Hate spinning bike seats

Options
I absolutely love spinning, but why do the seats have to be so hard and uncomfortable, my poor butt is killing

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    sarah79a wrote: »
    I absolutely love spinning, but why do the seats have to be so hard and uncomfortable, my poor butt is killing

Yeah, they don't have much give. I recommend padded shorts, or padded underwear that you wear shorts over - they have them for spinning. I have my trainer set up at home, and really, the padding makes a huge difference. :)
  • runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Padded shorts or like was said above, a cover.
  • nhorton5
    nhorton5 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I actually found having the seat further back helped it be less painful.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,507 Member
    Options
    Padded shorts help a lot (as previously mentioned )

Also. ...

Stand out of the saddle from time to time.

And....

Change up your hand position on occasion, it changes the angle in which you engage the saddle.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    First make sure you have adjusted the seat correctly.
    Primarily the height (so many people ride far too low), then the fore/aft adjustment.
    The instructor should be able to help with set up.

If you don't acclimatise after a while then invest in proper cycling shorts - you don't need very expensive ones for the short duration of Spinning classes but they make a huge difference.

• Sarahlouise5A
    Sarahlouise5A Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have padded pants but feels like I'm wearing a massive nappy, so never worn them to class, today's class was nearly all seated sprints
  • sijomial
    Options
    I have padded pants but feels like I'm wearing a massive nappy, so never worn them to class, today's class was nearly all seated sprints

Did you feel you were bouncing or squirming on the saddle during the sprints?
  • mph323
    Options

I think you can get shorts specifically for spinning that have a lighter pad? I remember seeing them when I was looking for a lightly padded road short.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options

I think this is the best description of how I feel too in spinning shorts. I got used to the bike seat over time and horseriding also helped that too.

I wear the padded pants underneath some regular running shorts, also I am very pear shapes so I dont need any extra inches added down there.
  • Sarahlouise5A
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

I didn't feel like I was,
  • Sarahlouise5A
    Options
    kballsocc wrote: »

I think this is the best description of how I feel too in spinning shorts. I got used to the bike seat over time and horseriding also helped that too.

I wear the padded pants underneath some regular running shorts, also I am very pear shapes so I dont need any extra inches added down there.

Think I may have to invest in a seat cover,
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

I thought I looked hot in my bike shorts. Maybe I should reevaluate... :/
  • sijomial
    Options

Sounds like it's time to try the shorts then. Luckily spinning is exercise and not a fashion show. ;)

I've done hundreds of virtual miles bike training indoors this winter so if this old fart can appear in public in cycle shorts then you can too....
    I actually invested in my own seat post mounting so that I could quickly and easily mount my own saddle as the standard saddles were clearly designed by a man-hater. :neutral:
  • Sarahlouise5A
    Options

Sounds like it's time to try the shorts then. Luckily spinning is exercise and not a fashion show. ;)

I've done hundreds of virtual miles bike training indoors this winter so if this old fart can appear in public in cycle shorts then you can too....
    I actually invested in my own seat post mounting so that I could quickly and easily mount my own saddle as the standard saddles were clearly designed by a man-hater. :neutral:

I definitely feel sexier and slimmer when I'm standing up and not on the saddle the whole time. But think seat cover or padding is the way forward
  • mph323
    Options
    All I can think of now is Queen's "Fat Bottomed Girls"

"Get on your bikes and ride!" :)
  • franklin5280
    franklin5280 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Feel your pain. Put in an hour inside today. Think I’m going to a smart trainer. Wahoo, Cycle Ops, and Kenetic are a few that let me integrate my road bike into a indoor trainer. Padded short help. Cream on chamois helps, getting out of saddle helps. Another 100 lbs loss will me. Could ride 5 minutes 145 lbs ago.
  • Sarahlouise5A
    Options

Had to imagine it was something else I was sitting on to try take the focus off how uncomfortable it was
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

I definitely feel sexier and slimmer when I'm standing up and not on the saddle the whole time. But think seat cover or padding is the way forward

Well you've already got the padding, wear the shorts!

Personally I'm not keen on excessively padded seats. The shorts move with you, the seat doesn't.
  • Sarahlouise5A
    Options

Well you've already got the padding, wear the shorts!

Personally I'm not keen on excessively padded seats. The shorts move with you, the seat doesn't.

I have spinning tomorrow morning, so going to give them a try x