morning alone, though.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    When you’re trying to gain mass, the “most important meal of the day” is usually your next one. Granted, most people aren’t as absurdly stubborn about insisting upon whole food bulking as I am, but when you’re trying to get in 3500+ kcals per day, skipping a meal isn’t an option, unless you want to have one that ends in you feeling like overstuffed garbage.

Personally, I tend to frontload most of my calories into the earliest parts of the day, but I also train between 4-7 am, depending upon the day of the week (earlier during the work week).
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I have this issue with lunch. I eat a big breakfast because I wake up hungry but then find I'm not hungry at lunchtime.
    The only issue I have with skipping a meal is that for me, it makes it harder to reach my calorie goal.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is not important, its about the total calories you consume being less than you burn so if you don't want breakfast, don't have it.
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Lol. Three Square Meals a Day is a relatively modern concept actually. I've dug up an interesting article you might enjoy. Knowing a lot of farmers they've often done hours of work before coming in to have a breakfast. As a former shift worker I used to eat "breakfast" a few hours into my shift.

bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20243692
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I used to believe breakfast was essential.

However, my experience with intermittent fasting has shown me it is not.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Lol. Three Square Meals a Day is a relatively modern concept actually. I've dug up an interesting article you might enjoy. Knowing a lot of farmers they've often done hours of work before coming in to have a breakfast. As a former shift worker I used to eat "breakfast" a few hours into my shift.

Honestly that’s what I do. Up at 4:45, at work at 6, eat at 10:30.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I typically don’t break my fast until midday at the earliest. Fewer large meals work really well for my adherence to a deficit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    "Most important meal of the day" was Kellog's marketing for cereal.

Personally, I like breakfast around 8:30 am...it's usually my smallest meal at around 350 calories. Usually a couple eggs and oats or pinto beans with a low sodium V8
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

Honestly that’s what I do. Up at 4:45, at work at 6, eat at 10:30.

Me, too.
  • Leijing
    Leijing Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day" was started by Kelloggs to get people to buy cereal. Some people don't like eating early, some get ill eating early, and some have found that by eating early they will end up eating all day (I'm actually the opposite of this where if I DON'T eat breakfast I'll snack all afternoon). Those people who don't eat early will just eat more calories in the meals they do consume.

When I was a kid, this was always stated as a fact, not an advertising slogan. :D
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Leijing wrote: »
    "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day" was started by Kelloggs to get people to buy cereal. Some people don't like eating early, some get ill eating early, and some have found that by eating early they will end up eating all day (I'm actually the opposite of this where if I DON'T eat breakfast I'll snack all afternoon). Those people who don't eat early will just eat more calories in the meals they do consume.

When I was a kid, this was always stated as a fact, not an advertising slogan. :D

It‘s time as a marketing campaign predated almost anyone who is still alive. By anyone under 100 years old’s time, it had moved into the zeitgeist as accepted “fact”.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I'm a crazy heavy night time eater. When I started on calorie counting (I'm into maintenance for nearly five years), I thought you had to eat breakfast (as in the traditional sense) every day. Now I mostly skip it and save the calories for between 1PM and 9PM, where I cram a ton of calories into the hours my body is hungriest naturally. I don't feel deprived at all any longer.