Hate spinning bike seats

Options
2»

Replies

• huskydoo
    huskydoo Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I recommend cycling shorts too! As with anything else the more you pay the better quality the cushioning is. Gel shorts are really nice. Nashbar has a great selection and good prices.

Another thing to think about and a little more money. Go to a good LBS and get measured for a seat. Everyone’s “sit bones” are different. All seats are not one size fits all.

And as others have said, your bike to seat interface will get conditioned with more seat time.
  • Sarahlouise5A
    Sarahlouise5A Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    huskydoo wrote: »
    I recommend cycling shorts too! As with anything else the more you pay the better quality the cushioning is. Gel shorts are really nice. Nashbar has a great selection and good prices.

Another thing to think about and a little more money. Go to a good LBS and get measured for a seat. Everyone’s “sit bones” are different. All seats are not one size fits all.

And as others have said, your bike to seat interface will get conditioned with more seat time.

Thank you xx
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    You gotta suck it up and wear the shorts. If they put the padding on the seat and you wear thin shorts, then there's too much friction and you get blisters. When the padding is in the shorts, it moves with your skin, and that works better. Yes, the shorts then feel really stupid when you are walking around, but--man-oh-man, do they work well (at least as well as possible and way better than nothing) when riding.
  • vermilionflower
    vermilionflower Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    sarah79a wrote: »
    I have padded pants but feels like I'm wearing a massive nappy, so never worn them to class, today's class was nearly all seated sprints

I wear mine anyway, it makes such a difference.
  • Sarahlouise5A
    Sarahlouise5A Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Wore my padded pants and what a difference. Do spinning quite a few times now, but struggling with a blister on my foot off the strap on the pedal
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    Wore my padded pants and what a difference. Do spinning quite a few times now, but struggling with a blister on my foot off the strap on the pedal

There's a solution for that, too! "Clipless pedals" and (of course) fancy shoes with cleats. Most spinning bikes have clips on one side and clipless on the other. (Some studios have clipless-only bikes-- you have to figure that out.)

I like the recessed "Shimano-SPD" style, which are much safer when walking (and are most common at spinning studios). REI carries them online and in-store. (Or bargain hunt on nashbar.com if you like).
  • HappyKat5
    HappyKat5 Posts: 369 Member
    Options

If you’re going to stick with Spinning even if it’s only 2 days a week, I would invest in cycling shoes...mine cost about $70 and they have totally changed how I feel about Spinning. Your foot doesn’t get tired or achy and you can really focus on the proper form. I just clip in and I off!

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,506 Member
    Options
    You gotta suck it up and wear the shorts. If they put the padding on the seat and you wear thin shorts, then there's too much friction and you get blisters. When the padding is in the shorts, it moves with your skin, and that works better. Yes, the shorts then feel really stupid when you are walking around, but--man-oh-man, do they work well (at least as well as possible and way better than nothing) when riding.

Worth noting

Cycling shorts are best worn commando.
  • kayak4water
    kayak4water Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I've never gone to a spin class, but I did once ride one of those stationary bikes and found the seat bloody cruel.
    If I were considering such a thing, I'd investigate whether I could use the saddle from my bicycle. it would only really be practical if my bike's seatpost diameter was the same as that of the stationary bike. Then I could just substitute my saddle for the stationary bike saddle.

FWIW, my saddle is a leather Brooks B-17, which is really comfortable now that it's broken in. A little spendy at > $100, but nothing else worked for me.