Diet Soda!!

Options
124»

Replies

• TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    You could be like me and not by into the fear mongering and enjoy 2 or 3 Diet Pepsi' a day and lose a few pounds.... But to each there own.... Best of Luck....
    Anyone who's lost 312 lbs like this guy (with no bariatric surgery!) obviously knows what he's talking about. These are the people I listen to on these forums. They know how to diet.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,604 Member
    Options
    I've researched this for the past 5 years now (due to all the hype about it) and since I've been drinking it for about 25 years now.

What I've found is:

Most naysayers don't have peer reviewed evidence credible enough to counter peer reviewed evidence (and there's lots of it) showing that moderate use isn't harmful (with the exception of people with PKU or personal reactions to it).

Most people spouting how "bad" it is, haven't really researched but are echoing information that they've heard.

People who are jealous that they can't lose weight with it, condemn it.

As mentioned, I've personally drank it for 25 years and have never had any of the issues that others claim are supposed to happen. Special snowflake? Nah. I just believe that actual science has it right.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I have been on and off the diet soda kick and I do not believe it has impacted my weight loss either way. Avoiding said "toxins" can take all the fun out of life so I say choose the crap you want and leave behind those you can do without....a person could go absolutely nutso reading labels!!
  • bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I gave up my diet Pepsi habit when I decided to embrace a "clean" diet. It did nothing to help me lose weight. As a matter of fact, my weight loss stalled for several weeks. A couple of weeks ago, I started drinking it again and I've lost 2.5 pounds each week. I'm sure it's coincidental but my point is that drinking or not drinking it did not effect my weight loss.

You have to do what works for you and for me that's the 80/20 rule. I've found a way to eat and enjoy everything I did in the past, I just hold myself accountable now.

Don't let the fear mongering force you to do something that makes you miserable. And if you want some anecdotal evidence, my 93 year old dad drank diet soda for 60 years...even back when it was made with saccharine. It helped him lose 30 pounds and get his type II diabetes under control. He's in great health.
  • sunshine4me
    sunshine4me Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I use to drink diet Pepsi as if it were the only drink in the world. I knew it was unhealthy, in the quantities I was taking in and I tried a few times to quit but could not seem to do it. I began having trouble with indigestion. It was so bad they scoped my stomach. Fortunately.. nothing serious except some really bad irritation. At that point I knew I had to do something..but still didn't.
    I have revamped my eating,one item at a time and I finally addressed the diet soda problem. I did it by switching, ever so slowly, to soda water. I get my water and it helps with the craving for soda. I still have a sip or two once in while but I can't drink a whole can anymore.
  • trackmyday1973
    trackmyday1973 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I drink a 591 ml bottle of diet soda a day....it hasn't hindered my weight loss.

As for the toxic side.....what doesn't have toxins?

Might as well live in a bubble because we are exposed to toxins every single day of our lives.

Oh wait.....the bubble may cause cancer too OMG

We need to stop living in a world of fear........ We can't assume everything under the sun causes cancer....oh wait the sun causes cancer too...

Wear sunscreen and live life :)
  • moniquec37
    Options
    honestly, i dont like diet soda, the taste throws me. I do like coke zero, i've stopped drinking it regularly but i really dont see much of a difference either way.
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I just noticed there is a link between me drinking diet coke and overeating. I don't know what but there is a definite link. So I won't be having any more of that!
    Ten bucks says the only link between diet soda and overeating, or diet soda and obesity, is that people who are overeaters/obese are more likely to drink diet sodas because they're concerned about their weight. Correlation doesn't equal causation.

Naturally thin people probably just don't see a need to drink diet sodas. They can get away with the regular stuff.

For me I just don't like the taste of regular soda anymore. Way too syrupy. The "Zero" sodas (Coke Zero, Sprite Zero, etc.) are way better-tasting to me. Also I can't justify wolfing down an extra 140 empty calories in a beverage. Unless it's beer ;-)
  • reagmatt
    Options
    It will be 3 weeks on Tuesday since I gave up soft drinks. Have had a few caffeine head aches but they too have stopped. Each meal I now drink water with lemon or lime. My loves were Diet Mountain Dew and Code Red Mountain Dew. I would LOVE to have a Code Red right now but I won't!
  • Adrianachiarato
    Adrianachiarato Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I've lost 103 lbs drinking Diet Coke every single day, at least 2 litres.
  • jaxstraww
    jaxstraww Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I don't drink ANY sodas. I do have an addiction for sugar-free tea though. Not sure if that's any better..lol

Same here.

I never got sweating the diet soda thing. More worried about sticking a Krimpit in my mouth than a diet soda. Deciding on a diet soft drink is on the bottom of my worries.
  • NarneyK
    NarneyK Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I used to only drink diet soda and hated the taste of water. But I stopped purely for the affect soda has on teeth. I didn't like the idea of wearing dentures at a young age. That thought scared me straight haha. I occasionally still drink it if I eat out, but I try my best not to.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I used to drink between 2-4 liters of Diet Coke each day.
    Then I cut down to maybe 1 16oz bottle in a week.
    I didn't notice any weight-loss afterward. However, I'm glad to get more junk chemicals out of my body.