Free Weights -- how to start?

Hi folks,

I am returning to weight training after 5 years off because of surgeries, cancer treatments, etc. Which means that I have significant changes from mastectomy (muscles that were severed), a rotator cuff that's acting a little iffy, and a lot of inertia to overcome.

So I'm looking for a good resource to tell me where and how to start. I don't know the names of exercises -- I don't really even know the names of the muscles! But I am particularly thinking that I need to work on Upper Body muscles (biceps, triceps, shoulders, chest?) I do lots of yoga, biking, snowshoeing, hiking, which I guess is mostly cardio, but feels like it may be getting some muscle and conditioning for legs, too.
I have all the weights and equipment that I need at the rec center, but I don't have a trainer and can't really afford one. Where can I find the best "beginning upper body" workout?

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    check out Strong Curves or New Rules of Lifting for women. they both have programs you can follow, and explain how to do the exercises.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    If you have muscles that were severed and function differently, as well as a possible injury waiting to happen, I'd suggest talking to a physical therapist about a safe routine. Beyond that I'd start with lighter weight and more reps rather than heavier weights and less reps. Build up your endurance with the muscles you have not used for so long before pushing them to their limit. Food for thought.
  • for_ever_young66
    for_ever_young66 Posts: 2,878 Member
    Start with either lighter weights or using your own body weight as much as possible. Try some modified push-ups, for example, and some bench dips for your arms and chest. For your legs, you may want to do some body weight squats or lunges. Once your body strengthens, grab a set of 5 lb dumbbells and work your way up. But as someone alluded to earlier, you may want to talk to a PT before you do anything to strenuous.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    Given your medical history, you really should get a customized plan from a professional, like a sports physical therapist or a kinesiologist. Can you go to one?

If you absolutely must follow a cookie-cutter program, i'd go with New Rules of Lifting for Life, since it's written for middle-aged folks who often have physical limitations. Check the tutorials for each exercise on Youtube, and also video yourself to verify your form.