Should I allow extra calories on museum days?

Options
2»

Replies

• ap1972
    ap1972 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    ap1972 wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    It's a museum. Are you going to power walk through it 5x?

Just being on your feet for for a few hours will burn more calories than sat on the couch let alone the movement around the museum.

Not to the point of adjusting calories for the day and worrying if you'll get to eat more.

50 calories per hour is not enough to adjust? If I said I won't bother logging a candy bar with the same calories you would agree with that as well? Why does MFP use the example of standing for work for activity levels as well?

• runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Options

Just being on your feet for for a few hours will burn more calories than sat on the couch let alone the movement around the museum.

Not to the point of adjusting calories for the day and worrying if you'll get to eat more.

50 calories per hour is not enough to adjust? If I said I won't bother logging a candy bar with the same calories you would agree with that as well? Why does MFP use the example of standing for work for activity levels as well?

Apples to oranges. Not logging a candy bar can undermine weight loss efforts. Not adjusting calories due to a stroll around a museum? Not going to do anything. But, you do you and I'll do me.

My family and I are going to a trampoline park next weekend. I'm positive bouncing for an hour or so will burn a ton of calories. Am I going to use it as an excuse to eat more? Nope.
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    I think it really boils down to what YOU want. Is it a special day for you, one in which you'd like to indulge a bit? No problem! Log accordingly, and plan for a slight deficit the next days to compensate.
    But leisurely walking and standing don't burn much so I wouldn't link the two. We're masters of our own demise once we go down the justification path. I know if I'm going to argue my extra calories from a slightly more active day, soon I'm going to chalk up some extra chocolate squares to the fact that I burned "something" taking the stairs that morning.
  • ap1972
    Options

Apples to oranges. Not logging a candy bar can undermine weight loss efforts. Not adjusting calories due to a stroll around a museum? Not going to do anything. But, you do you and I'll do me.

My family and I are going to a trampoline park next weekend. I'm positive bouncing for an hour or so will burn a ton of calories. Am I going to use it as an excuse to eat more? Nope.
    So the principle of eating back your exercise calories should be ignored? Half an hour cardio would burn less than a day spent at the museum. Agree it's up to individual how they manage this but going from sedentary to an active day even if only moderately will have an impact and should be logged if nothing else.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Well I wear a fitbit so that would be accounted for, but it's just one day, it's not going to make any difference in the long term. Just eat a bit more if you're hungry.
  • runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Options

So the principle of eating back your exercise calories should be ignored? Half an hour cardio would burn less than a day spent at the museum. Agree it's up to individual how they manage this but going from sedentary to an active day even if only moderately will have an impact and should be logged if nothing else.

The difference is that I wouldn't count a stroll around a museum as exercise, no matter the length. But, if you would log it as "exercise", more power to you.

• Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Climbing Everest, yes.

Going on a day trip to the museum, no.

??
    That whole thing made no sense....lol
    What a odd comparison..haha
  • ap1972
    Options

The difference is that I wouldn't count a stroll around a museum as exercise, no matter the length. But, if you would log it as "exercise", more power to you.

I wouldn't call it exercise either but that is the only way MFP has to log calorie burn, the extra calorie burn from being sedentary is real and it doesn't matter where it comes from it is just as significant.