Can someone assure me I will lose weight?

Options
I just need the encouragement. I will be exercising every day and eating right.

Replies

• TynaBaby17
    TynaBaby17 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Of course you will! Weight loss is broken down to a calorie deficit. 3500 calories a week to loose a pound a week. And it may take a little while to get into the swing of things for dieting and exercising but you will loose weight. In a couple weeks you will see the number change on the scale. In a couple months you will see yourself change in the mirror!

But to make it sustainable you don't want to over push yourself or go total gun-ho zero slack! you are way more likely to quit, doing that. Just increase your exercising gradually, since your muscles will prolly be weak and will need more time to heal! Change your diet gradually as well! And give yourself credit for tiny victories! All these things will keep you healthy mentally and physically! Weight loss is 75% mental and 25% physical! Feel free to add me! :D Good luck!
  • KaleiAlanaSmith
    KaleiAlanaSmith Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I promise as long as you're in a caloric deficit you will lose weight!! It's all about patience and commitment so don't give up :) It takes time but you will see results!! You already show the will to workout and eat right so as long as you log what you eat and workout you'll do great!
  • Tapricias
    Tapricias Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    eat less calories, lose weight. CICO
    calories in, calories
    move a little more, eat a little less.
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    As long as you follow CICO, you will lose weight. I lost my first 5 pounds with a diet that consisted heavily of Wendy's and Culver's, but I made sure it fit into my daily calorie limit. I try to eat healthier now, but at the end of the day it all comes down to keeping a deficit and trusting the process.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,480 Member
    Options
    As noted on your thread, a calorie deficit will result in weight loss. It’s the laws of physics.

But exercise and “eating right” are not necessarily the way to eat at a deficit. Calculate a modest deficit, don’t eat back exercise calories unless training hard, weigh your intake and relentlessly log your calories into your food diary.

Figure out how to cope with the time issue, and how you will stick to it when discouraged. Be determined. Can’t miss.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    From exercising and eating right? Maybe, maybe not.

From eating in a calorie deficit? Yes you'll lose weight.
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    It's math and patience. If you eat a calorie deficit consistently, you'll lose weight. It isn't linear, though. Patience and persistence will get you there.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I call it simple math. If you are in a calorie deficit you must lose weight. The downside is that if you are in a calorie surplus than you must gain weight.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    vmlabute wrote: »
    it's a lifestyle change. As long as you're eating clean foods working on portion control and participating in exercise, you will lose weight

Lifestyle change can help you keep your weight in check in the future. Working on portion control is good.

But there is no agreed upon definition of "clean" foods, and it's not required for weight loss.

Exercise is great for your health, but again not required for weight loss. Even people who can't exercise, can lose weight.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    it's a lifestyle change. As long as you're eating clean foods working on portion control and participating in exercise, you will lose weight

The OP could be doing all those things and still not lose weight if he/she is not in a calorie deficit. And what is the definition of "eating clean"?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

None of this guarantees weight loss though. There are dozens of definitions as to what is considered a "clean food".
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,368 Member
    Options
    BaBaFlex wrote: »
    Meal prep is the key to your weight loss goal while not constantly being a deprived animal constantly looking for your next meal. In most weight loss scenarios you up your fiber/protein/fat and lower most other carbohydrates. You can still eat them but timing is crucial. The training window is a "thing" and both sexes can benefit from the insulin spike from quicker acting carbs for recovery after a workout.

Learning a little more about biochemistry would help you understand what to eat and when. Timing is a large part that people usually overlook.

Meal prep may help but it is not necessary - I have lost 75 lbs without doing a single meal prep.

Also, for the average person who is just trying to get in better shape, meal timing is totally irrelevant. If you are training to be an athlete or to compete, timing MIGHT make a difference, otherwise, eat when you are hungry.
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Meal prep is the key to your weight loss goal while not constantly being a deprived animal constantly looking for your next meal. In most weight loss scenarios you up your fiber/protein/fat and lower most other carbohydrates. You can still eat them but timing is crucial. The training window is a "thing" and both sexes can benefit from the insulin spike from quicker acting carbs for recovery after a workout.

Learning a little more about biochemistry would help you understand what to eat and when. Timing is a large part that people usually overlook.

Meal prep may help but it is not necessary - I have lost 75 lbs without doing a single meal prep.

Also, for the average person who is just trying to get in better shape, meal timing is totally irrelevant. If you are training to be an athlete or to compete, timing MIGHT make a difference, otherwise, eat when you are hungry.

^^^ This. Also, different people respond in different ways to drops in blood sugar. Planning your meals (or not planning them) around of low blood sugar predictions is absolutely not necessary. Look at all the people who successfully lose or maintain their weight through IF or OMAD for evidence.
  • sevenlabors
    sevenlabors Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    JMcGee2018 wrote: »
    As long as you follow CICO, you will lose weight. I lost my first 5 pounds with a diet that consisted heavily of Wendy's and Culver's, but I made sure it fit into my daily calorie limit. I try to eat healthier now, but at the end of the day it all comes down to keeping a deficit and trusting the process.

Verifying this.

I lost 150 pounds over a year and a half and did it while still eating plenty of fast food. Staying under my caloric limits each day was key.

Now, is sticking to strict macros and healthier foods a better plan that is more beneficial for your overall health? Likely so. But for fat loss, CICO has been king for me.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is a simple add and subtract protocol, but logging all your meals is a pain in the *kitten*. Having go-to meals when your hungry is a must, otherwise your blood sugar drop will cause your body to crave quick acting carbs.
    You need to know where you're at for accurate results, this requires two things.
    1-Knowing your lean body weight and BF%
    2-Get a reliable corded food scale up to 20lbs.

This is pretty much all either not necessary for weight loss and in some cases just plain wrong.

OP, you've gotten several great and consistent responses. Please don't let this one throw you.
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Log your meals and you will. I haven't really even started working out yet, between overtime at work, the flu and other injuries acting up. Still losing a pound a week right now just staying in my allowed calories.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    NVM (delete at will)